Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Or maybe sent there because they "lost" to Hercules? Not necessarily punishment, but... a response anyways.
    Or maybe they decided to cut a deal with Ares thinking it would help them win against Heracles but end up destroying Amazonia or killing someone who didn't deserve it. Then the Goddesses show up are like 'what did I tell you?!" and send them on a time out to Themyscira. The other option is they end up accidentally unleashing the monsters in Dooms Doorway and the Goddesses banish them to Themyscira in order to guard Dooms Doorway.
    Last edited by John Venus; 08-03-2021 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Or maybe they decided to cut a deal with Ares thinking it would help them win against Ares but end up destroying Amazonia or killing someone who didn't deserve it. Then the Goddesses show up are like 'what did I tell you?!" and send them on a time out to Themyscira. The other option is they end up accidentally unleashing the monsters in Dooms Doorway and the Goddesses banish them to Themyscira in order to guard Dooms Doorway.
    My personal head canon is the whole Hippolyta as the 10th queen and all that. But, from the first founding queen all the way down to the 9th, each one kind of strayed away from the original intent the Gods had for them. From getting into conflicts and war to gaining territory being involved in but not leading the world. I. E. falling into this idea that Ares can in fact influence the amazons just not as much and not as extremely as regular mortals. So, its more of a generational digression that culminates into the amazons leaving the world and looking after Dooms Doorway.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

My personal canon would be that the Amazons did originate as an Ares worshiping cult and that Hippolyta is one of his daughters and initially she believed in his philosophy until she saw the horrors and devastation of war which lead her to create her own sect and defect to the Goddesses side resulting in the founding of Amazonia. Of course this angered Ares and his attempts to turn Hippolyta back results in the destruction of Amazonia.

What's Amazonia?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

At the top of my head.

Why can't current WW in comics and movies be capable of.

1)not having to worry about bullets damage as if she was a mere mortal.
    2)can't tank a building falling onto her.
    3)Can't have striking force that can shatter glass, concrete and steel around her.
    4)have faster than super sonic speed.

Basically the most basic things that even some street levelers can achieve. Not even talking about planetary feats yet since she doesn't even seem capable of the things i just mentioned currently. WW nowadays looks very fragil.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I know its adapted from the comic but I always felt that WW should've been able to fair slightly better against Mongul. She can hit Superman without breaking bones, Mongul shouldnt be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I know its adapted from the comic but I always felt that WW should've been able to fair slightly better against Mongul. She can hit Superman without breaking bones, Mongul shouldnt be much different.
    Yeah, I feel like this comic partly established a minor narrative that Diana can't handle Superman's "heavy hitting" villains. Ignoring the obvious fact that Diana and Clark are suppose to be equals in power, Diana has more experience as a fighter. Mongul's whole thing is that he is this lord overseeing a gladiator arena, or something akin to that. You'd think a highly trained amazon warrior princess would handle herself better then the alien raised in Kansas. Not saying Clark can't throw the good ol one two every now and again, but he isn't as skilled as Diana.

Sweet suplex move in the show though.

Comes with adapting a pre-Crisis story where Supes was unarguably stronger than WW but putting it in the DCAU which followed more along the lines of the Post-Crisis depiction of Superman.

Unrelated but Gibbons also draws a pretty good WW.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-07-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I have to agree with PrimalSlayer here... the amazons shouldn't be demigods, superhuman like Captian America sure, but not demigods. Actually, the only amazon demigods should be Hippolyta and her 3 sisters since they are actual children of Ares.".
    But they're not, so....

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Comes with adapting a pre-Crisis story where Supes was unarguably stronger than WW but putting it in the DCAU which followed more along the lines of the Post-Crisis depiction of Superman.

Unrelated but Gibbons also draws a pretty good DC Univese.

Fixed it for you.

Yeah, Pre-Crisis Superman, even during the Bronze Age, was just stronger than almost anyone. You'd have to be The Spectre to outclass him. Diana not being Clark's equal at that point in history (as opposed to the golden age, for example) isn't really her being weak so much as Superman being, well, super broken.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    But they're not, so....
    Actually, Ares himself said he was Hippolyta's father back in Bryne's run I believe, I'm only making the assumption that the 3 other children of Ares that are also amazons are included. Since, Antiope at least is seeing a massive push. I don't know what would be wrong with that, give a ton of interesting natural drama for stories.

Comes with adapting a pre-Crisis story where Supes was unarguably stronger than WW.
    Why would it be unarguable? On the Justice League of America book I know of at least two instances where Superman and Wonder Woman are of equal strength. Justice League of America #143
    IMG_20210808_081901.jpg
    IMG_20210808_081847.jpg

and Justice League of America #231
    IMG_20210808_081929.jpg

Super heroes have always been as strong or as vulnerable as the story demands, no matter if it's Golden Age or Silver Age or even today.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-08-2021 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Actually, Ares himself said he was Hippolyta's father back in Bryne's run I believe, I'm only making the assumption that the 3 other children of Ares that are also amazons are included. Since, Antiope at least is seeing a massive push. I don't know what would be wrong with that, give a ton of interesting natural drama for stories.

Another example of his laziness, and another problem with his run.
    Clearly not in line with what came before as the established history of the Amazons ( Amazons created by the Goddess ( es) , etc.

He either fully ignored the established continuity, or was ignorant of it and pulled out his Bulfinch's Mythology to look up "Amazons".

Much like Prince Theno (sp?) From the Silver Age, this should not be taken seriously.

It doesn't contradict what came before though. Perez established that the Amazons were reincarnations of women slain due to male violence. Hippolyta could have very well been a daughter of Ares slain during mortal times and then reborn as the Amazon Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It doesn't contradict what came before though. Perez established that the Amazons were reincarnations of women slain due to male violence. Hippolyta could have very well been a daughter of Ares slain during mortal times and then reborn as the Amazon Queen.
    Well that's what Ares says a couple of pages later.

That number also resolves the return of Donna and Diana.
    I remember all the questions that Wally asks as if Byrne put him in the place of the reader and answered all the inconsistencies that we could find.
    All so sadly funny.