Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel Studios Phase 4 special look

I am surprised no one has made a thread about the teaser? It looks far better than Shang Chi and all the phase 3 MCU movies. I was going to make a thread about Chloe Zhao last week , the director of the film, who recently won two Oscars since Kevin Feige said in an interview that they clashed at the beginning because she refused to go all CGI and wanted real locations.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/k...ls-1234962496/

However I chose not to do a thread on that because it would have gotten quickly misinterpreted and derailed to another marvel vs DC war, when it was more about film commentary about Zhao and her views on CGI. However I think both Fiege and Zhao have some compromise from the teaser in some areas.

Some scenes still looks very MCU phase 3 like the Angelina Jolie scenes and other scenes looks very Iron Man MCU phase 1, which I am thinking is Zhao fighting for more creative reigns with some small battle victory. I do hope the phase 1 vibe wins in the end with this film because Phase 1 MCU did not go full CGI on everything either, among the many reasons it still has their best film making.

Outside of the few snap shot poses of characters and some action toned vibes that is still very MCU familiar styled, the teaser is better than Shang Chi trailer.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-03-2021 at 04:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I am surprised no one has made a thread about the teaser? It looks far better than Shang Chi and all the phase 3 MCU movies. I was going to make a thread about Chloe Zhao last week , the director of the film, who recently won two Oscars since Kevin Feige said in an interview that they clashed at the beginning because she refused to go all CGI and wanted real locations.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/k...ls-1234962496/

However I chose not to do a thread on that because it would have gotten quickly misinterpreted and derailed to another marvel vs DC war, when it was more about film commentary about Zhao and her views on CGI. However I think both Fiege and Zhao have some compromise from the teaser in some areas.

Some scenes still looks very MCU phase 3 like the Angelina Jolie scenes and other scenes looks very Iron Man MCU phase 1, which I am thinking is Zhao fighting for more creative reigns with some small battle victory. I do hope the phase 1 vibe wins in the end with this film because Phase 1 MCU did not go full CGI on everything either, among the many reasons it still has their best film making.

Outside of the few snap shot poses of characters and some action toned vibes that is still very MCU familiar styled, the teaser is better than Shang Chi trailer.
    Calling it an Eternals teaser is a bit generous. It's a memorial to Marvel, and a peek at Phase IV.

There isn't enough Eternals material to come to a conclusion yet. What I can see of Phase IV, I don't see anything I'm really looking forward to. Of the three sequels planned, the two I am actively planning not to experience, based on title, cast announcements, and assumptions of the plot, are the two I loved most originally - Spiderman and Doctor Strange.

Yeah. I don't see how anyone can determine Eternals looks better than anything else considering we only saw about 20 seconds of it, if that.

The only thing I can tell from the small clip is that the leaked plot might be real. Without posting spoilers someone who supposedly saw a test screening a long time ago posted on Reddit(The mods supposedly confirmed it was legit but they don't say how they did that) and then reddit was made to remove the post after a day.. Anyway part of the leak mentioned Ajax living on a ranch. So that clip of Salma Hayek makes me think the whole leak might be legit(Unless that was public knowledge already similar to Kumail playing a bollywood star)
    If so some people might be mad with what they do with some of these characters. I don't have a attachment to any of them so Chloe Zhou can go crazy for all I care. As long as it's good. But that leak claimed they were doing something I never would have saw coming.

Also the natural lighting does give off a different look then some other MCU films. But Chloe Zhou has ssid nothing but great things about Marvel and Feige. They have bent over backward to be accommodating to her apparently. Also all of this is before she had that Oscar buzz. Feige must have saw the potential and been ecstatic when she won the Oscar. Now Eternals is her first film coming out post Oscar, they gonna milk that.

