Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I wouldn't want Diana to be fully bullet-proof; I like the suggestion that she still bleed, but not be fatally impacted (similar to Aquaman). I'm attached to the visual of her defending herself from bullets, and I also think that it's far more important to represent her best physical qualities - dexterity, agility, skill, martial prowess - over sheer physical resistance.

If she were to casually walk through machine-gunfire without so much as blinking, like Faora in MOS did, it would feel wrong to me. Sometimes overpowering the character can reduce their agency and rob them of a chance to show what else they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I wouldn't want Diana to be fully bullet-proof; I like the suggestion that she still bleed, but not be fatally impacted (similar to Aquaman). I'm attached to the visual of her defending herself from bullets, and I also think that it's far more important to represent her best physical qualities - dexterity, agility, skill, martial prowess - over sheer physical resistance.

If she were to casually walk through machine-gunfire without so much as blinking, like Faora in MOS did, it would feel wrong to me. Sometimes overpowering the character can reduce their agency and rob them of a chance to show what else they can do.
    I also like the sparks they make when they hit her bracers.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

WW is not overpowered. And wouldn't be overpowered if she was bulletproof. And she would still bleed even if she was bulletproof. WW is already supposed to be super strong and durable to hang with kryptonians. So yes, her weakness to something far below that doesn't help to create ''better'' stories or battles. On the contrary. It is one of the reasons why she has been jobbing more these past years. And she can still use the bracelets and show her skills while being bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    WW is not overpowered. And wouldn't be overpowered if she was bulletproof. And she would still bleed even if she was bulletproof. WW is already supposed to be super strong and durable to hang with kryptonians. So yes, her weakness to something far below that doesn't help to create ''better'' stories or battles. On the contrary. It is one of the reasons why she has been jobbing more these past years. And she can still use the bracelets and show her skills while being bulletproof.
    I have to agree with this, I can't tell you the number of times I've read recent stories where the most impressive thing she does is block some bullets . She's done this against a vast majority of her recent encounters. Its like writers just don't amp up the threats because they think the only way to put tension in a comic is to exploit a character's weaknesses..... and Diana is infamously known to tank attacks from Darkseid but can be "killed" by a bullet. Which is partially why we have tiresome debates about how weak she's been to people responding with her fight with Phantom Stranger. Thing is, writers and creators aren't wrong about using a character's weakness to build tension, but when your suppose to be on equal footing with the Man of Steel and your body can some how still be pierced by regular old bullets, you run into scenarios like the JL issue or just only seeing Diana block bullets and pretty much nothing else.

The only solution to this problem, I think at least, is to give her more then like 1 weakness, and for those weaknesses to I guess make sense for the character's respective power level. Which I've already done in a previous thread concerning her weaknesses, if I can find it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

This!!

I’ll never understand how anyone can find it interesting when a character can effortlessly walk through any situation and come out the other end without a scratch. Right now, I think mostly ALL these characters are ridiculously overpowered. Moving planets..? C’mon! Heroes and villains alike need to have a set of strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited for story purposes, otherwise you end up with a couple of flying bricks just beating the tar out of each other and causing senseless property damage. No real conflict, no real resolutions — in other words, no story.

I think a lot of these discussions focus on what we think might be going through a writers head when they are writing & how they might see WW according to how she’s been portrayed in the past & I partially agree. But at the end of the day, I think a writer is going to write the story he/she wants - with malleable characterizations and power set portrayals- in order to achieve the ending they want.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    You always say she's supposed to be as physically durable as a Kryptonian, but that's a subjective opinion.

If she's completely bulletproof, she has less of a reason to defend herself against bullet-fire. And if she bleeds, she's not completely bulletproof. I think the character is more impressive displaying her skill and agility than sheer physical durability. That doesn't mean I want her to job to other superheroes in this respect.

She could be bulletproof but blocks them with her bracelets because she finds it amusing and the Amazons did it for fun on their island. That's how it was in the Golden Age.

Another possibility is that she can shrug off shots from a hand gun and shot guns but higher caliber bullets like one from a machine gun or an anti air craft gun can bruise and ones higher than that can injure her. However, when she is wearing the girdle she can shrug off anything as long as she's tapping into it's power.

