Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445051525354555657 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Very true.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't it been shown on multiple occasions that Diana can be beaten with knockout gas? I know you've mentioned that on your blog. If that's still a thing, why bother with the "nano-chip" nonsense?
    Valid point.

The elaborate contingency plans seem pretty unnecessary--not just for Diana but the others--when we routinely see them wiped out by the most mundane of things. Considering any given issue of Justice League will have half the team flattened by a villain's sneeze and the other half tripping over themselves, I think Bruce might be overthinking things.

Batman: "If the League went rogue, who could possibly stop them? What could anyone do?"

(two issues earlier, Deathstroke single-handedly wipes the floor with the entire team)

Batman: "Certainly, the LEAGUE is the greatest threat to this planet! Someone MUST keep them under watch!"

(next issue, the Riddler hypnotizes the League into a coma and runs off with their cash)

Batman: "My plans are a necessary evil. I specially tailored each one to exploit their weaknesses, because that's the only defense we have against them."

(three issues later, a stray cat leaves the entire League in traction)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Valid point.

The elaborate contingency plans seem pretty unnecessary--not just for Diana but the others--when we routinely see them wiped out by the most mundane of things. Considering any given issue of Justice League will have half the team flattened by a villain's sneeze and the other half tripping over themselves, I think Bruce might be overthinking things.

Batman: "If the League went rogue, who could possibly stop them? What could anyone do?"

(two issues earlier, Deathstroke single-handedly wipes the floor with the entire team)

Batman: "Certainly, the LEAGUE is the greatest threat to this planet! Someone MUST keep them under watch!"

(next issue, the Riddler hypnotizes the League into a coma and runs off with their cash)

Batman: "My plans are a necessary evil. I specially tailored each one to exploit their weaknesses, because that's the only defense we have against them."

(three issues later, a stray cat leaves the entire League in traction)
    Exactly.

Plus it raises the question of "if Batman can devise specific plans to beat every superhero, then why can't he do the same thing for the villains?"

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I am surprised that the Super Friends have not been modernized/revamped/revived in animated show form yet (unless I somehow missed it) or even a movie. Even the Superpets movie did decent-ish box office; I can definitely see a Super Friends film working.
    Especially when there's already a perfect Super Friends-inspired story waiting to be adapted - Alex Ross' Justice.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It doesn't make sense. Those writers can do a research for shazam or ba to know their powers. Yet can't do that for WW? Face it. They probably know what her powers are. And how powerful she is meant to be. They don't want to show t because they are bias and very likely sexist. Also Wonder Woman was created to be an equal to Superman. And Supergirl at no point in time had the impact and pop culture icon status that WW has had.
    When you first look at Captain Marvel, what's the first thing you think? Superman. Not much research involved. I didn't mean pop culture. I meant strength-wise. Want to mention that Diana was never meant to be Superman's equal. She was created to be BETTER than Superman. Wise AS Athena, Beautiful AS Aphrodite, Stronger THAN Hercules, and Swifter THAN Mercury, wasn't something that Marston created because it sounded cool.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 11-02-2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: stuff added.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I am surprised that the Super Friends have not been modernized/revamped/revived in animated show form yet (unless I somehow missed it) or even a movie. Even the Superpets movie did decent-ish box office; I can definitely see a Super Friends film working.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLA_Ad...d_in_Time#Plot

It doesn't make sense. Those writers can do a research for shazam or ba to know their powers. Yet can't do that for WW? Face it. They probably know what her powers are. And how powerful she is meant to be. They don't want to show t because they are bias and very likely sexist. Also Wonder Woman was created to be an equal to Superman. And Supergirl at no point in time had the impact and pop culture icon status that WW has had.
    I actually think they don't know what WW's power level is supposed to be because they don't do the research and would rather just come up with some idea instead of going back to the source. Of course, if 80% of writers don't know what WW's power level is supposed to be, then maybe what it's supposed to be is a fluid definition.

