View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It was both out of character and being possessed had driven her insane. But I hate comics making insanity = doing evil things. They need to let that trope die in a fire.
    Agreed

Wanda did not try to commit genocide before HoM, nor did she have any negative feelings towards mutants. She had negative ones towards Magneto, but it wasn't all like she wanted to wreck his whole life. She just preferred to stay away from him.
    Well she wanted him in jail while he was ruling Genosha lol but I understand her point, hell Magneto understood her pov and in HoM she wanted to get back at him after he attacked Pietro but before that they seemed to be trying to get along and she appreciated him taking care of her even if she wished to just get back to her life with the Avengers wish wasn´t possible at the moment. I don´t think he sees what she did as an intent to "ruin his life" but it´s not his place to absolve her for decimation, at most he can say it was his fault, like he did on CC and also I guess he´s sad because it separated her from her life with "the humans" as he calls the Avengers because he knows that has been her personal mission and something she´s proud of and right now on the Krakoa era and after Axis I think he´s low key happy she´s back with them but it´s not something he can talk with anyone on Krakoa.

I can see her deciding to attack mutants in moment of pure anger or she could have been possesed but in that case we need to know exactly by who because from what we saw on CC the "life force" just seemed to be a source of power not an entity with a personality of it´s own.

Now in retrospect (a retcon) they make her mentally ill. Without a proper diagnosis or anything. It's just slapped on there haphazardly. Because tropes.
    Comics are never good at tackling mental illness in a belivable way so I think it´s better they don´t get into it just to cover plot-holes, it may be better if they just explain in a clear way what happened.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed

Well she wanted him in jail while he was ruling Genosha lol but I understand her point, hell Magneto understood her pov and in HoM she wanted to get back at him after he attacked Pietro but before that they seemed to be trying to get along and she appreciated him taking care of her even if she wished to just get back to her life with the Avengers wish wasn´t possible at the moment. I don´t think he sees what she did as an intent to "ruin his life" but it´s not his place to absolve her for decimation, at most he can say it was his fault, like he did on CC and also I guess he´s sad because it separated her from her life with "the humans" as he calls the Avengers because he knows that has been her personal mission and something she´s proud of and right now on the Krakoa era and after Axis I think he´s low key happy she´s back with them but it´s not something he can talk with anyone on Krakoa.

I can see her deciding to attack mutants in moment of pure anger or she could have been possesed but in that case we need to know exactly by who because from what we saw on CC the "life force" just seemed to be a source of power not an entity with a personality of it´s own.

Comics are never good at tackling mental illness in a belivable way so I think it´s better they don´t get into it just to cover plot-holes, it may be better if they just explain in a clear way what happened.
    I am talking about most of her life, not that small period in the 90s. Which was also one story and wasn't her trying to wreck his whole life.

Most of the time he's never brought up. She keeps her distance. Even in the early 2000s.

There's no story before Bendis that would indicate that she'd attack mutants. The opposite actually. Because while it also wasn't brought up much overall, she was never ashamed of being a mutant.

If anything, her attacking humans while possessed would have made more sense. After her and Vision's home was burned by a hate mob, she went through a whole arc of hating humans.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I am talking about most of her life, not that small period in the 90s. Which was also one story and wasn't her trying to wreck his whole life.

Most of the time he's never brought up. She keeps her distance. Even in the early 2000s.
    Agreed they often have their own stuff going on and she doesn´t talk about him often or at all.

There's no story before Bendis that would indicate that she'd attack mutants. The opposite actually. Because while it also wasn't brought up much overall, she was never ashamed of being a mutant.
    If anything, her attacking humans while possessed would have made more sense. After her and Vision's home was burned by a hate mob, she went through a whole arc of hating humans.
    Yes I could see that if the story somehow brought back that arc, it would be hard because that was long ago but she could see it as the beggining of how bad things ended between Vision and her twins but they would have to justify that story well and explain why something that happened so long ago still matters to her after being divorced from Vision.

Imo this may be the reason why Bendis and marvel editorial involved Magneto, because while Wanda doesn´t have negative feelings over mutants, she has them over Magneto and that´s why he was brought into the story. Without him I think we would have seen a story like WandaVision in which Wanda is just trying to get her family back.

I agree possesion would be a solution so it would be nice to see a better story of how exactly Wanda got possesed and why the "life force" or whoever did that why they had to attak mutants. We could even bring the Skrulls because Bendis made the reference of them feeling excited over Genosha and mutants being killed because it made earth an easier target for invasion and conquest.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Agreed they often have their own stuff going on and she doesn´t talk about him often or at all.

Yes I could see that if the story somehow brought back that arc, it would be hard because that was long ago but she could see it as the beggining of how bad things ended between Vision and her twins but they would have to justify that story well and explain why something that happened so long ago still matters to her after being divorced from Vision.