Mighty Member

Hmm, when it comes to bullets and bracelets vs bulletproofing, I feel that you can kind of do both...I feel that people want her to just tank stuff like Superman would. The question is why? Even if it isn't going to hurt or kill her, she should have the finesse to avoid any annoyance when possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Hmm, when it comes to bullets and bracelets vs bulletproofing, I feel that you can kind of do both...I feel that people want her to just tank stuff like Superman would. The question is why? Even if it isn't going to hurt or kill her, she should have the finesse to avoid any annoyance when possible.
    I think people just assume that because Superman just stands there for everything that comes his way that Diana should be ok with it too...

Maybe Sups should be taking notes from WW instead and block attacks more. Like, in the DC universe, you never know if that common crook has got magic bullets in his magazine or something.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think people just assume that because Superman just stands there for everything that comes his way that Diana should be ok with it too...

Maybe Sups should be taking notes from WW instead and block attacks more. Like, in the DC universe, you never know if that common crook has got magic bullets in his magazine or something.
    That's a good point, but then she could just grab them with her bear hands like Superman so often does. The bracelets (to me at least) communicate a shielding.

I agree with others that a gradation makes sense. I don't imagine Wonder Woman dying from a handgun wound. A .50 caliber bullet might bruise her and draw some blood, but she's not getting headshotted in one go. Something truly special and penetrative would have to pierce her skull.

That's a good point, but then she could just grab them with her bear hands like Superman so often does. The bracelets (to me at least) communicate a shielding.

I agree with others that a gradation makes sense. I don't imagine Wonder Woman dying from a handgun wound. A .50 caliber bullet might bruise her and draw some blood, but she's not getting headshotted in one go. Something truly special and penetrative would have to pierce her skull.
    Yeah, I would like if her skin wasn't bullet proof but her bones and muscles are.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

That does make sense.

Heck even Batman's suit is supposed to be bulletproof (with the exception of his chin) nowadays and he avoids bullets. All three of the trinity have different styles when dealing with bullet, Bruce runs, Clark tanks, Diana blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    This!!

I’ll never understand how anyone can find it interesting when a character can effortlessly walk through any situation and come out the other end without a scratch. Right now, I think mostly ALL these characters are ridiculously overpowered. Moving planets..? C’mon! Heroes and villains alike need to have a set of strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited for story purposes, otherwise you end up with a couple of flying bricks just beating the tar out of each other and causing senseless property damage. No real conflict, no real resolutions — in other words, no story.

I think a lot of these discussions focus on what we think might be going through a writers head when they are writing & how they might see WW according to how she’s been portrayed in the past & I partially agree. But at the end of the day, I think a writer is going to write the story he/she wants - with malleable characterizations and power set portrayals- in order to achieve the ending they want.
    I will never understand how anybody can think WW being bulletproof is making her overpowered. Or make it difficult to write stories with her. That is not true at all. And OP doesn't exist. Because any writer with enough imagination should be able to find villains that can properly challenge the hero based on the power level that hero is supposed to have.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 05-06-2021 at 12:54 PM.

You always say she's supposed to be as physically durable as a Kryptonian, but that's a subjective opinion.

If she's completely bulletproof, she has less of a reason to defend herself against bullet-fire. And if she bleeds, she's not completely bulletproof. I think the character is more impressive displaying her skill and agility than sheer physical durability. That doesn't mean I want her to job to other superheroes in this respect.
    It is not subjective when DC constantly says she is one of the strongest beings in DC. Constantly compares her to Superman and gives her a pefect trackrecord of winning against supergirl. If she operates at a level to hang out with them. Then her body has to be pretty damn strong. Being hurt by bullets doesn't add anything. She can still bleed from other type of more powerful attacks like other characters do. And she can still use her bracelets and skills. One thing doesn't negate the other.

Also the weakness to bullets argument always goes in the direction of, "but bullets shouldn't hurt her because she shrugs off blows from ridiculously powerful beings" and not "but she's weak to bullets, she shouldn't be able to take a hit from Kryptonians".

Edit: That's because everyone knows bullets piecing her doesn't make sense. But really I don't even think about it at a weakness, more and inconvenience at best, since it comes up so little.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-06-2021 at 01:12 PM.