Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    There are kind of two big problems with putting Lian on Arrow or Titans.

The problem with Green Arrow is that he doesn't have a book at the moment, and even if he has one this franchise can't carry more than one book, which massively limits the amount of support characters that franchise can support. Even Roy barely appears in Green Arrow, I think since he stopped being Ollies sidekick in the 70s, he has only been in a hand full of Green Arrow stories.
    That simply doesn't work for Green Arrow (or basically any other DC Character outside of Batman and maybe Superman), Green Arrow has at best a single book (and doesn't really have big events, digital first or anthology series), you can't put that many support characters on the book before you start taking away from the lead character.

In team books you are also kind of limited in the amount of characters you can have, if you want to give every character a decent amount of screen time, and the usually try to give all characters different power sets and characters from different franchises (you will hardly ever see a team book that has a Robin and a Batgirl in the main cast, unless that book is part of the Batman franchise). You could of course put Emiko and Lian on different book, but DC doesn't really has much books with teenage superhero teams (at the moment only Titan Academy iirc) and Emiko and Lian seem to be about the same age which makes it even harder to find different teams for them.

Btw. turning Lian into a Cheshire/Catwoman style character and not in an Archer might make it actually easier to but her on a team with Emiko, since they are not competing for the "Archer slot".
    I've brought this up in other threads. I agree that Green Arrow is in that position where his cast is big enough to have more than one title, but he doesn't have enough sustainability to keep more than one title. And even then, his solo title doesn't usually sell that well. The only chance Green Arrow had for more than one title was during the peak years of the Arrow TV show, and even then that didn't help boost sales for the GA solo comic. I'm sure Green Arrow is just taking a break, for now, to make the desire for a solo book much greater than would've been if they just continued. That still doesn't solve Green Arrow's large cast problem.

Ultimately I suggested that the Arrow cast either gets a max-limited series (because DC has been loving doing those) starring one of the more popular Arrow side characters like Black Canary or Roy Harper. Personally, I would love a limited series with Roy and Lian (and maybe Cheshire). Another idea I had is team Arrow highjack an underutilized superhero team name, incorporate one or two A-Listers on the rosters to help sell the title (Batman & Team Arrow?), and a spin-off from there.

I know this is an off-tangent of Aging in the DC Universe, but all this talk about Green Arrow is drawn by the fact that Lian is now a teenager, which is about the ages of the DC Universe.

I would love it if the DC universe (or the Marvel one) aged like our real world with a few characters that don't age (or age much slower). I'm thinking aliens and demigods wouldn't age the same as regular folk; Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter, for example. Also, it would be rad if the public thought of Batman as an "immortal" figure like Superman or Wonder Woman too, but we the readers know that The Batman was Bruce, then Dick, then Tim and then Damien (or something like that). Kind of like The Phantom. I think this would be super interesting and if DC did a Universe of stories with this kind of premise, like Marvel Ultimate or something, I'd buy it.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I would love it if the DC universe (or the Marvel one) aged like our real world with a few characters that don't age (or age much slower). I'm thinking aliens and demigods wouldn't age the same as regular folk; Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter, for example. Also, it would be rad if the public thought of Batman as an "immortal" figure like Superman or Wonder Woman too, but we the readers know that The Batman was Bruce, then Dick, then Tim and then Damien (or something like that). Kind of like The Phantom. I think this would be super interesting and if DC did a Universe of stories with this kind of premise, like Marvel Ultimate or something, I'd buy it.
    Something like Spider-Man Life Story? That could be a great idea!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    The age thing doesn't really apply to Batman, if we were going to be "realistic" then the wear and tear on his body would take him out way before old age does.
    Not only that, but the sidekicks could never, ever hope to be the equal of him from the beatings they received at such a young age.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I am not attacking you here because what you've said from a marketing point of view is sadly 100% right, but it's a really shitty way of looking at it - Batman literally hangs around with four white straight boys with black hair who are all martial artist ex-sidekicks and nobody has an issue with that, the idea that Lian and Emiko can't coexist purely because they're both Asian and use similar weapons is ridiculous when you can differentiate them personality-wise as easily as you can all the Robins.
    They can, but not on the same team. It's rare any of the Robins work together with an extended period because it just leads to poor team dynamics from a skill point.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    Ultimately I suggested that the Arrow cast either gets a max-limited series (because DC has been loving doing those) starring one of the more popular Arrow side characters like Black Canary or Roy Harper. Personally, I would love a limited series with Roy and Lian (and maybe Cheshire). Another idea I had is team Arrow highjack an underutilized superhero team name, incorporate one or two A-Listers on the rosters to help sell the title (Batman & Team Arrow?), and a spin-off from there.
    Problem with that is that basically of DCs franchises (including Batman) have the same problem, of to many characters for the books they can support.

