Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Does that mean Bendis is relaunching the book? Or is he just plugging the fact that there's plans for Saturn Girl to show up in Superman: Son of Kal-El?
    Don’t know if he’s relaunching but it’s definitely the LoSH returning in some form.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why does continuity matter that much? I think "emotional continuity" is more important. Knowing that the characters have experienced all the periods we saw them experience, in one way or another. What does it matter which villain first united the Justice League? Heck, the last reboot ruined the Young Justice generation. They are stuck in the same place they were in 10 years ago when they had a perfect chance to grow into new roles.
    It really doesn't for me, not anymore. I'd also be all for just abandoning continuity and telling whatever type of story any single creative team for any single title feels like telling at the time. But that doesn't seem to be anything they ever remotely consider. They still profess and build upon a platform of continuity. And if they're already planning another Crisis, that suggests that they're still in the business of trying to "fix" things. As long as they care so much to that point, it would seem logical to me that it be as cohesive and foundationally sturdy as possible.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-06-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It really doesn't for me, not anymore. I'd also be all for just abandoning continuity and telling whatever type of story any single creative team for any single title feels like telling at the time. But that doesn't seem to be anything they ever remotely consider. They still profess and build upon a platform of continuity. And if they're already planning another Crisis, that suggests that they're still in the business of trying to "fix" things. As long as they care so much to that point, it would seem logical to me that it be as cohesive and foundationally sturdy as possible.
    Wonder if they’ll pick a new origin to be “canon” for Supes since none of them are canon as they happened
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wonder if they’ll pick a new origin to be “canon” for Supes since none of them are canon as they happened
    Aren't they all just versions of the first page from Morrison's All-Star Superman?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Why does continuity matter that much? I think "emotional continuity" is more important. Knowing that the characters have experienced all the periods we saw them experience, in one way or another. What does it matter which villain first united the Justice League? Heck, the last reboot ruined the Young Justice generation. They are stuck in the same place they were in 10 years ago when they had a perfect chance to grow into new roles.
    I 100% agree with your comment about "emotional continuity." Good term. It's like when a character is adapted into tv or film - we still want to "feel" like they're the same character, regardless of the specifics of their origin or costume, etc.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Depends on who's in charge. Seriously. If Johns still holds sway the way he used to, it will be his origin over anything else. Which means even if someone has a better idea. don't count on it getting through. If DC management is anything like it used to be, it's who you know, not who has the best idea.
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

It can be a weapon to exclude folks. Who those folks are vary.

We can't have a JL formed by Arrow, Black Lightning, Martian Manhunter, Booster, WW, Ted Kord and Al Bundy-it has to be Superman and friends.

We can't say 5 GL rings went hunting for owners and somehow got Hal, John, Guy, Jessica and Kyle all at once.

As for a full reboot-which is WHAT they have tried to avoid. It's just that a full reboot that means you can do whatever you WANT.

Val Zod crashes on Earth in Wakanda before Clark hits Smallville and shows up first-reboot lets you do that.

Batman's second Robin was Duke after Dick Grayson and he became Signal and Jason took over-SURE.

Open that door for a bigger mess.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I think the issue is more that it's constantly a thing for DC. If they just picked a stance on it and stuck with that I'm sure it wouldn't be so much of an issue. But this constant need to have big events and to address the state of the continuity is exhausting.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    That is what I thought Final Crisis was supposed to be. What with it being "final" and all that.
    I still don't understand why it was called Final Crisis. As far as I can tell the story didn't really have anything to do with COIE or IC, and wasn't really final in any sense that was obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I still don't understand why it was called Final Crisis. As far as I can tell the story didn't really have anything to do with COIE or IC, and wasn't really final in any sense that was obvious to me.
    I know, right? It is ridiculous.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

The idea of 'Final Crisis' or 'no more Crisis, ever!' are kinda ludicrous if you think about it.

Crisis on Infinite Earths is as much of an IP as any other title at DC by now.
    The '80s series broke ground and has been influential ever since.
    It had deep roots in the JLA and JSA cross-overs, which had been going on since the early '60s.
    There's no way DC would never revisit it and the multiverse. It's as much a part of DC as Batman or Superman.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

I know a recent issue of the flash had Wally talking to Gold Beetle in the future and she told him he had 5 more crisises to go through before he retires so there's a good chance there's going to be MORE crisis events beyond the ones mentioned in the bleeding cool article

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    What we would even do if we didn't get a new story about continuity every year. I guess someone went mad after remembering his entire history and now wants to destroy the omniverse?
    Darkseid seemed a bit mad:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Darkseid seemed a bit mad:

Darkseid was always mad.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Darkseid was always mad.
    Yeah, that's because Darkseid is...a grump.