Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Blame Justice League and Super-Friends. No really. The pre-crisis JLA didn't showcase Diana's strength that much. And the TV show was worse at that. Diana's title in pre-crisis was the lowest-selling book, so I doubt many fans read that. Which leaves the JLA, Super-Friends, and the Lynda Carter TV show as their main exposure.
    I know what you mean. Diana was frequently shown with Lasso in hand, sometimes on the outside of the Invisible Jet, but little use of her super-strength. Kids especially thought Diana just had a low-level of super-strength and needed the plane and lasso to fight the villains.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Blame Justice League and Super-Friends. No really. The pre-crisis JLA didn't showcase Diana's strength that much. And the TV show was worse at that. Diana's title in pre-crisis was the lowest-selling book, so I doubt many fans read that. Which leaves the JLA, Super-Friends, and the Lynda Carter TV show as their main exposure.
    You mean blame the sexist people behind those shows. Because they could have shown her power in big ways if they wanted to.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    You mean blame the sexist people behind those shows. Because they could have shown her power in big ways if they wanted to.
    I can't say Super-Friends was ever sexist. They were writing what was standard in the comics at the time, somewhat. The series did establish Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Green Lantern were the three most powerful members of the Justice League. They showed Wendy being a better teen side-kick than Wonder Dog and Marvin. No idea why they didn't keep her, and just got rid of the other two.

So, I can't say it was sexist. The comics? It's a toss up. Gerry Conway during his time always found a way to show Diana's value.

I can't say Super-Friends was ever sexist. They were writing what was standard in the comics at the time, somewhat. The series did establish Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Green Lantern were the three most powerful members of the Justice League. They showed Wendy being a better teen side-kick than Wonder Dog and Marvin. No idea why they didn't keep her, and just got rid of the other two.

So, I can't say it was sexist. The comics? It's a toss up. Gerry Conway during his time always found a way to show Diana's value.
    Super Friends WW was a helpless punching bag in 99% of the show. And the comic WW of that era was not even close to being that weak. So yeah. Sexism.

Also guys like black adam and shazam are far less known characters. They are not even big sellers at all or iconic to the GO worldwide. Yet they always adapt them respecting their power set and their status as heavy hitters. Yet they can't remember WW's powers and how powerful she is supposed to be? Sure. Sexism has nothing to do with that. Sigh

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Super Friends WW was a helpless punching bag in 99% of the show. And the comic WW of that era was not even close to being that weak. So yeah. Sexism.

Also guys like black adam and shazam are far less known characters. They are not even big sellers at all or iconic to the GO worldwide. Yet they always adapt them respecting their power set and their status as heavy hitters. Yet they can't remember WW's powers and how powerful she is supposed to be? Sure. Sexism has nothing to do with that. Sigh
    Same goes for Aquaman and all he did was water-related missions in Super-Friends. The big difference between Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel is that he's apart of that mold of characters that was inspired by Superman. So, Black Adam being one of Billy's most well-known foes who have the same powers, yeah it makes sense. Not to mention Diana for years was overshadowed by Supergirl.

Same goes for Aquaman and all he did was water-related missions in Super-Friends. The big difference between Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel is that he's apart of that mold of characters that was inspired by Superman. So, Black Adam being one of Billy's most well-known foes who have the same powers, yeah it makes sense. Not to mention Diana for years was overshadowed by Supergirl.
    It doesn't make sense. Those writers can do a research for shazam or ba to know their powers. Yet can't do that for WW? Face it. They probably know what her powers are. And how powerful she is meant to be. They don't want to show t because they are bias and very likely sexist. Also Wonder Woman was created to be an equal to Superman. And Supergirl at no point in time had the impact and pop culture icon status that WW has had.

Apparently Batman can build a robot capable of soloing the entire DCU, including WW lmao

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Apparently Batman can build a robot capable of soloing the entire DCU, including WW lmao

I don't understand putting Diana under the blanket of a 'meta' when she isn't... She's a legit goddess like wtf?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

So, wait...was Diana one of the 78% sent packing, or one of the 17 occupied with other skirmishes?

I guess it doesn't matter. Given the evident nature of this particular story, even if she didn't show up, she would've been taken out because the plot said so. So chalk up yet another example of the great Justice League being completely useless. In yet another rehash of Batman's contingency plans going wrong.

Creative bankruptcy all around.

What I find more revealing is, if she was beaten by this thing, it apparently happened off-panel. We don't get to see what cunning trap she fell for, or how she was overpowered or outfought. Because Diana doesn't have a specific, exploitable weakness for Batman or his contingency plans to utilize, so it can only happen off-panel. We just have to take the story's word for it.
    "Yep...he was too smart for her, too. Promise. It happened over there, where you weren't looking."