And I guess of the bigger franchises Arrow is one with the smallest chance of the supporting characters (maybe with exception of Black Canary) being able to carry books, simply because the main book is usually already pretty low selling.

As Batman first appeared in 1939 in his twenties, I would guess, he would have had to have been born by 1917. ! don't want to read about a 104 year old Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    As Batman first appeared in 1939 in his twenties, I would guess, he would have had to have been born by 1917. ! don't want to read about a 104 year old Batman!
    Well that's what appeals to the pro-aging people - they know that a 104 yo Batman won't fly, so Dick or Damian will have to be Batman!
    As a Bruce Wayne Batman fan, I've no interest in that.

Speak for yourself, look at him in all his glory

Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Actually, the Golden Age Batman (or rather, the Earth Two Batman) was born in 1915. So that'd be 106 years

Honestly, that's not what I'm in favor of, outside of Elseworlds or Black Label type of situations.

My understanding of the ''ageing'' issue is not that I want characters to age in real-time and/or permanently age out of certain roles.

My point is that if you want to have the ''illusion of change'' as far as the evolution of certain characters and franchises go, then you need to be prepared to commit to it. If you want there to be three generations of Robins (Jason, Tim and arguably Steph are the same generation, more or less), then you shouldn't be afraid to admit that Bruce Wayne is closer to 45 than 35. If Supeman's gonna have a teenage kid, then don't try to convince me that he and Lois are under-40. Yes these characters may all look younger, either because of their powers or being in great shape or whatever, but their youth doesn't have to be a selling point, the way it supposedly was during the New 52 - especially not at the expense of building a cohesive universe and timeline.

When most actors playing superheroes are in their late thirties or forties, if not older, and the idea of superhero legacies is increasingly becoming part of adaptations as well, I don't see the problem with letting them get a little older on page.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    If Supeman's gonna have a teenage kid, then don't try to convince me that he and Lois are under-40.
    I mean, when I was 10 my parents were still under 40 (they had me in their early 20s).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, when I was 10 my parents were still under 40 (they had me in their early 20s).
    Same here. My parents were 33 when I turned 10, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

There are kind of two big problems with putting Lian on Arrow or Titans.

The problem with Green Arrow is that he doesn't have a book at the moment, and even if he has one this franchise can't carry more than one book, which massively limits the amount of support characters that franchise can support. Even Roy barely appears in Green Arrow, I think since he stopped being Ollies sidekick in the 70s, he has only been in a hand full of Green Arrow stories.

The other big problems you have in Titans and Green Arrow is that we have there already one Half Asian archer girl with an Assassin as Mother Emiko, which makes Lian there kind of redundant.

Thats in general a problem they have when they bring back the characters that were erased by Flashpoint, in most cases you don't really have any book to put them in. Just look what is going on with Steph and Cassandra, that's very likely going to be similar with Lian and Connor in the future.
    Wouldn’t being the daughter of an original titans villain and founding member trump emiko? Also having her on the titans can keep that separation between generations permanent.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Speak for yourself, look at him in all his glory

Old Batman is best Batman in my opinion. I like a cranky old Bruce. It's 30ish dick Batman I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Also having her on the titans can keep that separation between generations permanent.
    And this is desirable why?