View Poll Results: Superman. American Icon or Global Icon?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Icon

0 0%
  • Global Icon

0 0%
  • Both

1 100.00%
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Post Superman: American Icon or Global Icon? A Superman Article

An article I've written about the discourse regarding Superman's status as an American icon vs a Global icon has been uploaded on Superman Homepage.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...r-global-icon/
    Last edited by BBally; 02-17-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

Great article!

I broadly agree with everything you've said. Superman is an American icon and a global icon. People across the globe love him, irrespective of his country of origin. I don't think there's any need to suppress or downplay Superman's American identity to appeal to people across the globe, any more than there's a need for, say, Roger Federer to downplay/suppress his Swiss identity to have fans across the globe.

Getting rid of the ''American Way'' has more to do with America's domestic politics and the culture war being waged within than with any serious effort to appeal to global audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Great article!

I broadly agree with everything you've said. Superman is an American icon and a global icon. People across the globe love him, irrespective of his country of origin. I don't think there's any need to suppress or downplay Superman's American identity to appeal to people across the globe, any more than there's a need for, say, Roger Federer to downplay/suppress his Swiss identity to have fans across the globe.

Getting rid of the ''American Way'' has more to do with America's domestic politics and the culture war being waged within than with any serious effort to appeal to global audiences.

Like button here
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Great article!

I wish I did one more edit but sending it in because I remembered that Captain America is a perfect example of this. For years, many assumed Cap wouldn't appeal to an international mainstream audience because of his gimmick being a patriotism based character created for WWII but not only did the MCU prove Captain America could appeal to a non-US audience but his first film First Avenger was actually a bigger success in international markets than in the US, so I could have used that as example regarding how the "American Way" isn't an issue.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Incredible Member

American way isn't going anywhere. Because people will still know it, being used by individuals.
    They could change the costume, the colors, but it is all baked into the mythos right now.
    Corporations are always changing marketing, branding. But how people perceive it is entirely different.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I wish I did one more edit but sending it in because I remembered that Captain America is a perfect example of this. For years, many assumed Cap wouldn't appeal to an international mainstream audience because of his gimmick being a patriotism based character created for WWII but not only did the MCU prove Captain America could appeal to a non-US audience but his first film First Avenger was actually a bigger success in international markets than in the US, so I could have used that as example regarding how the "American Way" isn't an issue.
    Damn! I was going to mention Cap in my post but I didn't for brevity, but you're absolutely right!

I think most audiences across the globe respect Steve Rogers for being a heroic solider and patriot who serves his country. The fact that he's a veteran of WW2, the one war which is widely perceived as being a just ''war against evil'' sure helps.

It's kinda ironic...for all that Disney gets accused of being 'woke', they have zero problems marketing Captain America all across the globe. While someone at DC seems to be a bit ashamed, or at least self-conscious about the ''American Way'' bit for Superman...

Honestly, I'd have preferred if they just dropped the ''American Way'' (which really, is more a nostalgic line that's part of the collective pop-cultural consciousness now than something which is actively used much in new Superman media anyway) and stuck to ''Truth and Justice'', which is commonly what's used anyway. Actively replacing the ''American Way'' with ''A Better World'' is what has stirred up all the controversy and debate, as it seems to imply that the two things are mutually exclusive. It's not the smartest move when it comes to appealing to domestic American audiences, and it's not like global audiences are going to give you brownie points for it. In fact, a lot of people across the world who are patriotic or nationalistic towards their own countries might even look down on this American corporation putting down their country!

My article just went international.

A Spanish Superman site uploaded a Spanish version of my article, translated by Miss Lane on the site. So any Spanish Superman fans interested in reading a Spanish version of the article, here's the link.

https://www.mundosuperman.com/superm...icono-mundial/

Damn! I was going to mention Cap in my post but I didn't for brevity, but you're absolutely right!

I think most audiences across the globe respect Steve Rogers for being a heroic solider and patriot who serves his country. The fact that he's a veteran of WW2, the one war which is widely perceived as being a just ''war against evil'' sure helps.

It's kinda ironic...for all that Disney gets accused of being 'woke', they have zero problems marketing Captain America all across the globe. While someone at DC seems to be a bit ashamed, or at least self-conscious about the ''American Way'' bit for Superman...

Honestly, I'd have preferred if they just dropped the ''American Way'' (which really, is more a nostalgic line that's part of the collective pop-cultural consciousness now than something which is actively used much in new Superman media anyway) and stuck to ''Truth and Justice'', which is commonly what's used anyway. Actively replacing the ''American Way'' with ''A Better World'' is what has stirred up all the controversy and debate, as it seems to imply that the two things are mutually exclusive. It's not the smartest move when it comes to appealing to domestic American audiences, and it's not like global audiences are going to give you brownie points for it. In fact, a lot of people across the world who are patriotic or nationalistic towards their own countries might even look down on this American corporation putting down their country!
    Throughout the years, comic Captain America has been involved in stories that tackled themes like corruption within the American government and other themes could be considered "political" to some people.