Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Post New 52 Jumping Off Point?

I’m attempting to get back into DC and could use some help deciding where to jump back in buying the trades from.

I read loads of DC pre-new 52, stuck with new 52 for about a year but wasn’t really enjoying it. I’ve dipped my toe back in from time to time in an attempt to at least keep an eye on what’s going on but now I’m trying to properly get back into reading the books I don’t know where to start. Usually I’d just go from new 52 beginning and work my way forward but knowing that I didn’t enjoy those initial books makes me think I should find another point.

Would it be something like working from DC Rebirth onwards maybe? Which books have been considered great the past few years?

Incredible Member

I would personally just jump to DC Rebirth.

Priest's Deathstroke run is pretty awesome.

So you are only interest in recomendations for DC Rebirth or do you also accept current books?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So you are only interest in recomendations for DC Rebirth or do you also accept current books?
    Oh yeah I only meant DC Rebirth as a potential jumping off point, not just reading Rebirth stuff so recommend away.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nightwing #78 is the only one I know that's free of hassle. They reference past events, but the main focus is on the present, while also have enough reintroduction to the character's childhood, first meeting, important milestones, that it's very new/lapsed reader friendly.

The current Swamp Thing is all new right? I haven't checked.

Oh yeah the current Crime Syndicate is all new too. They basically killed off the previous team and reset the whole Earth-3
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-05-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Check out Wonder Woman 770 and 771 (this new creative team just started last month). It's one of the easiest jumping off points from all comics DC is publishing right now and it's so freaking fun and cool. I get that most people aren't that interested in Wonder Woman comics, but this one rocks. The new Yara Flor book called Wonder Girl starts this month and it should also be great if you are open to new characters. Her Future State book had the best reception out of all the books (along with Swamp Thing) and the same writer is gonna continue the Wonder Girl book.

Aside from that, Superman Rebirth re energized his stories with the introduction of Jon Kent as a kid. It's probably one of the most confusing continuity books tho because the story starts with Clark Kent from Post Crisis living in the same world as New 52 Superman and eventually replacing him.

Batman rebirth by Tom King is very controversial but I really liked it until issue 54. Super Sons is also a fun read if you want something light. I heard people raving about Hawkman volume 5 by Robert Venditti and it seems to be the most acclaimed out of all the books, but I myself haven't read it.

Main stuff I've enjoyed the past few years;

Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern is pretty good. It's recently finished and trades for it's final stuff should be out this year.

Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman Rebirth. Collected in about four trades.

Tynion/Ram V Justice League Dark that started up in 2018.

OH, read "Superman's pal, Jimmy Olsen" by Matt Fraction. It's soooo good.

Thanks guys, that’s given me some stuff to check out.

Spectacular Member

Superman and the 2 Green Lantern books from rebirth are both great.

The current Flash title is at a good jumping on point if you are a Wally West fan. It’s two issues into the current arc.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The current Flash title is at a good jumping on point if you are a Wally West fan. It’s two issues into the current arc.
    That’s good to hear. I’ve followed enough to know that he hasn’t faired too well since he came back.

I do have to laugh though, I get you guys to give me all these new recommendations then the first DC book I buy is Batman No Man’s Land vol.2 ��

Quote Originally Posted by Happenstance View Post
    I do have to laugh though, I get you guys to give me all these new recommendations then the first DC book I buy is Batman No Man’s Land vol.2 ��
    ouch. Well good for you

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Happenstance View Post
    We can recommend better if you let us know what you like. Is No Man's Land the type of story you like? Gritty? Batman?