If The film is good "only because Marvel hired Oscar award winning director who wouldn't comprise their vision"

If the film is average "The MCU typical interference and style and messed up Oscar award winning director film and comprise their vision"

If the film is bad and finally a MCU does poorly at the box office " See I told MCU films are bad and the public has finally turned on them and recognize that MCU aren't that good"

Anyways I don't see how anyone can make an assessment of a direction film on maybe 10 seconds of teasing but that is just me apparently. I don't know why this thread is a weird assessment of the MCU just kidding I know why because the director won a Oscar so now the excuse of the MCU can never hire people with talent because they want to make canned pre packed films can't be used a new excuse is being formed but we know how this goes anyways

(Zhao)calling Feige “a great boss,” and saying that they gave her creative freedom.
    It’s just been such an incredible experience working with the team at Marvel,” Zhao said. “I want to be careful saying ‘my vision,’ even though I do want people to know they did support what I wanted to do. I want people to know that. But I also want to make sure they know that I got the support of this incredibly talented team, some of the most talented artists in the world.

“And it really is a village to make this film, but they did let me lead.
    Marvel hired a little indie director and gave them creative control BUT marvel would never give bigger name control. Today is 5-4-2021 let us put in grave those silly opinions about how marvel restricts directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    . Also all of this is before she had that Oscar buzz. Feige must have saw the potential and been ecstatic when she won the Oscar. Now Eternals is her first film coming out post Oscar, they gonna milk that.
    Eternals by visionary Oscar Director Chloé Zhao.. Yeah Marvel is going to milk the crap out of that

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Eternals by visionary Oscar Director Chloé Zhao.. Yeah Marvel is going to milk the crap out of that
    Not seeing it. Of course her name will come in handy in the campaign for a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars that they surely will go for, but I doubt they'll emphasize the director's name in the regular marketing. They rely on the MCU brand selling the movies and never put RDJ's name on any trailer even though he is a bigger name to audiences than Zhao could ever hope to be. Would also be a little disrespectful to the likes of Coogler, Gunn, or Waititi, who is also an Oscar winner by the way.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Not seeing it. Of course her name will come in handy in the campaign for a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars that they surely will go for, but I doubt they'll emphasize the director's name in the regular marketing. They rely on the MCU brand selling the movies and never put RDJ's name on any trailer even though he is a bigger name to audiences than Zhao could ever hope to be. Would also be a little disrespectful to the likes of Coogler, Gunn, or Waititi, who is also an Oscar winner by the way.
    I really didn't mean on marquee meant more about talking the film in the general marketing and Waititi got his 2020 so I expect to see him get hyped up in his next film as well too. Eternals is small enough property that I expect the directors' oscar and two big stars like Jolie and Hayek get pushed in marketing more than regular mcu property.

-Dang I forgot Kit Harrington, Mille Bobby Brown are in this too. Gemma chan, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani should be recognizable to general public as well
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-04-2021 at 04:38 AM. Reason: it got some stars in it

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    When Coogler and Gunn win Oscars, maybe they'll get mentioned too. Waititi has a screenwriting Oscar and has had a film nominated, so maybe we'll see it with Thor: Love and Thunder, but Thor is the sell at this point. Same with RDJ. There's no need to emphasize him because everyone already knows he's Iron Man. Point is that this is a really obscure property that likely won't have the "fun" trailer which got people to see Guardians. Plus if they want to sell this as a slightly elevated Marvel film, using Zhao's pedigree can only help.

I'm still mostly just expecting a normal feeling MCU film from the Eternals, but I'm more interested in it than the usual MCU film - this director is also going to direct a Dracula movie, and we haven't had a great Dracula in decades.

BANNED

Looks like the mods changed the title of the thread. I did not really want to bother about the other films but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    The only thing I can tell from the small clip is that the leaked plot might be real. Without posting spoilers someone who supposedly saw a test screening a long time ago posted on Reddit(The mods supposedly confirmed it was legit but they don't say how they did that) and then reddit was made to remove the post after a day.. Anyway part of the leak mentioned Ajax living on a ranch. So that clip of Salma Hayek makes me think the whole leak might be legit(Unless that was public knowledge already similar to Kumail playing a bollywood star)
    If so some people might be mad with what they do with some of these characters. I don't have a attachment to any of them so Chloe Zhou can go crazy for all I care. As long as it's good. But that leak claimed they were doing something I never would have saw coming.

