View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Then of course there's the issue with Mr. Sinister...

I'm just confused why people (real people, not characters), would want to follow in the footsteps of Exodus and use a name he created for propaganda purposes. Let's just be fair, he's not exactly a character whose views and personality have ever been depicted as being something anyone should want to follow.

What's wrong with somebody being an Avenger and a mutant? Is there a law saying every mutant has to live on an island and wear Xs on their clothes?
    Simple question what did wanda do for the mutants again? I mean she was in the Avengers she was one of if not their most powerful member with that influence what did wanda do? Has she ever complained that she wished she was a mutant since the retcon?

The whole pretender title for Wanda is just silly. Wanda didn't pretend to be anything and the label is frankly just a dumb bandwagon for people to jump on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The whole pretender title for Wanda is just silly. Wanda didn't pretend to be anything and the label is frankly just a dumb bandwagon for people to jump on.
    It may be dumb but it sure is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    It may be dumb but it sure is fun.
    Exactly. It's a moniker told to and used by primarily Children. I honestly think its all part of Krakoa trying to build a culture around the history of mutants. I don't think the intention was to be accurate.

Honestly, the only reason I like it is because it gives me hope that this is the start of reversing the retcon or at least letting Pietro back into the mutant fold somehow.

Cause everyone is always Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, when the character to really surfer from this is him. Cause with him dead in the movies and not a mutant in the comics, he might as well not exist now.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Exactly. It's a moniker told to and used by primarily Children. I honestly think its all part of Krakoa trying to build a culture around the history of mutants. I don't think the intention was to be accurate.

Honestly, the only reason I like it is because it gives me hope that this is the start of reversing the retcon or at least letting Pietro back into the mutant fold somehow.

Cause everyone is always Wanda, Wanda, Wanda, when the character to really surfer from this is him. Cause with him dead in the movies and not a mutant in the comics, he might as well not exist now.
    Pietro definitely needs reversed. It's good that PAD is writing him again at least.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Freddie Mercury is the best pretender /thread

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post

I see it as nothing more than a good story beat.

Incredible Member

Okay, I've kind of let this go for a while, but I do have to say something. A lot of people are under the impression that using the word pretender means that she has been pretending to be a mutant. That really isn't what the word is about. It describes someone who has, or believes they have a claim to a title or rank. It's most often used relating to royalty, and can actually be about someone who is a genuine claimant to, for example, a throne. It can also be used to describe someone who might have a genuine claim, but who decides not to press the claim.

So it can be argued that pretender is the absolutely perfect word to describe her, even if she is not looking to press any claim to be accepted as a high ranking mutant. This may well be something that Hickman wants to explore further.

To find more out about this and how the word has been correctly used try reading the history of The Wars Of The Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtynun View Post
    Simple question what did wanda do for the mutants again? I mean she was in the Avengers she was one of if not their most powerful member with that influence what did wanda do? Has she ever complained that she wished she was a mutant since the retcon?
    Why does she have to do anything as the simple fact is that she and her brother were on the original Brotherhood of Evil MUTANTS. Like it or not Wanda and Pietro are part of X-Men folklore whether they were mainly in the Avengers title or not.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Canon states she isn't a mutant which means all her times of her running around as a mutant she wasn't it's not hard to get. Doesn't matter if she didn't know it or not.

Hell similar things have happened to other characters like Cloak and Dagger

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Okay, I've kind of let this go for a while, but I do have to say something. A lot of people are under the impression that using the word pretender means that she has been pretending to be a mutant. That really isn't what the word is about. It describes someone who has, or believes they have a claim to a title or rank. It's most often used relating to royalty, and can actually be about someone who is a genuine claimant to, for example, a throne. It can also be used to describe someone who might have a genuine claim, but who decides not to press the claim.

So it can be argued that pretender is the absolutely perfect word to describe her, even if she is not looking to press any claim to be accepted as a high ranking mutant. This may well be something that Hickman wants to explore further.

To find more out about this and how the word has been correctly used try reading the history of The Wars Of The Roses.
    But she isn't a mutant.

Pretender is used because they claim she was pretending to be a mutant

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    But she isn't a mutant.

Pretender is used because they claim she was pretending to be a mutant
    Okay, so you actually think that Hickman doesn't know the correct usage of the word then. Is that really what you think?

Okay, so you actually think that Hickman doesn't know the correct usage of the word then. Is that really what you think?
    Yes, Until the retcon is undone Wanda isn't a mutant

Nobody ever said that.

It's the characters he's writing that are miss using it, possibly on purpose.

Okay so what title or rank is she actively claiming cause it ain’t Magneto’s daughter or Omega level mutant since she knows she is neither of these things at the moment
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!