Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DC Comics Company Plans?

Could someone explain to me what exactly DC Comics long term plans are?

They were about Legacy for about 4 months (maybe)...but then pivoted to Legacy AND New Characters in traditional roles (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman...)...which is fine since you could use the Legacy characters to raise the New characters, but it doesn't seem like DC has even considered that (only some of their Writers will think of that).

I know 2020 was BAD, but it honestly Looks and Feels like DC Comics is Several Years from being even close to where it was even just 2 or 3 years ago...and I am just talking about Social and Entertainment Relevance.

Marvel Comics was slowed by 2020, but not NEARLY as badly as DC. Hickman's X-Men is Incredible and has revived that entire franchise, and they have Top Tier Young Talent that all appear to enjoy working together (I am 100% basing that on the End Result and the length of time some of the Writers have been working on the same line or Writer and Artist Runs). Just listing Writers: Ta-Nehisi Coates, Donny Cates, Garry Dugan, Al Ewing, Kelley Thompson, Scotty Young, Tini Howard, Nick Spencer, Chip Zdarsky, Simon Spurrier, Kieron Gillion...those are 10 "A" Talent Writers right there...and those are off the top of my head (except for the spelling for some names).

THIS is a rather HUGE problem for DC...and just shines a Spotlight on the Decade (Plus?) of Mismanagement at the Company imo.

It seriously feels like we are seeing the Death of DC Comics...since it will Never be Sold by AT&T due to the number of Stories and Characters is supplies Warner Bros.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

BANNED

More Batman is the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Plans?!? We don't need no stinkin' plans!

Spectacular Member

Hickman's X-Men is Incredible and has revived that entire franchise
    Really? cause all i hear from retailers on Twitter is that his run is impenetrable and is quickly losing fan interest.

While it's true that DC is being handled badly (as usual), none of the Marvel writers listed in the OP are of any interest to me, and I don't know that I would classify any except Hickman as "A-list" in terms of widespread fan support.

I think both companies have fallen victim to the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome where the media plans that the parent companies have are dictating stories and character direction in many cases.

Just the idea that Superman will not be starring in a comic called "Superman" shows just how far agenda-pushing has overridden everything else.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

They were about Legacy for about 4 months (maybe)...but then pivoted to Legacy AND New Characters in traditional roles (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman...)...which is fine since you could use the Legacy characters to raise the New characters, but it doesn't seem like DC has even considered that (only some of their Writers will think of that).

I know 2020 was BAD, but it honestly Looks and Feels like DC Comics is Several Years from being even close to where it was even just 2 or 3 years ago...and I am just talking about Social and Entertainment Relevance.

Marvel Comics was slowed by 2020, but not NEARLY as badly as DC. Hickman's X-Men is Incredible and has revived that entire franchise, and they have Top Tier Young Talent that all appear to enjoy working together (I am 100% basing that on the End Result and the length of time some of the Writers have been working on the same line or Writer and Artist Runs). Just listing Writers: Ta-Nehisi Coates, Donny Cates, Garry Dugan, Al Ewing, Kelley Thompson, Scotty Young, Tini Howard, Nick Spencer, Chip Zdarsky, Simon Spurrier, Kieron Gillion...those are 10 "A" Talent Writers right there...and those are off the top of my head (except for the spelling for some names).

THIS is a rather HUGE problem for DC...and just shines a Spotlight on the Decade (Plus?) of Mismanagement at the Company imo.

It seriously feels like we are seeing the Death of DC Comics...since it will Never be Sold by AT&T due to the number of Stories and Characters is supplies Warner Bros.
    If you are talking about comics specifically..ininite frontier is the plan. I honestly don't get the point of this thead at all. It's very clear where the comics line is at currently. Just because you may not like it, doesn't mean it's not a plan.

The Kids, YA, and Black Label plans have been pretty great in my opinion.

Their mainline floppy direct market monthlies? Yeah, I don't feel like they have plans outside of "big yearly crossover events" and "let's fling crap at the walls and see what sticks."

But their out of continuity stuff looks interesting.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

THEY'RE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!1111111oneoneone
    Assassinate Putin!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

HAHAHAHA!! This!
    It was pretty much throw **** at the wall and see what sticks and if all else fails, MORE BATMAN!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

The comic line sure looks like it's shrinking compared to years past. The monthly output is much less but Batman dominates even more given how low the output is. It's sad to see DC fall like this. Gone forever will be days when there used to be a lot of experimenting with less popular franchises. The universe has shrunk but at least there are decades of back issues.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Their mainline floppy direct market monthlies? Yeah, I don't feel like they have plans outside of "big yearly crossover events" and "let's fling crap at the walls and see what sticks."
    What exactly do you mean by this? They just launched a new comics initative called infinite frontier and so far most of the books have been well recieved. Most of the books are tightly connected and isn't just random stories.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What exactly do you mean by this? They just launched a new comics initative called infinite frontier and so far most of the books have been well recieved. Most of the books are tightly connected and isn't just random stories.
    I mean, the fact that they went from Future State to Infinite Frontier is kind of the point - everything is an event or initiative. You'd think at some point they'd just do comics without it being some sort of big headlining initiative event. Just slow down and tell good comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, the fact that they went from Future State to Infinite Frontier is kind of the point - everything is an event or initiative. You'd think at some point they'd just do comics without it being some sort of big headlining initiative event. Just slow down and tell good comics.
    Stating the obvious but FS was all about setting up IF.

I loved FS. Yes, it was yet another event but it served a genuine purpose and didn't drag on for months / years and it told some great stories.

Personally, I don't have any problem with where DC is at right now.

So they are publishing fewer titles. Bravo. Quality over quantity every time. I really don't see the point of putting out loads of titles that nobody is reading.

DC has managed something that Marvel hasn't for YEARS e.g. getting me interested and purchasing new comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    The comic line sure looks like it's shrinking compared to years past. The monthly output is much less but Batman dominates even more given how low the output is. It's sad to see DC fall like this. Gone forever will be days when there used to be a lot of experimenting with less popular franchises. The universe has shrunk but at least there are decades of back issues.
    I skimmed June's solicits and counted over 50 issues. "DC is going to publish less comics" was a thing only for couple of months after Future State.