Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Uhhh, DC had Earth-Two and I don't mean the Nu52 version, I mean the Pre-Crisis versions where all the heroes got old and had kids who grew up to become heroes themselves while the 'main' heroes stayed young in their own universe.

A shame they got rid of it because they need it now more than ever.
    Yes, a properly done Multiverse would allow for multiple takes that have a higher chance of getting different audiences.

Some want story progression with aging and mantle passing. Meanwhile, there are always going to be fans and creators who want to read/work on new twists of the iconic characters. Stubbornly wanting it to be one or the other leaves money on the table either way.

I'm not remotely feeling this Jon Kent nonsense though, if only because WB/DC don't instill confidence that they don't just want to get rid of Clark because they are sick of him (even before he arrives at the low point that Barry and Hal previously reached when Wally and Kyle replaced them) but still want to make money off of his logo.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 05-02-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not remotely feeling this Jon Kent nonsense though, if only because WB/DC don't instill confidence that they don't just want to get rid of Clark because they are sick of him (even before he arrives at the low point that Barry and Hal previously reached when Wally and Kyle replaced them) but still want to make money off of his logo.
    I'm worried about this too. Superman is one of my favorite characters, but it feels like WB doesn't know what to do with him, so want to just replace Clark with a new Superman they feel they can profit off of more. I'm...not enthused.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Long term, I can't see DC/WB getting rid of Clark permanently. Obviously, that would be kind of crazy. discarding the most iconic superhero of all-time. Short term? Different story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm worried about this too. Superman is one of my favorite characters, but it feels like WB doesn't know what to do with him, so want to just replace Clark with a new Superman they feel they can profit off of more. I'm...not enthused.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Long term, I can't see DC/WB getting rid of Clark permanently. Obviously, that would be kind of crazy. discarding the most iconic superhero of all-time. Short term? Different story.
    Best case scenario is something like the Peter/Miles stuff. Which I'm not thrilled about but could certainly deal with (I respect the well earned success of Miles, but I'm generally not interested in any Spider-Man save Peter).

On the live action front, MCU more than gave Steve Rogers his due and made audiences love him before retiring him and letting the story continue with Sam. So that all feels earned, that's how you do it. Depending on how the new Superman reboot pans out, if it's a different character, it's going to reek of "we kept fucking up with Clark, and it's somehow his fault as a character, so let's pivot to make out jobs easier."

Best case scenario is something like the Peter/Miles stuff. Which I'm not thrilled about but could certainly deal with (I respect the well earned success of Miles, but I'm generally not interested in any Spider-Man save Peter).

On the live action front, MCU more than gave Steve Rogers his due and made audiences love him before retiring him and letting the story continue with Sam. So that all feels earned, that's how you do it. Depending on how the new Superman reboot pans out, if it's a different character, it's going to reek of "we kept fucking up with Clark, and it's somehow his fault as a character, so let's pivot to make out jobs easier."
    The only thing Clark needs is maybe a little of a makeover, that's all. The idea that he can't work today... I don't get it (as you would agree).

As it stands, on the film front, with the racebending and the more political writing leanings of the writer that they've chosen, even if it is Cark, it might not feel like Clark. Sort of changing everything but the name kind of thing, that's my worry. I'm really hoping the reboot Superman is one of DC's actual black Supermen and not Clark, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be "new and improved" Clark, which just feels like the wrong way to add diversity to their film slate when they have actual POC characters just begging for a film. WB just doesn't want Clark right now, so they'll change him in the larger media scape, and there's the worry that the comics will follow suit. We might wind up with two Superman titles starring Jon Superman and Val-Zod Superman. And Clark will just be out for a while...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    DC is a business with IPs worth potentially billions of dollars. Having a character like Bruce Wayne age in real time and eventually retire would be incredibly short sighted.

We can’t expect our favorite heroes to age along with us as the current crop of comic book fans are just a tiny drop in the overall bucket. DC/WB is probably planning ways to generate interest from mainstream audiences and the next generation of fans.
    People wdont care about Bruce Wayne they care about Batman. I guess DC is gonna wait for the public to force them to remove Bruce which honestly explain Jace presence. in 8 year we may see a live action Jace the way we are seeing a live action Sam as captain america

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    People wdont care about Bruce Wayne they care about Batman.
    For most superheroes, yes, but Bruce Wayne is one of the exceptions. One of the few secret identities that everybody knows about.

People wdont care about Bruce Wayne they care about Batman. I guess DC is gonna wait for the public to force them to remove Bruce which honestly explain Jace presence. in 8 year we may see a live action Jace the way we are seeing a live action Sam as captain america
    ...you're kidding right? You really see the public deciding to "force" DC to remove Bruce Wayne?

...you're kidding right? You really see the public deciding to "force" DC to remove Bruce Wayne?
    If the mainstream audience mirrored the one here on this site, goodbye Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If the mainstream audience mirrored the one here on this site, goodbye Bruce!
    Yeah, you do realize that the mainstream audience is nothing like the Batman hating posters who are super abundant on this forum right?
    Honestly, this forum is so, so, so weird with all the Batman/Bruce haters that are concentrated here. It's like this forum exists on Bizarro World...

Extraordinary Member

Eventually as marvel continues to diversify their on screen lineup
    They will eventually be forced to updated their trinity

Eventually as marvel continues to diversify their on screen lineup
    They will eventually be forced to updated their trinity
    Or they'll just, you know, actually use their existing non-Trinity POC characters right? Like, that's a legit and more likely option. Well, except that they're already racebending Superman on their own without the public pushing for that. But yeah, rather than replacing Bruce, I think the better option is just give Vixen and Steel and Bumblebee and Cyborg and Mr. Terrific movies.

Yeah, you do realize that the mainstream audience is nothing like the Batman hating posters who are super abundant on this forum right?
    Honestly, this forum is so, so, so weird with all the Batman/Bruce haters that are concentrated here. It's like this forum exists on Bizarro World...
    Heh. It was extremely weird reading some of the comments for the first time a decade ago.

The mainstream audience shows no signs of getting sick of Bruce. He has a new film trilogy on the way after all. Aside from some voices on this forum that say the mainstream only likes Batman but not the character of Bruce, there isn't any meaningful evidence to back that up.

A live action Jace could work, never say never. But if we get that before Dick as Batman II (or just a good adaptation of Dick in film in general, as either Robin or Nightwing) I'm going to be pretty pissed. Any creative decision for another successor Batman usually involves kneecapping Dick in some capacity to justify doing it, but WB doesn't have much incentive to go without Bruce period.