Imo this may be the reason why Bendis and marvel editorial involved Magneto, because while Wanda doesn´t have negative feelings over mutants, she has them over Magneto and that´s why he was brought into the story. Without him I think we would have seen a story like WandaVision in which Wanda is just trying to get her family back.

I agree possesion would be a solution so it would be nice to see a better story of how exactly Wanda got possesed and why the "life force" or whoever did that why they had to attak mutants. We could even bring the Skrulls because Bendis made the reference of them feeling excited over Genosha and mutants being killed because it made earth an easier target for invasion and conquest.
    I don't see him even including him because she just never thought about him. He was not a person in her life. And Cap handing her off to him made no sense. She made it clear she just wanted nothing to do with him and she had plenty going on outside of all of that.

It makes less sense that she'd create a false reality for him and not her family with Vision. Her show makes more sense in that regard. The things most important to her would be in the back of her mind to be triggered with possession or a breakdown. The only thing I hate about the show is it used the mental illness trope and made depression seem like it's a selfish illness.

The problem with everything is no one cared what was true for Wanda. It did not matter. Didn't matter what she'd want as a character. She was just the catalyst for the events. And it had nothing to do with anything personal. She had a lot of power, so they gave her another boost to make it possible for her to do it. Plot devices don't get that kind of consideration.

I could see if for the past 10-15 years if her and Mags had gotten close and then had a falling out. Something built up. It just wasn't true for her.

I don't see him even including him because she just never thought about him. He was not a person in her life. And Cap handing her off to him made no sense. She made it clear she just wanted nothing to do with him and she had plenty going on outside of all of that.

It makes less sense that she'd create a false reality for him and not her family with Vision. Her show makes more sense in that regard. The things most important to her would be in the back of her mind to be triggered with possession or a breakdown. The only thing I hate about the show is it used the mental illness trope and made depression seem like it's a selfish illness.

The problem with everything is no one cared what was true for Wanda. It did not matter. Didn't matter what she'd want as a character. She was just the catalyst for the events. And it had nothing to do with anything personal. She had a lot of power, so they gave her another boost to make it possible for her to do it. Plot devices don't get that kind of consideration.

I could see if for the past 10-15 years if her and Mags had gotten close and then had a falling out. Something built up. It just wasn't true for her.
    Yes she was threated as a plot device for the story and yes I don´t see Cap handing her over to Magneto either, it would have made more sense for her to just try to bring back her family without involving Magneto as she plainly doesn´t care about him one way or the other, my point was more about the editorial reason why they decided to involve him if their objective was to reduce the mutant populationEven as a plot device, if that was their objetive then it made sense to involve Magneto, a mutant that she has reason to have negative feelings over if only to justify in a little way the end of the story.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-29-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Yes she was threated as a plot device for the story and yes I don´t see Cap handing her over to Magneto either, it would have made more sense for her to just try to bring back her family without involving Magneto as she plainly doesn´t care about Magneto one way or the other, my point was more about the editorial reason why they decided to involve him if their objective was to reduce the mutant population.
    I think it was just her power. And they did not care about anything else. She's a powerful Avenger. Let's make it so she was always this way but no one realized it because retcons, lol. The money from the events were all that mattered to them.

I think it was just her power. And they did not care about anything else. She's a powerful Avenger. Let's make it so she was always this way but no one realized it because retcons, lol. The money from the events were all that mattered to them.
    Oh agreed, the problem with events they bring the money but not always a good or great storyteling This is why I think it´s very important to bring back her story Pre-AD to get her narratively past HOM.

I just want the Scarlet Witch back in print, I miss Wanda, she belongs in the pages of the Avengers.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    I just want the Scarlet Witch back in print, I miss Wanda, she belongs in the pages of the Avengers.
    Agreed. I just Marvel felt the same way. It's really odd that they've done nothing to capitalize on her show.

Do you believe that, after the Trial of Magneto ends, that Wanda will still be referred to as The Pretender?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Do you believe that, after the Trial of Magneto ends, that Wanda will still be referred to as The Pretender?
    not if she emerges as a mutant. The title will then be moot

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    not if she emerges as a mutant. The title will then be moot
    This title was moot before.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    This title was moot before.
    Its not as it holds meaning in the current era. Less so if whats speculated to happen, actually happens

Astonishing Member

Considering that this whole arc seems more about Eric’s manpain and a flex against the tv/film division; I actually am worried they’ll maintain the moniker and keep Wanda dead

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids;[URL="tel:5623344"
    5623344[/URL]]Considering that this whole arc seems more about Eric’s manpain and a flex against the tv/film division; I actually am worried they’ll maintain the moniker and keep Wanda dead
    That would be a wonderful turn...
    GrindrStone(D)