Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

I honestly don't get this argument. Heroes usually face threats relative to their power levels. If you are reading stuff like Toriko or Dragon Ball, then the villains will also be Planetary or beyond and the heroes in these series receive far worse beatings and injuries than I've ever seen Wonder Woman get in any of her comics. You don't need to nerf your character to challenge them.

Nerfing Wonder woman literally leads to nerfing her villains. Just look at Sensation and the street level stuff going on over there.

The only time Wonder Woman is ever gonna breeze through villains is if she is somehow set up against weak opponents for some ridiculous reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It is not subjective when DC constantly says she is one of the strongest beings in DC. Constantly compares her to Superman and gives her a pefect trackrecord of winning against supergirl. If she operates at a level to hang out with them. Then her body has to be pretty damn strong. Being hurt by bullets doesn't add anything. She can still bleed from other type of more powerful attacks like other characters do. And she can still use her bracelets and skills. One thing doesn't negate the other.
    And at this point any DC villain of note who wants to remain in the game should at least have some magical weaponry or alien weaponry.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it was magic bullets or bullets made of New God tech or Nth metal piercing her.

But stuff made of ordinary steel makes no sense. If that's all it takes to end her, then she shouldn't be going through buildings considering they're reinforced with steel wires.

And anyone who understands even elementary physics knows the relationship between surface area and force, which is the only reason bullets and other projectiles have that kind of penetration power. It isn't some mysticism so as long as any person's punch beats that equation relative to a bullet, it should go right through her. I think this is the main reason DCeased had Superman kill Wonder Woman with a punch. That's realistically what would happen if you take her piercing weakness into account. Though that got me so mad that I dropped the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    And at this point any DC villain of note who wants to remain in the game should at least have some magical weaponry or alien weaponry.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it was magic bullets or bullets made of New God tech or Nth metal piercing her.

But stuff made of ordinary steel makes no sense. If that's all it takes to end her, then she shouldn't be going through buildings considering they're reinforced with steel wires.

And anyone who understands even elementary physics knows the relationship between surface area and force, which is the only reason bullets and other projectiles have that kind of penetration power. It isn't some mysticism so as long as any person's punch beats that equation relative to a bullet, it should go right through her. I think this is the main reason DCeased had Superman kill Wonder Woman with a punch. That's realistically what would happen if you take her piercing weakness into account. Though that got me so mad that I dropped the book.
    Trust me, that's not why. Tom Tylor's WW is bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Trust me, that's not why. Tom Tylor's WW is bullet proof.
    I think it’s more Taylor’s just a Superman fanboy so everyone’s beneath him.

So it's Taylor just being a Superman fanboy and putting him leagues above Diana. That's even more disappointing but I didn't continue with the series past that issue so I didn't see more.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    This!!

I’ll never understand how anyone can find it interesting when a character can effortlessly walk through any situation and come out the other end without a scratch. Right now, I think mostly ALL these characters are ridiculously overpowered. Moving planets..? C’mon! Heroes and villains alike need to have a set of strengths and weaknesses that can be exploited for story purposes, otherwise you end up with a couple of flying bricks just beating the tar out of each other and causing senseless property damage. No real conflict, no real resolutions — in other words, no story.

I think a lot of these discussions focus on what we think might be going through a writers head when they are writing & how they might see WW according to how she’s been portrayed in the past & I partially agree. But at the end of the day, I think a writer is going to write the story he/she wants - with malleable characterizations and power set portrayals- in order to achieve the ending they want.
    Counterargument.

Yeah, we're not gonna get a story where that much cruelty and horrific violence happens as Wonder Woman stands there. Nor do I want it.

I don’t really think showing two out-of-context clips from an unrelated show that the poster probably doesn’t like without explaining why you like them counts as a counterargument.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    So it's Taylor just being a Superman fanboy and putting him leagues above Diana. That's even more disappointing but I didn't continue with the series past that issue so I didn't see more.
    Zombie WW gets a few fun moments but is ultimately a chump, so it’s probably for the best.

