Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Ares had a whole intergalactic slave trade in the golden age.
    That was decades ago, though. I'd say at worst, he and Zeus are equally bad now.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-09-2021 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    To me, making Hippolyta Ares's daughter just subjects her to the same issues for her character that being Zeus's daughter would bring for Diana.
    I disagree.

The problem with Diana being the daughter of Zeus is that it bulldozes down a very well established origin story and shifts the focus away from the Amazons and the themes that WW represents. Suddenly her power and specialness comes from the Harvey Weinstein of the Gods.

Meanwhile, Hippolyta suffers from being a cipher, she's either the Queen or the stern mother and even in her own backstory she comes off as a puppet of the Gods rather than a character in her own right (though Historia might change that). Rarely does she get a story arc for herself and when writers try to give her a backstory, it's usually by pairing her off with a Greek character; Hades (DCAU), Ares (2009 movie), Zeus (2017 movie) or Heracles (Earth One). It's boring and trite.

Hippolyta being the daughter of Ares opens up door ways to new storytelling possibilities; how does the daughter of a brutal war god become the leader of the very force that opposes him? It gives Hippolyta her own character arc, it also opens the doors to incorporating characters like Queen Otrera, Penthiselia, Melanippe and Antiope in a more organic way and more importantly it reinforces the core themes of WW (love vs war, aggression vs submission) and doesn't take away from it and it also elevates the importance of the Amazons.

Plus, anything to short circuit the 'Daughter of Zeus' origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Considering that Hippolyta can fly in the JL book I imagine she's already a demigod of sorts. Or it's just Bendis being Bendis
    Definitely just Bendis being Bendis.

Well to be fair, Robert kanigher set the precedent for Hippolyta flying. She flew all the time in the Impossible tales with the Wonder Family

Well to be fair, Robert kanigher set the precedent for Hippolyta flying. She flew all the time in the Impossible tales with the Wonder Family
    That’s true but I don’t think Bendis has ever read a Kanigher Wonder Woman issue in his life.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I don't think it does, because Hippolyta should be a woman that was hurt by the world, and having the worst kind of father is in line with that.

But at the same time, Wonder Woman lore already has way too much Greek Mythos in it and this would only further wrap up them up in the god stuf, which I definitely don't want.
    Except that Hippolyta is an adaptation of a mythological character, soo.....

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Except that Hippolyta is an adaptation of a mythological character, soo.....
    And in both of her most famous myths she dies.

Wonder Woman doesn't owe anything to the greek myths. Writers can use those ideas whatever way they see fit. The thing is though that I find literally every other aspect of thr Wonder Woman world far more interesting than the integration of greek mythology.

I wanna see Queen Atomia, a developed Holliday Girls a Themyscira that is something beyond the overused and boring ancient greek aesthetic, space adventures with Queen Desira, etc,

To be clear, I love Greek myths, but I hate the fact that Wonder Woman has been so dependent on them for the last 30 years, with only small intervals where they didn't matter.

This is why I like the idea of Holliday College could be somehow a link to the Amazons. That the reason why the Amazons needed to have their own tech is due to demons from the Doom gate escape and they needed new tech. Also due to interconnected again with their sister tribes. With the Amazon skill I would like the Amazons on Paradise Island to have their own cities and have slightly different skills

To be clear, I love Greek myths, but I hate the fact that Wonder Woman has been so dependent on them for the last 30 years, with only small intervals where they didn't matter.
    Yeah, but... the WW part of the DCU is made out of mythical stuff

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    That’s true but I don’t think Bendis has ever read a Kanigher Wonder Woman issue in his life.
    And just like that I've never been more jealous of Brian Michael Bendis.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

And in both of her most famous myths she dies.

Wonder Woman doesn't owe anything to the greek myths. Writers can use those ideas whatever way they see fit. The thing is though that I find literally every other aspect of thr Wonder Woman world far more interesting than the integration of greek mythology.

I wanna see Queen Atomia, a developed Holliday Girls a Themyscira that is something beyond the overused and boring ancient greek aesthetic, space adventures with Queen Desira, etc,

Here we go again. "I personally don't like X so X doesn't matter, shouldn't matter and never mattered". The foundation of WW lore is Greek Myths. Her mother is a figure from Greek myth, her biggest enemy is from the Greek mythos and she was literally brought to life and given powers by the Greek Gods. Greek mythology will always factor into WW. Should they focus on other stuff too? Of course. But to state that WW doesn't 'owe' anything to the Greek Gods is balantly false because they are the foundations upon which the series is built.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Here we go again. "I personally don't like X so X doesn't matter, shouldn't matter and never mattered". The foundation of WW lore is Greek Myths. Her mother is a figure from Greek myth, her biggest enemy is from the Greek mythos and she was literally brought to life and given powers by the Greek Gods. Greek mythology will always factor into WW. Should they focus on other stuff too? Of course. But to state that WW doesn't 'owe' anything to the Greek Gods is balantly false because they are the foundations upon which the series is built.
    Truer words have never been spoken on this topic.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    First of all, I'm not saying others can't like it, I'm saying I despise it. Second, the reason why I was talking about this is because someone implied Hippolyta had to be Ares' son just because she was so in Greek Myth, even though in Greek Myth Theseus and Hercules killed her and thus she shouldn't even be alive today and Diana shouldn't exist.

This isn't an adaptation of Greek Myth, it just tales ideas from it and writers have no obligation to worry about how consistent they are with the classical stories of ancient Greece. They don't owe them anything.

And finally, in the Golden Age (which was the apex of world building for Diana) Greek Mythology was like 15% of her universe, at most. Aphrodite would tell Diana about a slave trader from Saturn that was to infiltrate the US government through spies or something like that, and then the adventure would start and Greek stories had nothing to do with it. Mars was always up to something, but even his plans barely referenced or were inspired actual greek mythology. Diana's world was huge, bigger than Superman's today, with so many recurring characters on earth and in space. That's the kind of stuff that made her appealing for kids.

Taylor has a new book that will be announced tomorrow. Looks like Bats & Supes are in it, so Wondy will probably be there too, and she will probably job and/or die. mystical’s suffering continues
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

So here is the thing the girdle how powerful will the amazons become and does it give Diana a power boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Taylor has a new book that will be announced tomorrow. Looks like Bats & Supes are in it, so Wondy will probably be there too, and she will probably job and/or die. mystical’s suffering continues
    Don't be so narrow minded, she could also simp for Supes and just be there to give a general speech that anyone could give.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor