Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I prefer for her to be vulnerable to bullets. It actually fits well for a character connected to the Greek myth, like her own Achilles heel. Of course she shouldn't die from a couple of bullet wounds and it shouldn't be easy to hit her in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I prefer for her to be vulnerable to bullets. It actually fits well for a character connected to the Greek myth, like her own Achilles heel. Of course she shouldn't die from a couple of bullet wounds and it shouldn't be easy to hit her in the first place.
    But, she can have a better one more then just one as we've pointed out.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I think I remember reading somewhere or being told by someone that Marston wanted to show that Diana was capable of doing what Superman could do but in her own unique way. So, she's never been stated to have a weakness to regular old bullets and knives, just that she never gotten hit before so people kind of put it on her. Her golden age weaknesses usually where tied to Marston's ideology i.e. being bound by a man or being compelled to obey the orders of someone that is in the Dom role in BDSM.

This whole thing may have spawned from Marston caring more about his ideology in his stories vs actually having a legit weakness for an amazon blessed by Aphrodite and Athena with a Goku training complex. At least when it comes to weaknesses, I do like some of his villains.
    His Diana wasn't blessed by Athena and the only gift Aphrodite gave her was life itself.

Diana's body was just like our body. There is a panel where she gets knocked out from being hit with the butt of a gun (and there's no indication that the gun was deformed by hitting her skin).

The only thing that made Diana special was her virtue and immense confidence. If Diana switched bodies with Etta Candy she still would have been just as strong.

I think I remember reading somewhere or being told by someone that Marston wanted to show that Diana was capable of doing what Superman could do but in her own unique way. So, she's never been stated to have a weakness to regular old bullets and knives, just that she never gotten hit before so people kind of put it on her. Her golden age weaknesses usually where tied to Marston's ideology i.e. being bound by a man or being compelled to obey the orders of someone that is in the Dom role in BDSM.

This whole thing may have spawned from Marston caring more about his ideology in his stories vs actually having a legit weakness for an amazon blessed by Aphrodite and Athena with a Goku training complex. At least when it comes to weaknesses, I do like some of his villains.
    My interpretation of the being bound thing is that the bracelets are both a blessing and a curse, and not just armor. At least in Marston's take. The idea is that the gods are fickle and petty(not always cruel, but sometimes). So since in Marston's take her powers were divine gifts, they came with divine weaknesses. Honestly, it just makes more sense that way.

Diana is a normal amazon, she wasn't blessed by the gods, she is comparable to the gods.

IMG_20210605_194844.jpgIMG_20210605_194911.jpg

The only thing that makes Diana so much stronger is that she has much more willpower than anyone else, and in Marston's world, a lack of willpower is the thing stopping you from lifting a tank. It's also the thing standing between you making the world an utopia.
    IMG_20210605_194724.jpg

Fantastic Member

If the magic bracelets were broken or removed, Diana and her amazon sisters would go berserk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Diana is a normal amazon, she wasn't blessed by the gods, she is comparable to the gods.

IMG_20210605_194844.jpgIMG_20210605_194911.jpg

The only thing that makes Diana so much stronger is that she has much more willpower than anyone else, and in Marston's world, a lack of willpower is the thing stopping you from lifting a tank. It's also the thing standing between you making the world an utopia.
    IMG_20210605_194724.jpg
    Of course I'm only talking about Marston, not Kanigher and beyond. I still don't know how I feel about that specific part of his vision.

The idea that anyone can literally be just as strong as Wonder Woman is interesting, but difficult to work with in the DC universe.
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-05-2021 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Achilles’ heel is how I view it also. Or Baldur from Norse myth being immune to just about everything but mistletoe.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Achilles’ heel is how I view it also. Or Baldur from Norse myth being immune to just about everything but mistletoe.
    That ''achilles heel'' has caused nothing but trouble. Most writers don't care about portraying WW's powers properly, let alone caring to explain a silly weakness that in reality should have her getting killed by anything with enough piercing force as a bullet or above. It is one of the main reasons why these years have been Wonder street vs street levelers most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Of course I'm only talking about Marston, not Kanigher and beyond. I still don't know how I feel about that specific part of his vision.

The idea that anyone can literally be just as strong as Wonder Woman is interesting, but difficult to work with in the DC universe.
    Well, it also goes with how the old version had a contest to determine which Amazon would have the honor of being chosen to become Wonder Woman.

The contest isn't fair if Diana is just naturally more powerful than everyone else. But at the same time it doesn't really work as a superhero concept if the others are actually nearly equal overall. So you really need Diana to be at least more powerful as WW.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, it also goes with how the old version had a contest to determine which Amazon would have the honor of being chosen to become Wonder Woman.

The contest isn't fair if Diana is just naturally more powerful than everyone else. But at the same time it doesn't really work as a superhero concept if the others are actually nearly equal overall. So you really need Diana to be at least more powerful as WW.
    Would it has worked better if she wasn't significantly stronger than her fellow Amazons and after winning the contest, she would then be blessed with the powers she has? Or would that be an issue as well -- wherein she could be stripped of her powers for whatever reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Would it has worked better if she wasn't significantly stronger than her fellow Amazons and after winning the contest, she would then be blessed with the powers she has? Or would that be an issue as well -- wherein she could be stripped of her powers for whatever reasons?
    Now that's an interesting question. In Superfriends, there's an episode where Priscilla Rich(Cheetah) uses time travel to take part in the tournament. While she cheats to win the final match, she gets to the final match seemingly on her own. Yeah, this is Priscilla Rich.... who is allegedly a fancy athlete and doesn't have any real powers until she becomes Wonder Woman. So the idea that Diana didn't have much in the way of powers before becoming WW seems to be true in Superfriends at least. The specifics of HOW she becomes super as WW aren't explained(magic armor? divine empowerment?), but it's still true that as Diana she apparently wasn't all that powerful.

But some versions of WW definitely have innate powers. And some versions give Amazons innate powers in general too.

I don't know if anyone is reading JL: Last Ride but, Diana helped Superman, Hal and John push a huge space ship out of the event horizon of a black hole. Which was nice that she was added, usually artist/writers would just ignore her since she was in the space jet(?) at the time. She is nearly totally out of character and her voice is more in line with Nu52 warrior woman, but that was a nice to include her in the space rescue.

I don't know if anyone is reading JL: Last Ride but, Diana helped Superman, Hal and John push a huge space ship out of the event horizon of a black hole. Which was nice that she was added, usually artist/writers would just ignore her since she was in the space jet(?) at the time. She is nearly totally out of character and her voice is more in line with Nu52 warrior woman, but that was a nice to include her in the space rescue.
    Yeah, not a fan of Zdarsky's writing of her so far. His characterization wasn't Tom Taylor-bad but it's in the same ballpark so far from what I've read.

Probably gonna drop the series depending on the next issue goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, not a fan of Zdarsky's writing of her so far. His characterization wasn't Tom Taylor-bad but it's in the same ballpark so far from what I've read.

Probably gonna drop the series depending on the next issue goes.
    The Lobo interaction was definitely something, and the man really brought back Orion's "legs" insult. Sir we aren't in the play ground no more.