Default Does anyone here watch horse racing?

2021 Kentucky Derby started on May 1, 2021, in Louisville, Kentucky. It was yesterday. Yet nobody has discussed about it.

The race was broadcast by NBC, with coverage by NBCSN of undercard races beginning at 12:30 pm EDT

Did anyone here watch The 2021 Kentucky Derby?

A horse called Medina Spirit won the race.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Kentucky_Derby

Boisterously Confused

I used to love it. The first time I saw a horse gruesomely break his leg, requiring putting him down, it put me off of it for good.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I used to love it. The first time I saw a horse gruesomely break his leg, requiring putting him down, it put me off of it for good.
    Like a lot of little girls, I liked horses during my childhood. I read everything on the subject. The thoroughbred has been created for race and, alas, it led to a lot of problems in addition with the conditions of the races themselves:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorou...#Health_issues
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

I live somewhat near Santa Anita, and the horrors there over the last few years have shown me what horse racing is, akin to greyhound racing and cock fighting, a "sport" that is needlessly cruel. I can live without it. So can the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I live somewhat near Santa Anita, and the horrors there over the last few years have shown me what horse racing is, akin to greyhound racing and cock fighting, a "sport" that is needlessly cruel. I can live without it. So can the horses.
    Let's not forget bullfighting, too. Why anyone wants to see men fight and kill bulls who in turn will gore them on their horns, I will never understand.

Speaking of which, Zelena, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you from Spain?

Fantastic Member

It's ridiculous cruelty to animals. Horses should not be ridden in the first place.

Sprinters or runners do break their ankles/heels and get injured while running on the track and competing against each other. But it was their choice.

Humans have a choice. Animals don't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Speaking of which, Zelena, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you from Spain?
    No, France. Why do you say that?

Let's not forget bullfighting, too. Why anyone wants to see men fight and kill bulls who in turn will gore them on their horns, I will never understand.
    Now, I’m living in the South-West. There’s a tradition of corrida (bullfighting), here. I’m feeling quite the stranger, here.
    Last edited by Zelena; 05-04-2021 at 01:51 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    No, France. Why do you say that?
    Because you posted Spanish language comics in some thread a while ago

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes I recall that...and I don't think they every figured out why at the one track that there were so many bad breakdowns of the horses during races. The only thing I can think of is that there was something wrong with the way they were taking care of the track. There was also the suspicions of trainers using performance enhancing drugs or others that would mask the pain the horses felt so that they would run full tilt on an injured leg. At the same time period they were not having this high rate of horses breaking down on other tracks. Europe doesn't have nearly as high a rate of injuries as the U.S. but then they are almost exclusively run on turf courses.

I used to go to the races a lot went I was younger and actually saw Secretariat race at Arlington racetrack in Illinois. It was pretty much an exhibition race since only a few owners entered their horses and he won very easily. I also enjoyed going to the stud farms in Kentucky with my sister. We "visited" Secretariat when he was retired to Claiborne Farm. He was not like some of the studs who would become bad tempered. It seemed like he knew the fans touring the farm were taking his pictures and he would look very alert. The farms were very open back then with tourists. I haven't gone to Kentucky in a long time and my sister says they are not as open to tours these days, probably for security reasons. Years ago you could just drive into the farm and they usually had an office building where you would just sort of check with the staff and ask if you could walk to the paddocks where they kept the stallions and the mares.

I used to go to Belmont Park with my father all the time and we would sometimes go to the paddock area before the races. It looked to me that they treated the horses very well. I couldn't bring myself to watch the Kentucky Derby this year, though. My father recently passed away, so this was the first Derby where I wouldn't be able to talk with him about it afterward. Horse racing holds a lot of good memories for me.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Because you posted Spanish language comics in some thread a while ago
    I watched a program on El Santo a long time ago… how he went from wrestler to symbol of justice and integrity in his country.