View Poll Results: Should Scarlet Witch be called The Pretender?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! She’s the Pretender!

62 38.04%
  • No! Stop calling her that!

101 61.96%
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You're right.

Sinister depowered 100% of mutants.

It's just that the X-men were able to stop him.

It makes sense that she's called this by a racists zealot that desperately wishes Magneto was his daddy, but I still don't see why actual real people feel the need to follow his example.
    People voted for Boris Johnson in the UK even though they knew he was a liar and a racist. People follow populist views.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Last i checked they were all fictional characters. Given the zeal at which people defend the Pretender it might give me pause to think otherwise.
    For the most part nobody is defending her for her indefensible actions. What she did was horrible, but she is getting defense for a title that doesn’t seem to fit her. In my opinion it would have been better to call her The Deceiver.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Or maybe call her The Beldame to coincide with her witch title

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Question

Last i checked they were all fictional characters. Given the zeal at which people defend the Pretender it might give me pause to think otherwise.
    Defending a character one is a fan of and standing up for them gives pause about what exactly?!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    For the most part nobody is defending her for her indefensible actions. What she did was horrible, but she is getting defense for a title that doesn’t seem to fit her. In my opinion it would have been better to call her The Deceiver.
    It advances a narrative Exodus seems to want to create for her, so it fits for him. I don't know why he wants to push this yet, but it's another thing I find intriguing about the whole set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    It advances a narrative Exodus seems to want to create for her, so it fits for him. I don't know why he wants to push this yet, but it's another thing I find intriguing about the whole set-up.
    I agree it’s intriguing and I want to see how this ends not only with Wanda, but more importantly the alternative that comes to the Crucible and mutantkind’s understanding of how important life is even when you can resurrect.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

This reminds me too much of the Cyclops is Hitler stuff. I wasn't a fan of it for him, so I can't say I'm a fan of the concept now.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Okay, so you actually think that Hickman doesn't know the correct usage of the word then. Is that really what you think?
    This is what I was hinting at in my post too. Like you, I could just be giving Hickman too much credit, but when it was confirmed Powers of X was "Powers of Ten" I immediately thought of the film and it ended up being the case that Hickman was borrowing the not just the title, but the theme. So I would not be surprised if something as arguably inaccurate as Pretender does not in fact have a double meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    I agree it’s intriguing and I want to see how this ends not only with Wanda, but more importantly the alternative that comes to the Crucible and mutantkind’s understanding of how important life is even when you can resurrect.
    No, i'm good without it. Even ecause this gonna take years to solve

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Defending a character one is a fan of and standing up for them gives pause about what exactly?!
    Gives me pause to think they are real...

Lightbulb

Gives me pause to think they are real...
    Passion is passion, but if we want true change it needs to be focused on where the problems are really and that is editorial and hold them to why they keep these problems going. If their are ways for fans to communicate with them they should start a discussion about it.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Passion is passion, but if we want true change it needs to be focused on where the problems are really and that is editorial and hold them to why they keep these problems going. If their are ways for fans to communicate with them they should start a discussion about it.
    well, as you can see by the poll this is a hotly divisive topic. And i am sure the editors have faith in their writers to do something good with it. She is not a real person so calling her names is not going to hurt anyone. It does make for hella drama and thats what stories need to be valid and engaging.

well, as you can see by the poll this is a hotly divisive topic. And i am sure the editors have faith in their writers to do something good with it. She is not a real person so calling her names is not going to hurt anyone. It does make for hella drama and thats what stories need to be valid and engaging.
    I think it is at this point the hope that writers can gain the trust of fans to do such a story to explain it and bring things to hopefully a conclusion, but the problems is always been trust and if they can have fans trust to be respectful to both sides of the story if they proceed going forward from this plot point.

I think it is at this point the hope that writers can gain the trust of fans to do such a story to explain it and bring things to hopefully a conclusion, but the problems is always been trust and if they can have fans trust to be respectful to both sides of the story if they proceed going forward from this plot point.
    I have a very strong feeling wanda will come out on top. I even think mutants will be forced to deal with their own hubris and hypocrisy in how they have treated her. In fact, i feel so strongly about this, it is why i love wanda being the pretender, because i want it all to come to a head for these very reasons.

I have a very strong feeling wanda will come out on top. I even think mutants will be forced to deal with their own hubris and hypocrisy in how they have treated her. In fact, i feel so strongly about this, it is why i love wanda being the pretender, because i want it all to come to a head for these very reasons.
    Indeed whatever are the outcomes of any stories told coming up I keep hoping it will work out for both sides. It is good for anyside to face and deal with problems they have and to hopefully even threw hard stories on them to develop better from it, to show the evolution in storytelling and character development.