Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suicide Squad #3 Discussion and Spoilers (Crossover part 1)

Look alive as you can Suicide Squad, class is in session at Teen Titans Academy. Yeah I know the complaints, “three issues in and already a crossover”, well not much we can do about it but hope that it isn’t bad. Anyway before we begin I will say I’m pretty sure this takes place before the end of issue 2 of Teen Titans Academy mainly because this doesn’t actually take place inside the academy...yeah see as it turns out Waller knows a little better then to tick off the Titans.

So the plan is simple: they are going to kidnap Bolt, if you have no idea who that is check Academy, while she is outside of the Academy on a run. But it wouldn’t be Suicide Squad if things didn’t immediately go to hell. Yeah see they get some new members, who I have no idea who they are or if they are new, called Keymaster and Branch. Keymaster is a new teleporter to transport Bolt and Branch is to trip her with his branches....but instead Keymaster tries to escape through a portal which sets off his bomb and lights Branch on fire and from there things go awry because Bolt is faster then everyone and Superboy is not really trying. So peacemaker says plan change and it’s time to storm the academy which is when Red X shows up, beats Peacemaker, and offers to help them bust in.

That is that, not a terrible start to a crossover and it seemed like Waller actually had a good plan if not for human error from some of the new squad members. I do like that Waller is utilizing a wide range of characters new and obscure, with Superboy, Talon, Peacemaker and I guess Nocturna being the bigger names so far. As for Superboy there is also a plot line that something is wrong with Conner, that his history is more like a Wikipedia page reading then actually talking about his life which I’m sure we will get more into as the series goes on.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-04-2021 at 07:57 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Im liking it so far, the team has a lot of potential and i like the Writing style.
    A crossover so early is really a bit strange, especially since i gave Teen Titans Academy a try and didnt really like it.
    So crossing over with that comic i for me a bit annoying.
    Not that i hate it, im just not feeling it.

But who knows, maybe doing this crossover will win me over with Teen Titans Academy, could be.
    As for Suicide Squad, im liking it at the moment.

BANNED

I still don't see why they need to drag Conner into this.
    The other characters are good, but seriously,
    the Justice League is just gonna let Waller get away with kidnapping Conner?

I really want to see the reaction of the Titans next issue. Waller is trying to Kidnap a kid, one of their students, and they gonna let that slide?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I really want to see the reaction of the Titans next issue. Waller is trying to Kidnap a kid, one of their students, and they gonna let that slide?
    Well that’s depending on the Titans finding out, I mean supposedly Red X is going to sneak the Squad in and Bolt is trying to hide from Waller so unless the Squad gets too loud then they should be fine.

.....that said they managed to botch a pretty simple plan this issue so whose to say they won’t botch the Titans tower mission. I mean all they had to do was trip bolt and open a portal and what happens? One blows up, lights the other on fire, and then a failed street fight occurs. Maybe Waller should kidnap a super genius.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well Keymaster tried to jump ship and that led to things getting out of hand, but Conner told Bolt to run and said it in super speed so no one else could hear it. He could have easily grabbed her. So it wasn’t a complete screw up mission. It seems like Kon’s moral code is going to keep getting in the way of Waller’s plans.

Red X being able to KO Peacemaker that easily was pretty lame. Unless it’s actually Damian under that mask, that kid should not be able to take him out that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Well Keymaster tried to jump ship and that led to things getting out of hand, but Conner told Bolt to run and said it in super speed so no one else could hear it. He could have easily grabbed her. So it wasn’t a complete screw up mission. It seems like Kon’s moral code is going to keep getting in the way of Waller’s plans.

Red X being able to KO Peacemaker that easily was pretty lame. Unless it’s actually Damian under that mask, that kid should not be able to take him out that quickly.
    I mean Peacemaker is just a guy right? Like he’s just a normal man who wears a helmet and uses weapons? I’m legit asking, this is literally the first time I’m reading this version of Peacemaker.

