Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Maybe people just really like Paddington 2. It's very good, even though Martin Scorcese didn't make it and it's not just about big name white actors grimacing while doing important white man crimes.
    The Irishman was surprisingly funny though. I thought it was pretty good overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Paddington 2 was wonderful. Being best reviewed is just that. It doesn't mean best or greatest film. It means that critics found no fault with.

I all looking forward to all the Phase 4 movies. I may not see them all in the theater, but I do want to see all of them.
    Anything you're looking forward to the most?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Maybe people just really like Paddington 2. It's very good, even though Martin Scorcese didn't make it and it's not just about big name white actors grimacing while doing important white man crimes.
    I have seen it and I loved it but best reviewed within a genre doesn't mean best movie of alltimes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I have seen it and I loved it but best reviewed within a genre doesn't mean best movie of alltimes.
    Is there anyone seriously making that claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I have not seen Nomaland but I have read the plot and seen few documentaries of the film, so I get the idea. As for Zhao, unfortunately she is winning Oscars in an era many feel, it is all about diversity than artistry and it is a shame because she could be indeed very talented and deserving of the awards in spite of her been a woman and a person of color.

If this movie does end up as a bad film, I will not put the blame on her though. that will just make no sense but I am sure the right wingers and '''Anti-Woke'' folks will put the blame on her and not Feige , because ever since she won those oscars, she had been under attack by some people who just don't want any diversity at all.
    So you haven't even seen Nomadland but you still know that if Eternals turns out good it'll be solely due to Zhao and when it turns out bad it'll be all on Feige.

Not to mention that talking about a movie's quality despite never having seen it in the first place disqualifies anyone as a serious debater on films.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-06-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I'm really looking forward to Moon Knight. It's about time that the Fist of Khonshu got the attention he deserves!
    Last edited by Donkey Hotay; 05-07-2021 at 04:43 AM.

I am sure they killed it by MCU own standard. But I am talking about the general standard world of Television like 24, The Wire, Buffy, Legion.

This disney plus show from Marvel are the answer to the CW DC shows and those CW shows also have high ratings on RT.

The obvious problem with attempting to frame it that way...

If the whole patch someone is coming at it from is "Objective..."/"Academic..."?

It doesn't take much of a look to realize that nothing about The Wire or Legion actually falls into anything like "General Standard World Of Television..."

HBO wasn't even set on trying to add The Wire to it's lineup. That fact is fairly common knowledge.

Never mind that nothing about Legion was "General..."/"Standard..." in terms of the actual world of television.

The actual "Standard..." world of television is actually objectively more like...

- "Let's See If We Can Field Yet Another 'NCIS' Show..."
    - "Let's See If We Can Squeeze Anymore Out Of Mom..."
    - "Let's See If We Can Fire The Guy Playing Riggs, And Keep Lethal Weapon Afloat..."

It is open to all the movie genres and when I read post like this, it is making the comic genre look worse and confirming what ignorant people like Scorsese thinks about the comic genre because I have seen him on tv critiquing other films objectively and doing a fair job at it.
    Scorsese isn’t ignorant. He’s a great artist in a popular medium with an opinion. That you have seen him do a fair job critiquing movies shows you he’s not ignorant.

The truth is out of all the superhero movies ever made, I think only one (Reeve’s Superman) could compare favorably to the vast majority of Martin’s work. And I think Scorsese hasn’t made a really good or interesting movie since Aviator or maybe Gangs of New York.

There is something inherently juvenile about the pre-adolescent psychosexual drama and primitive power fantasies of superhero fiction. Period.

It’s undeniably lacking nuance. I love comics and superhero movies, but I can’t deny that that there’s no Big Two, superhero comic out there as great as the best novels.

People like Stan Lee knew it, too. That’s why he always really disparaged and tried to escape what he did for a living.

Robert Downey Jr. was clearly offended by Scorsese’s comments, but you know what? Tens or hundreds of millions doesn’t change the fact that RDJ’s Chaplin is far better than any of his Iron Man performances, head and shoulders above his Iron Man.

Super hero movies are purely a marketing driven genre designed for maximum profits in the selling of tchotchkes and children’s toys.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    The MCU has gotten tired, Phase 4 doesn’t look too impressive, it’s time to move on.
    Doctor Strange might be horror, that could be interesting.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Doctor Strange might be horror, that could be interesting.
    I don't get this whole "Dr. Strange horror business." I want weird, not scary

weird, this "wakanda forever" sounds to this polish jew awkwardly like "sieg
    heil". and they made that the taglline of black panther 2?

well wakanda über alles to be percise

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't get this whole "Dr. Strange horror business." I want weird, not scary
    Nightmare was the rumored villian at one point and horror elements make sense with that character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Paddington 2 was wonderful. Being best reviewed is just that. It doesn't mean best or greatest film. It means that critics found no fault with.

I all looking forward to all the Phase 4 movies. I may not see them all in the theater, but I do want to see all of them.
    Well, this means everyone now must accept the ''fact'' it is better than Citizen Kane.

In all seriousness, if we were putting shows like Wandavison in phase 4 and using rotten tomatoes or saying there is still gas, It is just more of the same. I think the best anyone can do with the disney plus show is to treat it as an alternate reality because I still don't see it mattering. I am not even big on the captain America 4 movie news that will be a part of..... phase 4 or 5?, because that was announced to create more hype for falcon and winter solider. However it is just very far fetched to think there would be a proper captain America 4 film with no steve rogers. we did not even get a proper captain America 3 film. something Feige once said, would still happen post civil war but never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Scorsese isn’t ignorant. He’s a great artist in a popular medium with an opinion. That you have seen him do a fair job critiquing movies shows you he’s not ignorant.

Super hero movies are purely a marketing driven genre designed for maximum profits in the selling of tchotchkes and children’s toys.
    As great as an artist he is, Scorsese does not know much about other film genres.

Another topic for different day, bit the idea that super hero movies are all about toys is a big fat lie as proven by many other comic films from both DC/Marvel though not MCU, I do think MCU movies for so long has focused too much on this narrative that it is all about toys that does not seem to be working artistically anymore or just never worked at all once the cloud around their connection movies charm wore off, but maybe few of their phase 4 movies can grow and move away from that. they would have too if they want their xmen and blade films to succeed.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-08-2021 at 02:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Nightmare was the rumored villian at one point and horror elements make sense with that character.
    I know he's "scary" in some ways, but "horror" to me sounds like "genre tropes", which isn't some thing I'm too keen on

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    weird, this "wakanda forever" sounds to this polish jew awkwardly like "sieg
    heil". and they made that the taglline of black panther 2?

well wakanda über alles to be percise

Oh yes, I feel 100% that's what they are going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Anything you're looking forward to the most?
    Maybe Dr. Strange. But most are interesting. You don't really know until they come out. I've enjoyed almost all the Marvel movies. Some less than I thought I would, some more than I thought I would. Right now I can only base it on the past movies, which isn't always a good indication. I mean judging Ragnarok on Dark World would be a mistake.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!