Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    The thread is about superstrength. I love Jean dearly but powerful as she is, she doesn’t have superstrength.
    As Phoenix, Jean was depicted as having super strength. She was usually just blasting away instead, but she was Thor-levels or above in total badassery.

That's the old "If I add telekinesis to my punch is it super strength or not?" debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I think Lorna only temporarily cancelled gravity around Krakoa and the resulting upheaval pushed it into space.
    That is correct, with a big assist from Storm, and Cyclops and Havok. But here’s why that never made much sense.

Electromagnetism is one force.

Gravity is a different force.

You can overcome gravity with electromagnetism in some applications, but you can’t “cancel” out gravity with it. That’s non-sensical.

Then again, it is comics we are speaking of, not physics research. So, they can do whatever they want in Marvel comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    That is correct, with a big assist from Storm, and Cyclops and Havok. But here’s why that never made much sense.

Electromagnetism is one force.

Gravity is a different force.

You can overcome gravity with electromagnetism in some applications, but you can’t “cancel” out gravity with it. That’s non-sensical.

Then again, it is comics we are speaking of, not physics research. So, they can do whatever they want in Marvel comics.
    Many old comics allowed Lorna, Storm, and Magneto to do just about anything because of "magnetism" or "manipulation of electricity."

Luckily (in my opinion), writers today are much more reasonable with the limits of their powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Captain Britain powers are also (conveniently) like Gladiator, they depend on self-confidence.

Betsy doesn't seem to have Brian's overflowing ego.
    I wouldn't call it ego, it's just confidence. Something he's historically struggled with. Moving onto Besty, she's been the opposite. Confidence for days, look how she battled to be accepted as Captain Britain in the first place. Was that ego or confidence?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    The thread is about superstrength. I love Jean dearly but powerful as she is, she doesn’t have superstrength.
    No the thread is about being a brick that has two components super strength and damage resistance. Now typically because of Superman who is the prototypical brick people don't call certain characters bricks but they are several TK users in the genre that operate like a "brick" the main one being a version Kon El superboy. Could Jean lift 100 tons with her mind? Yes. Could Jean resist a ton of damage with TK shields? Yes. That is a brick.

If we consider TKs as bricks, then Exodus would probably be the winner. He has been able to take on Eternals in 1vs1 and entire X-men and Avengers teams on his own.

The problem is that we are facing another, in effect, case of "Confidence boosts his powers" so it varies a lot from one appearance to another.

The interesting thing is that his powers also increase when other people trust him. And lately he seems to be quite popular with the children of Krakoa...

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    If we consider TKs as bricks, then Exodus would probably be the winner. He has been able to take on Eternals in 1vs1 and entire X-men and Avengers teams on his own.

The problem is that we are facing another, in effect, case of "Confidence boosts his powers" so it varies a lot from one appearance to another.

The interesting thing is that his powers also increase when other people trust him. And lately he seems to be quite popular with the children of Krakoa...
    They can operate as Bricks, So you can't dismiss them from the topic but none of the TK people on the X-men fight like Bricks except for Betsy when she got TK. Which is a shame because it would be a great way to separate people with the same powers. That is just my opinion tho

My vote is still with Krakoa himself. Herself? Itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No the thread is about being a brick that has two components super strength and damage resistance. Now typically because of Superman who is the prototypical brick people don't call certain characters bricks but they are several TK users in the genre that operate like a "brick" the main one being a version Kon El superboy. Could Jean lift 100 tons with her mind? Yes. Could Jean resist a ton of damage with TK shields? Yes. That is a brick.
    I am just respecting what was written in the original post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Note: While telekinetics can simulate strength, I'm not counting them in this contest. Both Monet and Captain Britain should have access to super-strength beyond their inherent TK.

I've always considered a "brick" as someone who isn't just super strong and super durable, but that those are their primary and almost trademark powers. So if someone is super strong and durable but they're better at telekinesis or energy projection, they're automatically counted out. The key difference between, say, Gladiator and Silver Surfer -- Surfer is just as strong and tough (if not moreso) as Gladiator, but he can do so much more with his power cosmic like matter manipulation, so he's not really a brick.

I loved Exodus vs. War Machine and Sersi, and both times he clearly showed off his brick-like physical powers, but his psionic powers are way more powerful and used much more often, so I don't consider him as a brick, either. Rogue, on the other hand, even if she were super strong but physically weaker than Exodus (for the sake of this example), I'd still consider her more of a brick than him.

I think it might be Krakoa.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I think it might be Krakoa.
    And while they are certainly not 'Krakoa's top brick,' Arakko seems to be at least their equal...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I've always considered a "brick" as someone who isn't just super strong and super durable, but that those are their primary and almost trademark powers. So if someone is super strong and durable but they're better at telekinesis or energy projection, they're automatically counted out. The key difference between, say, Gladiator and Silver Surfer -- Surfer is just as strong and tough (if not moreso) as Gladiator, but he can do so much more with his power cosmic like matter manipulation, so he's not really a brick.
    "Brick" is kind of team roll/character classificiaton. Surfer, in this parlance, would be "a blaster", but could fill the roll of "team brick" because as you say, he's just as strong/tough as anyone.
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And while they are certainly not 'Krakoa's top brick,' Arakko seems to be at least their equal...
    In fact, Arakko has a lot more mutants to feed on so it's probably stronger.