Default The Guardian and The Newsboy Legion Appreciation (2021)

First appearance: Star Spangled Comics #7 (April 1942)

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IX (November 1985)

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XVI (June 1986)

Boisterously Confused

I'd really like to see this one come back. Reposition "The Newsboys" as the "News Kids", and turn them from paper vendors into orphans using streaming media to expose crime and corruption in Suicide Slum.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'd really like to see this one come back. Reposition "The Newsboys" as the "News Kids", and turn them from paper vendors into orphans using streaming media to expose crime and corruption in Suicide Slum.
    But if you make them orphans, where do they live? Do they have foster/adoptive families, or do they live in a home/orphanage?
    How do they get all the equipment they would need to start their own streaming media site?
    Would "orphans" have the right equipment? Who would pay for their monthly equipment/service fees?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But if you make them orphans, where do they live? Do they have foster/adoptive families, or do they live in a home/orphanage?
    How do they get all the equipment they would need to start their own streaming media site?
    Would "orphans" have the right equipment? Who would pay for their monthly equipment/service fees?
    Initially, banding together for mutual protection, and supporting themselves by theft. Then comes The Guardian, and they get both a shared foster home, and a new direction. Not that hard to plot out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Initially, banding together for mutual protection, and supporting themselves by theft. Then comes The Guardian, and they get both a shared foster home, and a new direction. Not that hard to plot out.
    I was actually focusing more on the equipment-side of things, since all those devices and the online access to have a streaming media site would start to add up for the four (or more) kids, especially depending on who is sponsoring all of them.

It's not the old days, like when a buddy of mine got additional premium cable services for his parents for free by climbing up a telephone pole, opening the outside cable box and removing the filters that blocked access to things like HBO and stuff that his parents hadn't signed up for.

Boisterously Confused

I was actually focusing more on the equipment-side of things, since all those devices and the online access to have a streaming media site would start to add up for the four (or more) kids, especially depending on who is sponsoring all of them.

It's not the old days, like when a buddy of mine got additional premium cable services for his parents for free by climbing up a telephone pole, opening the outside cable box and removing the filters that blocked access to things like HBO and stuff that his parents hadn't signed up for.
    Hence, the initial thieving, then maybe crowdsourced funding? Yeah, I know, that's harder than I make it sound, but comics let Batman build an entire next-gen technology cave fortress - capable of launching and recovering jets, no less - under his house without anybody noticing. Pretty sure we could get a readership to sit still for the Legion figuring out a way to get resourced.

from All-Star Squadron Annual #1 (1982)

And from the first episode in Star Spangled Comics #7 (April 1942)

From Golden Age Wildcat (Ted Grant) Appreciation 2021 thread and Golden Age "The Mighty Atom" (Al Pratt) Appreciation Thread (2021),
    From the Golden Age Wildcat (Ted Grant) Appreciation 2021 thread:
    All-Star Squadron Annual #1 (1982) featured a story that tied together the early days of Ted Grant, Al Pratt (The Atom), and The Guardian (Jim Harper).
    Here's Wildcat's retelling of his origin:
    Here's The Atom's portion:
    And here's The Guardian's: