Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think it is still important that the fight scenes are not breaking the suspense of disbelieve, but I think that apparat from the build of the actress also the fight choreography plays a role here.
    Yes, I agree. Generally a smaller, lighter person needs to fighter smarter when it comes to hand to hand, and that should be shown in the fight choreography. I think sometimes the choreographer just ignores the relative sizes and strengths of opponents, leading a smaller combatant effortlessly blocking blows by someone obviously much larger and stronger, which can look unconvincing. Sword-fighting, on the other hand, is going to rely far less on strength than speed, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I love the casting and I hope this ushers in a new wave of Sword & Sorcery action films.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    the ability to reflect what was witnessed and channel these impulses in a civilized manner. i´d call it conscious sublimation of primitive urges. just like in sports for example.
    if these urges are constantly suppressed due to social movements(pressure), i am sure it will have an ill effect on society
    I don't think we're anywhere near that, but we as a culture still have to determine how these impulses are expressed in a "civilized manner." It's the social constructions we create from them, which can take many forms. We are constantly negotiating what we consider a healthy way to express those impulses in a way that doesn't result in anyone else being marginalized or exploited, etc. which is the kind of civilization most people want, even if people disagree on how to achieve it. Like with most things though, it's about balance, I would think.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think it is still important that the fight scenes are not breaking the suspense of disbelieve, but I think that apparat from the build of the actress also the fight choreography plays a role here.
    I think part of the problem is the excessive actions taken my male co-stars to show their "fitness" goes beyond what's actually realistic, so audiences may have a warped impression of what breaks suspension of disbelief

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't think we're anywhere near that, but we as a culture still have to determine how these impulses are expressed in a "civilized manner." It's the social constructions we create from them, which can take many forms. We are constantly negotiating what we consider a healthy way to express those impulses in a way that doesn't result in anyone else being marginalized or exploited, etc. which is the kind of civilization most people want, even if people disagree on how to achieve it. Like with most things though, it's about balance, I would think.
    The problem is historically what was considered "civilized" was really "whatever benefits the hierarchy," in this case the patriarchy. Rejecting that and creating a more equitable idea of "civilized" isn't somehow a new form of oppression.

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    I thought his first leading role was Hercules in the 1970 released movie Hercules in New York
    I thought Hercules in the 1970 was his supporting role. That was the one title I referred to when I said "He only starred in one film prior to the Conan movie". Pumping Iron doesn't count

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    She has the piercing eyes. If they don't dye her hair or give her a wig they're just setting her up for controversy.
    She's very pretty

Her Norwegian mother is a former fashion model
    Her Nigerian father is a forensic psychologist

I think that she would look great with fiery auburn hair
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

GAIL SIMONE CONFIRMS INVOLVEMENT IN MILLENIUM’S ‘RED SONJA’ FILM

There’s a vote of confidence right there! Of course, the movie could still suck as Geoff Johns did consult on the GL film and it still didn’t help it but this is a positive sign they’re willing to get this right.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 05-08-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    GAIL SIMONE CONFIRMS INVOLVEMENT IN MILLENIUM’S ‘RED SONJA’ FILM

There’s a vote of confidence right there! Of course, the movie could still suck as Geoff Johns did consult on the GL film and it still didn’t help it but this is a positive sign they’re willing to get this right.
    Take it with a grain of salt. It will have dark&below the waist humor then? I would say I'm a fan of Gail Simone's writing but not her run on Red Sonja.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Sonja has always been pretty much "Conan with boobs" no matter who was writing her. I suspect that the rights owners require it.

It would be nice to see her break free of that... she has a lot of potential besides eye candy. Same with Barbarella.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Sonja has always been pretty much "Conan with boobs" no matter who was writing her. I suspect that the rights owners require it.

It would be nice to see her break free of that... she has a lot of potential besides eye candy. Same with Barbarella.
    There was going to be a Barbarella remake some years ago but it never got out of "development hell".

Extraordinary Member

‘Red Sonja’: Matilda Lutz to Star in Millennium’s Sword and Sorcery Feature
    Millennium Media has begun filming on the long-gestating sword and sorcery feature Red Sonja, adapted from the comic book series and starring Matilda Lutz as Red Sonja.

The ensemble cast also includes Wallis Day, Robert Sheehan as Draygan, Michael Bisping as Hawk, Martyn Ford as General Karlak and Eliza Matengu as Amarak. M.J. Bassett will direct the movie after Joey Soloway was initially set to helm the project, and Soloway will get an executive producer credit.

And Hannah John Kamen was to have played the lead role of Red Sonja but has stepped aside due to scheduling conflicts. The film is being produced initially at the Bulgarian Nu Boyana Studio, with additional shoots set for Greece.