As for Red X, well given the list of suspects (Brick and Matt Price) in Titans Academy he could actually have super strength to sock it to ol’ Peacemaker here. So super strong teen with Dick Grayson like skills sneaking up on a man in a helmet is going to get in a few good punches (especially if Conner let’s him).
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean Peacemaker is just a guy right? Like he’s just a normal man who wears a helmet and uses weapons? I’m legit asking, this is literally the first time I’m reading this version of Peacemaker.

As for Red X, well given the list of suspects (Brick and Matt Price) in Titans Academy he could actually have super strength to sock it to ol’ Peacemaker here. So super strong teen with Dick Grayson like skills sneaking up on a man in a helmet is going to get in a few good punches (especially if Conner let’s him).
    You know what, you’re right. I don’t know why I was thinking that Peacemaker was like super soldier levels. He’s just a regular guy.

Though if DC/WB is doing a tv show about the character they should probably make him a bit more formidable. Not getting taken out by some kid no one has ever heard of.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    You know what, you’re right. I don’t know why I was thinking that Peacemaker was like super soldier levels. He’s just a regular guy.

Though if DC/WB is doing a tv show about the character they should probably make him a bit more formidable. Not getting taken out by some kid no one has ever heard of.
    That's kinda his whole thing though. He's kinda not formidable. He's a headcase that maybe with some character development could become a lot more formidable. But everyone pretty much sees him as disposable. (Yet generally loyal)

He's just a regular guy trained in combat, he's not a super soldier like Captain America.

Issue three was good, the writing is decent.

My only complaint is that I really don't care about any of the members of the current Suicide Squad (Peacemaker aside) when traditionally there has always been at least some cool villains on the team that you don't want to die.... I know this is currently bothering some ole school Suicide Squad fans.

Thus if you start a title, you should honour the interest of the hardcore fans who normally buy it, as we've seen with the Legion, a titles success depends on it.

Astonishing Member

God, that "meta", "irreverent" character is insufferable.

Otherwise, decent first part of a crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    He's just a regular guy trained in combat, he's not a super soldier like Captain America.

Issue three was good, the writing is decent.

My only complaint is that I really don't care about any of the members of the current Suicide Squad (Peacemaker aside) when traditionally there has always been at least some cool villains on the team that you don't want to die.... I know this is currently bothering some ole school Suicide Squad fans.

Thus if you start a title, you should honour the interest of the hardcore fans who normally buy it, as we've seen with the Legion, a titles success depends on it.
    Honestly I actually kind of like the premise of the cast we have so far, basically it’s Waller just using a bunch of low tier or even new characters as canon fodder to build a team line-up that she actually wants. So far she’s got Superboy and Talon but there are more to gather.

Also if I’m honest I appreciate that outside of Conner this is a cast of characters who could all get wiped out, I like certain characters but there does reach a point where you question a never ending lineup of Harley, Boomerang, and Deadshot.
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

What's the current status of Captain Boomerang anyway? Thanks. I know Deadshot is dead and Harley is running around Gotham.

Honestly I actually kind of like the premise of the cast we have so far, basically it’s Waller just using a bunch of low tier or even new characters as canon fodder to build a team line-up that she actually wants. So far she’s got Superboy and Talon but there are more to gather.

Also if I’m honest I appreciate that outside of Conner this is a cast of characters who could all get wiped out, I like certain characters but there does reach a point where you question a never ending lineup of Harley, Boomerang, and Deadshot.
    I hear you on the Harley, Boomerang, Deadshot re-selection, but I'm speaking for the SS fans who are unhappy with the direction of the new series, because they can't relate to any of the characters on the squad.

I'm enjoying the series (Partially because I'm a big Peacemaker fan) but as a Legion of Super Heroes fan, I can tell you a comic series doesn't last long, if the old fans feel alienated from it.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    What's the current status of Captain Boomerang anyway? Thanks. I know Deadshot is dead and Harley is running around Gotham.
    The last Suicide Squad series by Tom Taylor had a crossover with Flash, in that Barry Allen rescued Boomerang and dropped him off in Australia. After that Boomerang went off to go do his own independent stuff, especially now that he no longer has a bomb in his neck.
    Words to live by.