Oh could argue that the entire DCAU was an attempt at doing this. OK, not THAT similar really, at least in tone, but.... It used a lot of the old material even when it didn't need to.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I actually think they don't know what WW's power level is supposed to be because they don't do the research and would rather just come up with some idea instead of going back to the source. Of course, if 80% of writers don't know what WW's power level is supposed to be, then maybe what it's supposed to be is a fluid definition.
    Yet many of those same writers did research for shazam, mary, black adam. Characters far less known that aren't even iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Oh could argue that the entire DCAU was an attempt at doing this. OK, not THAT similar really, at least in tone, but.... It used a lot of the old material even when it didn't need to.
    I never thought of the DCAU as a Superfriends Redux...but the thought actually makes sense. In a way, the DCAU became a SuperFriends iteration with how popular and beloved it was (and still is, IMO).

I never thought of the DCAU as a Superfriends Redux...but the thought actually makes sense. In a way, the DCAU became a SuperFriends iteration with how popular and beloved it was (and still is, IMO).
    It had similar themes with a hero team vs a villain team, a lot of the same heroes and villains too.

Yet many of those same writers did research for shazam, mary, black adam. Characters far less known that aren't even iconic.
    I have seen a lot of anti-Wonder Woman comments on other sites in the past. I don't know if this is from the tv show, the comics or misinformation of Diana and Wonder Woman in general.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I have seen a lot of anti-Wonder Woman comments on other sites in the past. I don't know if this is from the tv show, the comics or misinformation of Diana and Wonder Woman in general.
    The industry and fandom is full of sexist and insecure men. They also hate carol danvers, since she started to get a push in the comics, beating ironman, fighting thor. And being introduced as the strongest in the mcu. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yes, I am not arguing that point.

But I think there is more to it too, almost like a prejudice against certain female characters but not others. Supergirl, Mary Marvel and Power Girl rarely have these strength/power problems, especially not to this degree. At Marvel,, Jean Grey is barely perceived as a mutant with some thinking she needs a head-band to use her powers, said to be boring, and the weakest on the team while the other female X-characters are all seen as strong, heroic, powerful and interesting.

People thinking Wonder Woman is weak just because she has a lasso, bracelets and an invisible jet makes no sense.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

The Lauren Montgomery animated Wonder Woman movie is an interesting case study. It came off the heels of Justice League Unlimited, and it was co-written by Gail Simone. Still, that movie has a WW that doesn't fly. This movie, and a handful of other things, make me wonder if creators come in with a pre-conceived notion of WW in mind and just go with their vision.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The Lauren Montgomery animated Wonder Woman movie is an interesting case study. It came off the heels of Justice League Unlimited, and it was co-written by Gail Simone. Still, that movie has a WW that doesn't fly. This movie, and a handful of other things, make me wonder if creators come in with a pre-conceived notion of WW in mind and just go with their vision.
    I think there is truth to this. Too many creators approach Wonder Woman with this idea of what they think she should be regardless of what's been established, accepted, or sometimes even intended by her own damn creator.

I recall, when asked why she didn't fly in the animated movie, Michael Jelenic--the actual screenwriter--just shrugged and said, "Maybe she'll fly in the next one." Back when Joss Whedon was going to make the movie, he declared outright she wouldn't fly because (his words): "We already have a guy who can fly."

It is frustrating how many creators seem to approach Wonder Woman's powers as "optional."
    If someone made a Superman movie or show or anything where he couldn't fly or wasn't the most powerful man in the room, there would be a revolt. It would be unfathomable...or at least understood this is a radically different take on the character.

Wonder Woman's powers, though? Eh...maybe she can fly, maybe she can't. Or maybe she will, but not now. She's strong, but not really that strong. Or maybe she is. Does she even need powers at all? What do you mean she's fast?

It's crazy that even the dismissive "she's just a female Superman" description doesn't register to them that she should at least be really powerful.