I’ve read Taylor’s other works and I would have thought he would love to write a more fun-loving Diana, especially since she can talk to animals which is something I would think he would loved to play-up her “Disney princess” aspects but for some reason he resorts to having her be more unnecessarily brutal...

But the whole DCeased story is another example of WW being a dummy and not using her lasso because if she had (Cyborg does at the end on her after she’s zombie-fide) she would have learned there is a cure...

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I don’t really think showing two out-of-context clips from an unrelated show that the poster probably doesn’t like without explaining why you like them counts as a counterargument.
    My point is that you don't need to make a flying brick vulnerable to bullets to put them in peril or get a good story. Invincible did both without making him weak to bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    My point is that you don't need to make a flying brick vulnerable to bullets to put them in peril or get a good story. Invincible did both without making him weak to bullets.
    So your counter argument was two clips of flying bricks beating the hell out of each other..?

Also, my argument wasn’t specifically about bullets and WW but more about how ridiculously overpowered all the superhero/villain characters have become over the years. Each one “one-upping” the next until you get only a semblance of the original character and a wish-list of abilities that come and go according to what any given writer wants (lookin at you, Batman).

As much as I loved Invincible (overwhelming violence and gore aside), I felt like the ending to the “big battle” was anticlimactic because the antagonist was SO overpowered. I don’t want to say anymore and spoil it for anyone, but I feel like the end of that battle came with no real resolution because a character like that will eventually just put you in a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    So your counter argument was two clips of flying bricks beating the hell out of each other..?

Also, my argument wasn’t specifically about bullets and WW but more about how ridiculously overpowered all the superhero/villain characters have become over the years. Each one “one-upping” the next until you get only a semblance of the original character and a wish-list of abilities that come and go according to what any given writer wants (lookin at you, Batman).

As much as I loved Invincible (overwhelming violence and gore aside), I felt like the ending to the “big battle” was anticlimactic because the antagonist was SO overpowered. I don’t want to say anymore and spoil it for anyone, but I feel like the end of that battle came with no real resolution because a character like that will eventually just put you in a corner.
    No one is asking for Diana to be as powerful as spoilers:
    Omni-Man who is considerably weaker in the show anyway. Also, his power level isn't the problem you think it is.
    end of spoilers

This isn't a call for Diana to be overpowered but for consistent and better handling of her power level. That does not require making her overpowered. No one is asking for her to effortlessly walk through a problem and I specifically linked to the two scenes from Invincible for that reason.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one is asking for Diana to be as powerful as spoilers:
    Omni-Man who is considerably weaker in the show anyway. Also, his power level isn't the problem you think it is.
    end of spoilers

This isn't a call for Diana to be overpowered but for consistent and better handling of her power level. That does not require making her overpowered. No one is asking for her to effortlessly walk through a problem and I specifically linked to the two scenes from Invincible for that reason.
    Why shouldn't she be as powerful as him or more? Power levels are not an obstacle to create a good story. It is time to understand this.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It is not subjective when DC constantly says she is one of the strongest beings in DC. Constantly compares her to Superman and gives her a pefect trackrecord of winning against supergirl. If she operates at a level to hang out with them. Then her body has to be pretty damn strong. Being hurt by bullets doesn't add anything. She can still bleed from other type of more powerful attacks like other characters do. And she can still use her bracelets and skills. One thing doesn't negate the other.
    She can still be one of the strongest beings in DC and bleed from heavy rounds without being seriously hurt. Head to head she's top tier based on her physical ability and skill, that doesn't mean her vulnerabilities have to be identical to everyone else's.

Since most people in this thread don't seem to think she should be especially vulnerable to bullets anyway, can you even point to a panel or a scenario in which you and I would disagree on the outcome? In what scenario do our competing visions make a material difference?