Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think aging isnt something that DC should be scared of and something that they should embrace. When you halt a character from really aging for 20 years it stunts the story potential. How long does Beast Boy/Raven have to go through teen issues?

If DC did a simple "2 years in the real world = 1 year in comics/24 issues" that gives them 20 years to tell 10 years in the comics. Seeing Bruce age and how he has to adapt to that would be great, he goes from wearing spandex everyday to creating a more super powered Bat suit that makes up for his age.

And of course DC loves a good reboot so once your characters get to old you do a reboot and start from scratch again. Comics are like soap operas where they arent as big as they used to be and they need to be changed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The mainstream audience shows no signs of getting sick of Bruce. He has a new film trilogy on the way after all. Aside from some voices on this forum that say the mainstream only likes Batman but not the character of Bruce, there isn't any meaningful evidence to back that up.

A live action Jace could work, never say never. But if we get that before Dick as Batman II (or just a good adaptation of Dick in film in general, as either Robin or Nightwing) I'm going to be pretty pissed. Any creative decision for another successor Batman usually involves kneecapping Dick in some capacity to justify doing it, but WB doesn't have much incentive to go without Bruce period.
    Wait, you actually want Dick Grayson to become Batman? Isn't the whole point of Nightwing that Dick ISN'T Batman and never will want to become like him. That's why I wish he would change his suit into this https://i.pinimg.com/474x/52/0e/14/5...711b51d42e.jpg

A colorful suit that shows Dick can live a life Bruce can't. Like, I to enjoyed the Batman & Robin dynamic between Dick and Damian, but I didn't actually want Dick to be tied down into that role.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think it'd be a great story where Dick feels like he's obligated to take up the mantle and spends a couple of months/year as Batman before ultimately giving it up and returning to Nightwing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think it'd be a great story where Dick feels like he's obligated to take up the mantle and spends a couple of months/year as Batman before ultimately giving it up and returning to Nightwing.
    isnt that what happened

I think aging isnt something that DC should be scared of and something that they should embrace. When you halt a character from really aging for 20 years it stunts the story potential. How long does Beast Boy/Raven have to go through teen issues?

If DC did a simple "2 years in the real world = 1 year in comics/24 issues" that gives them 20 years to tell 10 years in the comics. Seeing Bruce age and how he has to adapt to that would be great, he goes from wearing spandex everyday to creating a more super powered Bat suit that makes up for his age.

And of course DC loves a good reboot so once your characters get to old you do a reboot and start from scratch again. Comics are like soap operas where they arent as big as they used to be and they need to be changed up.
    Stunting the story potential is only a thing if the audience doesn't rotate out, or you don't get new writers with new ideas. I mean, teens today aren't like teens when I was growing up, and that was just the 2000's. Find writers who can tell new stories about Beast Boy and Raven as teenagers that echo with modern teenage themes. You can change the stories up without aging the characters up and out of relevancy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wait, you actually want Dick Grayson to become Batman? Isn't the whole point of Nightwing that Dick ISN'T Batman and never will want to become like him. That's why I wish he would change his suit into this https://i.pinimg.com/474x/52/0e/14/5...711b51d42e.jpg

A colorful suit that shows Dick can live a life Bruce can't. Like, I to enjoyed the Batman & Robin dynamic between Dick and Damian, but I didn't actually want Dick to be tied down into that role.
    I wouldn't want any other permanent Batman except Bruce, but if we had to have one or if we need a temporary successor, Dick is the only one I'd be interested in. In either comics or adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Stunting the story potential is only a thing if the audience doesn't rotate out, or you don't get new writers with new ideas. I mean, teens today aren't like teens when I was growing up, and that was just the 2000's. Find writers who can tell new stories about Beast Boy and Raven as teenagers that echo with modern teenage themes. You can change the stories up without aging the characters up and out of relevancy.
    Raven was the same age as Dick, Wally and Donna when she debuted, and Gar wasn't that much younger. They are not going to cease being relevant if they are just written to be the age they are supposed to be, which isn't all that much older than teens. For all the problems the the Titans generation faces, being stuck in the vague 20s age range (like the JL are in the 30s-40s age range) isn't one of them,

