Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Yup, I'd grant that. It helps that Kirkman wrote all of Invincible - being consistent is easier when it's all you. :-) There is significant PIS of course - speedsters require it - but generally the limits are well-presented. Eve is powerful and has some crazy esoterics, but she's chaff to Vitrulmites. She can play a game of keep away for a while, but they generally smash through her constructs when serious and isolated on her.
    Kirkman also builds in some excuses-- Mark mentions at certain points that he has to move slower than optimal to avoid killing people. Which makes sense from a basic physics perspective, really. Speed isn't just flat out ignored much, even if we don't see a lot of Flash style fight enders.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Also, I want to say that I think I'm enjoying the conversations generated by the show more than the show itself.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Also, I want to say that I think I'm enjoying the conversations generated by the show more than the show itself.
    Will you still be saying that when Conquest comes along

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Kirkman also builds in some excuses-- Mark mentions at certain points that he has to move slower than optimal to avoid killing people. Which makes sense from a basic physics perspective, really. Speed isn't just flat out ignored much, even if we don't see a lot of Flash style fight enders.
    Image still likes to pick and choose when to apply physics, but nowhere near as bad as Marvel and DC.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

In blunt honesty, I dread when Anissa appears in the adaptation and how they are going to handle the depiction of...you know.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    In blunt honesty, I dread when Anissa appears in the adaptation and how they are going to handle the depiction of...you know.
    I'm actually hoping they skip that altogether. Kirkman's explanation for including it never made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefist Norrin View Post
    I'm actually hoping they skip that altogether. Kirkman's explanation for including it never made sense to me.
    What was his explanation for including it?
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Nolan sorta kinda explains to Mark, after she's dead, that it was normal in their society to take what you want from who you can. She was stronger than Mark at that time, he was noble blood, bob's your uncle.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I'm intrigued by what they do to be honest.

Having your main male protagonist, in a superhero story spoilers:
    be a victim of sexual assault
    end of spoilers and having to navigate that situation spoilers:
    with his resulting fear of intimacy and his deep sense of shame about what happened
    end of spoilers was a pretty interesting and quite bold idea. It is something that happens in the real world and it is generally brushed under the rug a lot.

It's kind of a shame to me that spoilers:
    Mark's relationship with the resulting son
    end of spoilers was only really touched on in the final flashback. I would have liked to seen more in-depth work on how that relationship changed and evolved.

I think it can be done well and the TV show has certainly shown a level up in terms of emotional complexity and pacing compared the source material.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    What was his explanation for including it?
    Basically, he wanted Mark to have as many traumatic things as possible happening simultaneously and I guess wanted to prove a point that superheroes are just as susceptible to everyday human dangers.
    Last edited by Firefist Norrin; 05-07-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It'll be quite a few seasons before we reach the point of that incident me thinks.

With the general changes made and Kirkman's evolution as a writer we'll have to wait and see if the series does reach that point and what state the characters are in at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefist Norrin View Post
    Basically, he wanted Mark to have as many traumatic things as possible happening simultaneously and I guess wanted to prove a point that superheroes... spoilers:
    get raped too?
    end of spoilers
    Did you not notice that the rest of us were specifically avoiding mentioning what happened in plain text, so that people who have not read the comic won't have a pretty massive event spoiled for them? Use spoiler tags!
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    It'll be quite a few seasons before we reach the point of that incident me thinks.

With the general changes made and Kirkman's evolution as a writer we'll have to wait and see if the series does reach that point and what state the characters are in at that time.
    They already added a few "streaming series modern changes for 2018+ publication" that are background, but which work. Making Amber black is a sensitive touch that costs nothing and changes nothing. Making William gay (and also just generally nicer) from the outset, rather than after a few volumes - I thought that was well done and felt better then the about-face in the comic that kind of came out of nowhere. Obviously, 15+ years between publication and production pushed a lot of that, but I found those changes anywhere from "harmless but good" to "distinctly better."

I find Will to be more of an ******* due to how he handled Mark after Amber bitched at Mark for not telling her he was a superhero(disregarding how she magically already knew with zero explanation as to how she figured it out and by how unsurprised she was, making it a Sue moment), despite the fact they haven't even been together anywhere near as long as they were in the comic before Mark revealed his identity to her, and she was way out of line to act so entitled over her thinking she somehow had the right to know.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Honestly comic Amber thinking he was dealing drugs was a funny(and kinda clever) plot point, kinda miss it