View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Yes, Until the retcon is undone Wanda isn't a mutant
    Well I'm certain that Hickman is using the word in the way I've described, which is the correct way to use it. It actually doesn't matter whether she is a mutant or not. Just because you don't understand the meaning of the word doesn't mean the writer also doesn't.

Charles II of Britain was the rightful king of England, but was a pretender until the restoration when he became king. The Cardinal Duke of York was a pretender who had no real claim to the throne. This is the correct definition of the word and the writer is absolutely certainly using it this way.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Okay so what title or rank is she actively claiming cause it ain’t Magneto’s daughter or Omega level mutant since she knows she is neither of these things at the moment
    She isn't, and doesn't have to. She can be put forward or proposed by others and be considered a pretender. That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Well I'm certain that Hickman is using the word in the way I've described, which is the correct way to use it. It actually doesn't matter whether she is a mutant or not. Just because you don't understand the meaning of the word doesn't mean the writer also doesn't.

Charles II of Britain was the rightful king of England, but was a pretender until the restoration when he became king. The Cardinal Duke of York was a pretender who had no real claim to the throne. This is the correct definition of the word and the writer is absolutely certainly using it this way.
    Okay who is saying that? You gave examples of themselves doing that and nobody in MU is making such a claim for her either
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 05-02-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Wanda ain’t actively looking to be crowned a queen nor claiming to be someone’s heir
    So you didn't read the definition I posted then?

So you didn't read the definition I posted then?
    I realized my blunder though nobody is making a claim in her name

Okay, I've kind of let this go for a while, but I do have to say something. A lot of people are under the impression that using the word pretender means that she has been pretending to be a mutant. That really isn't what the word is about. It describes someone who has, or believes they have a claim to a title or rank. It's most often used relating to royalty, and can actually be about someone who is a genuine claimant to, for example, a throne. It can also be used to describe someone who might have a genuine claim, but who decides not to press the claim.

So it can be argued that pretender is the absolutely perfect word to describe her, even if she is not looking to press any claim to be accepted as a high ranking mutant. This may well be something that Hickman wants to explore further.

To find more out about this and how the word has been correctly used try reading the history of The Wars Of The Roses.
    Like the Blackfyre pretenders in asoiaf

Incredible Member

It's being used, in that context, about her. Not by her and not by anyone who knows her pushing any claim. It is being used, by some mutants, in that context, to show her in a bad light.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Like the Blackfyre pretenders in asoiaf
    Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    *stares at word “pretender”*

*stares at Sinister*

I guess being a pretender isn’t really all that bad.
    Everyone knows Sinister isn't a natural born mutant but he 1)never depowered 99% of mutants and 2) they need Sinister's dna library for the resurrections.

It's being used, in that context, about her. Not by her and not by anyone who knows her pushing any claim. It is being used, by some mutants, in that context, to show her in a bad light.
    The context is she knew she wasn’t a mutant and claimed to be one anyway or she went along with what others where saying and didn’t correct them, even though this was never the case as she had tests done and cerebro identified her as a mutant before the retcon

Franklin's much more of a pretender than Wanda ever was.

(but Franklin, Wanda, and Pietro need to be un-retconned into mutants again)

Incredible Member

It really is not about "pretending" to be a mutant.

It really is about being used as a scare tactic for children by saying there's possibly someone out there who wants to usurp the rule of the country and take over. Even though she doesn't, and nobody really thinks she does.

It really is not about "pretending" to be a mutant.

It really is about being used as a scare tactic for children by saying there's possibly someone out there who wants to usurp the rule of the country and take over. Even though she doesn't, and nobody really thinks she does.
    Now this I can understand, cause they have labeled her an enemy of the state and Exodus is using her as a devil to children since currently there is nothing they can do to her at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Everyone knows Sinister isn't a natural born mutant but he 1)never depowered 99% of mutants
    You're right.

Sinister depowered 100% of mutants.

It's just that the X-men were able to stop him.

It makes sense that she's called this by a racists zealot that desperately wishes Magneto was his daddy, but I still don't see why actual real people feel the need to follow his example.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You're right.

Sinister depowered 100% of mutants.

It's just that the X-men were able to stop him.

It makes sense that she's called this by a racists zealot that desperately wishes Magneto was his daddy, but I still don't see why actual real people feel the need to follow his example.
    Last i checked they were all fictional characters. Given the zeal at which people defend the Pretender it might give me pause to think otherwise.