Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

This seemed like a good thread for this, so I will say there is definitely a lot of evidence as of late that characters certainly got aged up thanks to Infinite Frontier.

I mean lets look at the list real quick of some things that give the idea that characters are aged up now

-Gordon is back to being gray, revealing that he just did his hair. Barbara is at least late 20's or older right now as Oracle.
    -Superman is getting a touch of gray in Superman and the Authority
    -Katana has gray hair now in Next Batman
    -Titans are all adult teachers
    -Wally West is a dad and husband again
    -Lian daughter of Roy Harper is now a teenager
    -Damian is now 14
    -Conner in Suicide Squad looks at least late teens early 20's
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    This seemed like a good thread for this, so I will say there is definitely a lot of evidence as of late that characters certainly got aged up thanks to Infinite Frontier.

I mean lets look at the list real quick of some things that give the idea that characters are aged up now

-Gordon is back to being gray, revealing that he just did his hair. Barbara is at least late 20's or older right now as Oracle.
    -Damian is now 14
    Yeah, the whole thing with Lian is what really makes this whole thing confusing. I still find it hard to believe that he has a full-grown teenage daughter now, given that I don't think he has aged much since then. Like, the assumption is that he had her when he was a teen, but even then he would be like 30 now, and I don't think he's 30. Ultimately I think that would be the implication unless they reveal Lian is actually younger than she looks.

Astonishing Member

-Damian is now 14
    Isn't Superman and the Authority an out-of-continuity/Black Label kind of thing?

Next Batman is, to my knowledge, a Future State book so the characters are bound to look older.

As for the rest, yeah I feel that Dick's generation should be close to 30 by now if not already past it, while Tim's generation should be in their early 20's.

The JL founder generation of Bruce, Clark, Diana, Barry etc. really works at any age between 20-45 to be their iconic ''in their prime selves''. Especially for Clark and Diana who either age very slowly or not at all.

My idea behind pushing this group into their early forties is not to make them ''old'' but to make it plausible enough that their younger sidekicks can age up. If Bruce is around 45, then it makes sense for Dick to be around 30 and Tim to be around 21, or Damian to be 14.

We can't have ''lasting change'' within a mainstream continuity that is theoretically designed to go on forever. But we can have the ''illusion of change'', as Stan Lee used to call it. And honestly, I think after 80 years of publication history, Bruce and Clark being around for 20 years in-universe is a good recognition of their legacy and long-runner status.

Next Batman Second Son isn't set in Future State, it's set in current continuity. It's a prequel to Future State: Next Batman, of course, but the same can be said of Teen Titans Academy and Future State: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    Yeah, the whole thing with Lian is what really makes this whole thing confusing. I still find it hard to believe that he has a full-grown teenage daughter now, given that I don't think he has aged much since then. Like, the assumption is that he had her when he was a teen, but even then he would be like 30 now, and I don't think he's 30. Ultimately I think that would be the implication unless they reveal Lian is actually younger than she looks.
    Isn't Roy the same age as Dick? He would've been 20 when Lian was born.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Where is that from?
    That would mean a pretty drastic ageing of a lot of characters.
    Lian was born in the NNT era and was only 5 years old when she died.
    If she is a teenager all the Fab5 would have to be in their mid 30s, the Big 6 in their late 40s, and the YJ4 in their mid to late 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Where is that from?
    If she is a teenager all the Fab5 would have to be in their mid 30s, the Big 6 in their late 40s, and the YJ4 in their mid to late 20s.
    They revealed in the dc Asian superheroes special that Shoes/Cheshire Cat who is kind of Catwoman’s new sidekick is actually Lian Harper, and she’s definitely older then last we saw her. However she doesn’t remember who she is so supposedly the implication is she suffered trauma from the events that would have killed her and her mother while she was incapacitated dropped her off at an orphanage.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I feel like they would've aged Lian up to Damian's age of she never died

I wonder what made DC bring her back after all this time and with a Catwoman connection out of all things. Also doesn't this age Roy up to at least 30?
    Last edited by 9th.; 05-12-2021 at 03:28 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Where is that from?
    This is the way it should be
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

They revealed in the dc Asian superheroes special that Shoes/Cheshire Cat who is kind of Catwoman’s new sidekick is actually Lian Harper, and she’s definitely older then last we saw her. However she doesn’t remember who she is so supposedly the implication is she suffered trauma from the events that would have killed her and her mother while she was incapacitated dropped her off at an orphanage.
    Is that set in the present or in future?

Is that set in the present or in future?
    Present day
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Present day
    I don't see how that should work without time travel shenanigans or an similar wired explanation.

She seems to be around 16 in Catwoman, you would need something like 25 year timeline for the DCU to make that work.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The funny thing is, if DC really allowed real-time (or close enough to it) aging and stuck to it, almost all of our favorites would be either retired, semi-retired, or dead. The fact of the matter is the vast majority of readers really don't want this. They want their favorite characters in the driver's seat and no one else to replace them.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The funny thing is, if DC really allowed real-time (or close enough to it) aging and stuck to it, almost all of our favorites would be either retired, semi-retired, or dead. The fact of the matter is the vast majority of readers really don't want this. They want their favorite characters in the driver's seat and no one else to replace them.
    I mean I’m fine with cohabitating, DC has proved for years that readers will follow older versions of characters they like who interact with younger/newer characters such as The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Beyondc and the JSA. Not to mention they will use whatever convenient method they will to keep characters young-ish, Alan Scott is 100 but through magic he’s still looks like a man in his 60’s.

So what if Batman happens to be mid to late 40’s or even early 50’s we have seen plenty examples of real life people who look great in their 50’s (Tom Cruise or Paul Rudd) or even older like Stephen Lang (dude is 68 and jacked). So I think we can live in a world with an older Bruce and a young Jace, or an older Clark and young Jon, and so on.
    Words to live by.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I mean I’m fine with cohabitating, DC has proved for years that readers will follow older versions of characters they like who interact with younger/newer characters such as The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Beyondc and the JSA. Not to mention they will use whatever convenient method they will to keep characters young-ish, Alan Scott is 100 but through magic he’s still looks like a man in his 60’s.

So what if Batman happens to be mid to late 40’s or even early 50’s we have seen plenty examples of real life people who look great in their 50’s (Tom Cruise or Paul Rudd) or even older like Stephen Lang (dude is 68 and jacked). So I think we can live in a world with an older Bruce and a young Jace, or an older Clark and young Jon, and so on.
    If you're middle-aged, you're not going to be at your peak. That's just a fact. The greats of sports who can still play in their forties are not the same as they were when they were younger (and wresting doesn't count, of course (. That's without getting into fights with supervillains and assorted henchmen on a daily basis.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If you're middle-aged, you're not going to be at your peak. That's just a fact. The greats of sports who can still play in their forties are not the same as they were when they were younger (and wresting doesn't count, of course (. That's without getting into fights with supervillains and assorted henchmen on a daily basis.
    Okay but this is also comics, to keep using Batman as a reference just a few months ago he had a black lantern ring and a talking alien starfish, so I think him being a little older while fighting will be fine.
    Words to live by.