Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    It's results in some children dying because their parents refused to seek medical help, child sex abuse, xenophobia or people flying planes onto buildings.
    So I doubt these might be the reason why it's worse than Donald Trump's suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    So I doubt these might be the reason why it's worse than Donald Trump's suggestions.
    Which of Trump's suggestions do you find worse. I am not sure what you are getting at with this thread. Comparing two bad things is never a good argument. "Stalin was bad, but not as bad as Hitler." Both creationism and Donald Trump are bad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Which of Trump's suggestions do you find worse. I am not sure what you are getting at with this thread. Comparing two bad things is never a good argument. "Stalin was bad, but not as bad as Hitler." Both creationism and Donald Trump are bad.
    I could kind of say that about a few of the threads that he asks questions on.

But to answer the question Creationism is a denial of science, and by buying into it it makes it that much easier to deny other science like vaccines and masks and medical saving treatments. It is a slippery slope.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-09-2021 at 06:57 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Like nuking a hurricane or injecting bleach into one's veins.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

These all seem equally bad.

This is akin to asking which dog $%&! tastes worse, Doberman or Labrador?

No one is denying how bad Trump was. But so is creationism. Are you trying to say creationism isn't that bad by comparison. Because teaching religious doctrine instead of science would be just as bad.
    Is your purpose to defend creationism? Or did you just pick something bad at random? If so, again, what point are you trying to make?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Low effort trolling? English as second language, young person trying to provoke conversation but not doing a great job so far?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    These all seem equally bad.

This is akin to asking which dog $%&! tastes worse, Doberman or Labrador?
    I wonder if Harris Glenn Milstead (known professionally as "Divine") could have answered that one?

This actually get to some bigger questions on the political environments that led to the elections of George W Bush and Donald Trump.

The first question is the connection between Trump and religiosity. The conservative writer Russ Douthat had an interesting take in Vox's Weeds podcast. He notes that polls show that Trump won the Republican nomination because he appealed to primary voters who don't go to church. Polls suggested older churchgoers supported Cruz, while younger ones supported Rubio. Trump's base didn't attend church regularly, which may also connect to a larger sense of missing purpose and community.

In the general election, the national trend towards a decline in religious behavior (recent polls have suggested that less than Americans belong to a house of worship) leads to conservative religious voters being more concerned about cultural changes, and willing to support candidates who would otherwise not be their type. Trump appealed to them by picking Pence as a running mate, and emphasizing a preference for conservative supreme court justices who respect freedom of worship.

Bush came in a different era, where church attendance was more regular. There is an argument that a big reason for the decline in religious practice was a backlash against the Republican party in the early 2000s (and a continued backlash against religious support for someone with the obvious low character of Trump.) Bush had some different culture war issues, including whether creationism should be taught in schools.

The creationism question is largely settled with an emphatic NO. This is likely a good thing, as teaching creationism is a bad policy, substituting facts for belief, and trying to make the schools support and increase exposure for something that just isn't true or supported by good-faith evidence. That idea has some implications, like that schools shouldn't worry about facts, and that a correct understanding of how the world came to be isn't relevant to being a good citizen.

Obviously, Trumpism still has the argument that facts don't matter, although it's more about suspicion of authorities rather than trying to get authority figures to validate a particular belief.

TLDR- Both are bad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I don't understand why there needs to be a comparison between these two totally disparate things.

Creationism is bad all on its own, because it demands faith over reason. Reason being one of God's gifts to us, and faith being one of his demands of us.

Taken to its logical conclusion, creationism demands that we accept that God has lied to us about the history of creation, in order to test our faith that He is the is the ultimate judge of truth.

There's a word for that kind of reasoning. Satanic. It ultimately leads to hate, prejudice, and suffering
    Last edited by green_garnish; 05-09-2021 at 04:17 PM.

No one is denying how bad Trump was. But so is creationism. Are you trying to say creationism isn't that bad by comparison. Because teaching religious doctrine instead of science would be just as bad.
    Is your purpose to defend creationism? Or did you just pick something bad at random? If so, again, what point are you trying to make?
    I just ask this cause i've not got any idea why creationism was so bad in the first place before that.

What would be the consequences of creationism if deemed worse than Donald Trump's disastrous suggestions?
    Is Atrocity A worse than Atrocity B?

Not much point here.

How bad is Creationism? Depends on what you associate it with. In and of itself, it's just an ignorant belief that ignores facts kind of like Trumpism.

How would you even determine which is worse? What criteria would there be?

Their commonality is that you cannot reason anyone out of beliefs they never reasoned themselves into to begin with.
    Power with Girl is better.

I just ask this cause i've not got any idea why creationism was so bad in the first place before that.
    Why is it good?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Is Atrocity A worse than Atrocity B?

Not much point here.

How bad is Creationism? Depends on what you associate it with. In and of itself, it's just an ignorant belief that ignores facts kind of like Trumpism.

How would you even determine which is worse? What criteria would there be?

Their commonality is that you cannot reason anyone out of beliefs they never reasoned themselves into to begin with.
    I might prefer a punch to the face to over a kick to the groin, but if given the option, I'd rather have neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I might prefer a punch to the face to over a kick to the groin, but if given the option, I'd rather have neither.
    But when i first heard if that, i didn't even understand why or how religious/spiritual beliefs like creationism might hurt innocent people or ruin the lives of others so badly.
    Last edited by Tyrannoraptor; 05-11-2021 at 10:06 PM.