Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Who would have thought, that a man accused of sexual assault by many women. Would have a very bad and negative view of an iconic feminist and centered on women lore such as Wonder Woman. Was anybody really surprised?

[Removed by the poster]
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 05-02-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Pretty much this. American Alien was pretty good, but not game changing or revolutionary even before we all learned Max was a creep.

I think he also pitched a Wonder Woman movie where an amnesiac Diana would arrive in our world as an Amazon sleeper agent to topple the patriarchy, and end up siding with us instead of the Amazons. We could do with less of him
    I'm impressed how he managed to hit every branch on the Bad Idea tree on the way down during his descent entirely up his own ass. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm impressed how he managed to hit every branch on the Bad Idea tree on the way down during his descent entirely up his own ass. Jesus.
    All makes me rather happy I missed the hype train on American Alien.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think he was accused of actually raping anyone, but what people described was a really creepy and psychologically abusive person when it comes to romantic relationships. And like, he himself had talked about a lot of those things before, but it was still different hearing it from other women. I had spent hours and hours listening to him talk about all sorts of things and once I read the descritptions women gave I could no longer listen to his voice. It became disturbing. But after those 3 years, I don't know, I still wanted to listen to his ideas. I totally undestand why others absolutely don't.
    There is at least one actual rape allegation but even before then the creep factor was bad. Which is a shame. American Alien is one of the better Superman origins.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    There is at least one actual rape allegation but even before then the creep factor was bad. Which is a shame. American Alien is one of the better Superman origins.
    I found him obnoxious just watching that Best of the Worst video he did with Red Letter Media. He introduced us to the majestic insanity of Neil Breen, but he renders the episode completely unenjoyable with his presence.

This is all making me glad I never heard of Max Landis before today.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There's a lot to like in that book and I still have a copy from before I'd heard about his sordid history, but damn it's hard for me to crack that book open anymore.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There's a lot to like in that book and I still have a copy from before I'd heard about his sordid history, but damn it's hard for me to crack that book open anymore.
    I know. It's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust. The art for his teenage years is some of the best I've ever seen in a Superman comic since Secret Identity but I just can't bring myself to read it again. I also liked his Joker story. It showed what a shallow, aimless, character he really is but I can't enjoy it anymore.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I have this exact same issue with my Warren Ellis comics.

I know. It's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust. The art for his teenage years is some of the best I've ever seen in a Superman comic since Secret Identity but I just can't bring myself to read it again. I also liked his Joker story. It showed what a shallow, aimless, character he really is but I can't enjoy it anymore.
    For a complete creep, he got a murder's row of artists for every single Superman project he had. American Alien is amazing to look at.

This really looks like one of those occasions where things were cut off at exactly the right point before the creator disappeared up their own ass with nonsense. L Because as much as I liked American Alien (and his Christmas Superman short) these ideas sound horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    All makes me rather happy I missed the hype train on American Alien.
    American Alien is actually good though. I mean, whether you can read it now depends on if you can separate the artist from their art or not, I get some people can't. But it's still a pretty decent story that I'd recommend.

As for all his other ideas I'm reading about in this thread? Eh, might make for a fun and weird Elseworld.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Is he related to John Landis?
    Nobody else has answered this question, so I will. Yes, he's related to John Landis. He's his son.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Nobody else has answered this question, so I will. Yes, he's related to John Landis. He's his son.
    Didn't HE direct that segment where Vic Morrow and those kids were killed?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Didn't HE direct that segment where Vic Morrow and those kids were killed?
    Yeah, same dude.