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I really like how wrestling is becoming popular again because there are wrestlers in their 40s that are basically doing what Batman does and they're still great. Some are doing their best work at that age. Dustin Rhodes is in his 50s and he's one of the best wrestlers in AEW. The men at DC really have to get over their mid-life crises.
    Honestly, Batman as he's characterized now and with all the Robins + proteges only makes sense as a man in his late 40s to mid 50s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    New audiences can still read older comics that already exist, that's not really a solid point.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'm a great big YES on this.

That was beauty of Earth-2 for me.
    You got to see a possible future where Robin grew up, Bruce got too old to continue being Batman and you saw the kids stepping up.

As a BIG reader in the 90's I also admit I'm more than a little biased. I loved Connor (GA), Kyle (GL), Kon (Supes), Cassie (WW), Jaime (BB) and Grant (Damage)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Raven was the same age as Dick, Wally and Donna when she debuted, and Gar wasn't that much younger. They are not going to cease being relevant if they are just written to be the age they are supposed to be, which isn't all that much older than teens. For all the problems the the Titans generation faces, being stuck in the vague 20s age range (like the JL are in the 30s-40s age range) isn't one of them,
    Eh, I'm not a fan of aging up Dick, Wally, or Donna either. Mostly because they worked in that particular teen niche, that DC needs to have filled, and once they were aged out of it they needed to be replaced by new teen characters, and that's how we ended up with the absurdity of four Robins. To me, that's a pretty condemning argument against aging up some characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    New audiences can still read older comics that already exist, that's not really a solid point.
    New audiences don't read older comics though. That's the habit of older existing fans. So I'd say it's a very solid point. Never mind it's often newer stories that inspire the various media adaptations, with a few classic evergreen exceptions, so you need to keep the characters going with new, set-in-the-present stories to feed that beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    100% agree with you.

Was only thinking about this the other day.

I think the fact that characters don't age is one of the reasons I've lost interest in the teams and characters I used to love as I myself have gotten older.
    Interesting in that I've had the opposite reaction. When I was young, I was cool with reboots. Now, I don't want reboots. I want Superman to have started in 1938 and all of his adventures still happened and just absolutely ignore reality in terms of aging.

Or go opposite to total reality. Superman may be ageless but Lois, Jimmy and Perry died long ago. Batman died long ago. And new heroes have sprung up. But I realize that will never happen and I get why.

I realize that's an extreme minority opinion.

What I'd like is for comics to either be 100% realistic about aging or ignore it altogether, not this slow aging and some age faster than others stuff.

As to solving it through reboots, that might work if they ever 100% committed to the reboot but they don't. This still happened but that didn't and sneak in a soft reboot or twelve and the aging is still unrealistic.

For me, just ignore aging and get on with it. To me, the obsession with realism in that regard is like throwing a fit because Superman doesn't rip away the Earth's atmosphere when he moves at near light speed. Because comic books.
    Power with Girl is better.

Aging characters allows you to tell different and newer stories, I don't know why mainstream comics are so afraid of this concept.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

And then you reach the point when you have to throw out everything done in those twenty years and rehash the whole thing again instead of progressing. Or do a vague reboot that kind of keeps some stuff and kind of doesn't.

The solution over at the other company was to just keep saying everything happened more recently. Personally, I wouldn't harp on Superman having been around since 1938 but I wouldn't outright contradict it.

I realize this is a minority opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Well this goes into DC problem with legacy characters again

Their problem with Bruce being 40

I am happy that Diana has ascended to godhood but I cannot get the logic behind her predecessor leaving an island she is not allowed to leave to become WonderWoman rather then one of her many protege's
    One thing I like about Diana's being ageless and thousands of years old is that they could give her back a lot of her history. She could have come to "Man's World" during World War II with no reason to substitute someone else. I'm not saying they couldn't fudge some on what really happened in the Silver/ Bronze or even Golden Age. But they could maintain the core idea of her history.