Also the natural lighting does give off a different look then some other MCU films. But Chloe Zhou has ssid nothing but great things about Marvel and Feige. They have bent over backward to be accommodating to her apparently. Also all of this is before she had that Oscar buzz. Feige must have saw the potential and been ecstatic when she won the Oscar. Now Eternals is her first film coming out post Oscar, they gonna milk that.
    The plot looks standard MCU, what looks to be lifting the film so far is the less CGI aspect, which is why I compared it to phase 1 because that was the time MCU was not using pure CGI with everything. The film could be very back to basis with Iron Man 1, which is what the movie reminds me of.

The lighting does looks different in some parts. I can already tell Zhao's part of film style and Fiege's manufactured MCU film style parts from the clips. reason I said both must be compromising each other on the direction of the film. they should have let her go Normaland with the story style that still looks standard, but still this looks leaps above Black Widow, Shang Chi and what I am getting so far. Black Panther: Wakanda forever , although there are no clips for that, I am more convinced now that MCU should have gotten a new actor for Black Panther while paying a classic tribute to Boseman.

It is way too soon, to start doing a Wakanda Greatest Hits, after only one movie. which from the title seems to be what is going to be the case, but I could be wrong, although I never usually am in many cases.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-04-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Niffleheim

After seeing glimpses of Eternals it went from highly anticipated in my list to looking bland and boring just from visuals alone. I saw ppl praising the cinematography but that talk didn't convince me lol. Anyway the only interesting thing was seeing Angelina wielding her sword. Maybe I will change my mind when I see the movie but I have a niggling suspicion that I will not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    After seeing glimpses of Eternals it went from highly anticipated in my list to looking bland and boring just from visuals alone. I saw ppl praising the cinematography but that talk didn't convince me lol. Anyway the only interesting thing was seeing Angelina wielding her sword. Maybe I will change my mind when I see the movie but I have a niggling suspicion that I will not like it.
    How can you praise the cinematography on ~10 seconds of visuals? There was no time to really show off anything.

Eternals was one of my favorites as a kid, so I am BEYOND hyped for this movie (like I was Dr. Strange) ... so it won't have to do much to get me excited.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    As a person who has an eye for cinematography, I think some are right to praise it. some parts of the film looks better than what we have seen with marvel. infact the movie has almost the exact same appearance as X-Men 3, a film though a half bag still had some good bits and good parts of it was the cinematography. something I said was a positive in my X3 thread. it is good to have a marvel film again from the MCU where everything does not look like a bland animation staring real life people.

Ironically the part with Angeline wielding the sword is the part I felt just looks like your typical MCU stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I really didn't mean on marquee meant more about talking the film in the general marketing and Waititi got his 2020 so I expect to see him get hyped up in his next film as well too. Eternals is small enough property that I expect the directors' oscar and two big stars like Jolie and Hayek get pushed in marketing more than regular mcu property.

-Dang I forgot Kit Harrington, Mille Bobby Brown are in this too. Gemma chan, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani should be recognizable to general public as well
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    When Coogler and Gunn win Oscars, maybe they'll get mentioned too. Waititi has a screenwriting Oscar and has had a film nominated, so maybe we'll see it with Thor: Love and Thunder, but Thor is the sell at this point. Same with RDJ. There's no need to emphasize him because everyone already knows he's Iron Man. Point is that this is a really obscure property that likely won't have the "fun" trailer which got people to see Guardians. Plus if they want to sell this as a slightly elevated Marvel film, using Zhao's pedigree can only help.
    Those are good points you make but I'd still be surprised if they went that route. Eternals isn't the first supposed tough sell for Marvel and especially after Endgame they can basically come out with anything and it would lure people into the theaters automatically just with the MCU brand.

Won't be long until the first trailer so we'll see it soon.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Saw the actual trailer on social media. Feeling generally positive, even if quite a few of the properties are stuff I don't really care about in and of themselves. (Was that an F4 thing at the very end?)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)