This even goes back to Tower of Babel where Bruce's big plan for Diana was--on its face--the most convoluted and absurd.
    Like, every other hero's was pretty straight forward. Superman gets a form of Kryptonite. Flash is hit with a vibrating bullet he can't phase through. Green Lantern is blinded so he can't form constructs. J'onn is set on fire. Et cetera.

Diana? Shoot her with a nano-chip that lodges in her brain and makes her think she's fighting an unbeatable opponent, thus her competitive nature will make her overexert herself, have a heart attack, and die.
    That one really feels like up till dawn, sixth cup of coffee, trying to figure out something clever for Wonder Woman, then Bruce just threw his hands up and said, "Screw it! That's all I got!"

It would be cool if writers actually incorporated that into the canon. If Bruce must be a paranoid ass-hat who obsessively plans the torture and humiliation of his "friends," it would actually be cool if Diana was the one ally he can't come up with anything for because she doesn't have a specific weakness he can exploit. Make something out of that?

But that will never happen. That would suggest she's on equal footing with her peers, and we dare not suggest the almighty Bat can't out-think anyone and everyone...much less Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    So, wait...was Diana one of the 78% sent packing, or one of the 17 occupied with other skirmishes?

I guess it doesn't matter. Given the evident nature of this particular story, even if she didn't show up, she would've been taken out because the plot said so. So chalk up yet another example of the great Justice League being completely useless. In yet another rehash of Batman's contingency plans going wrong.

What I find more revealing is, if she was beaten by this thing, it apparently happened off-panel. We don't get to see what cunning trap she fell for, or how she was overpowered or outfought. Because Diana doesn't have a specific, exploitable weakness for Batman or his contingency plans to utilize, so it can only happen off-panel. We just have to take the story's word for it.
    "Yep...he was too smart for her, too. Promise. It happened over there, where you weren't looking."

This even goes back to Tower of Babel where Bruce's big plan for Diana was--on its face--the most convoluted and absurd.
    Like, every other hero's was pretty straight forward. Superman gets a form of Kryptonite. Flash is hit with a vibrating bullet he can't phase through. Green Lantern is blinded so he can't form constructs. J'onn is set on fire. Et cetera.

Diana? Shoot her with a nano-chip that lodges in her brain and makes her think she's fighting an unbeatable opponent, thus her competitive nature will make her overexert herself, have a heart attack, and die.
    That one really feels like up till dawn, sixth cup of coffee, trying to figure out something clever for Wonder Woman, then Bruce just threw his hands up and said, "Screw it! That's all I got!"

It would be cool if writers actually incorporated that into the canon. If Bruce must be a paranoid ass-hat who obsessively plans the torture and humiliation of his "friends," it would actually be cool if Diana was the one ally he can't come up with anything for because she doesn't have a specific weakness he can exploit. Make something out of that?

But that will never happen. That would suggest she's on equal footing with her peers, and we dare not suggest the almighty Bat can't out-think anyone and everyone...much less Wonder Woman.
    Geoff Johns actually wrote that into his JL run.

I really thought both Tower of Babel and the movie adaptation Justice League: Doom really punted with WW. They both recognized that WW had no real exploitable weakness so they just came up with something silly. I mean, if the solution requires shooting Wonder Woman or scratching her with razor sharp claws, then might as well just shoot her or scratch her with a stronger weapon. Or considering how hard it is to tag WW, I'd argue that plan applies to most anyone.

also the old Superfriends had the weird prohibition against direct combat, so super-strength... only got shown by throwing stuff around. Which is why Aquaman got pigeon-holed as "guy who talks to fish". He didn't ever actually fight anyone. And WW gets to be "girl with lasso".

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    also the old Superfriends had the weird prohibition against direct combat, so super-strength... only got shown by throwing stuff around. Which is why Aquaman got pigeon-holed as "guy who talks to fish". He didn't ever actually fight anyone. And WW gets to be "girl with lasso".
    Except one can easily tell that Superman is shown as much stronger in it than Wonder Woman is shown, so that is not the reason.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Except one can easily tell that Superman is shown as much stronger in it than Wonder Woman is shown, so that is not the reason.
    Ah, but, what else does Superman do? See, THAT was the thing, each Superfriend.. got stuck with a shtick, and rarely did anything else. Superman was the "most powerful", Batman was the "smart guy".. etc....

I am surprised that the Super Friends have not been modernized/revamped/revived in animated show form yet (unless I somehow missed it) or even a movie. Even the Superpets movie did decent-ish box office; I can definitely see a Super Friends film working.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Very true.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it been shown on multiple occasions that Diana can be beaten with knockout gas? I know you've mentioned that on your blog. If that's still a thing, why bother with the "nano-chip" nonsense?