Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    But didn't we just get a Tarzan movie with a dude running around in a speedo? lol. How did bikinis become so controversial? It's weird how male nudity is so much more accepted in this society.
    Bikinis are the issue because 90% of people in the fiction will be wearing clothes and armor. She will be in Bikini armor for no good reason other than to be sexy which is fine if that is intent of characters personality.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Hope for the best but I don’t have much expectations either way.
    Haha, it could be better than the original, but that's not a high bar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That would be for the best. (Unlike Lara Croft, I'm honestly not sure the original look can be "reclaimed," "justified," or however you want to put it.)
    I mean, it's still used for the comic Red Sonja so I'm not sure if there's really any need to "reclaim" it. It's still a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Bikinis are the issue because 90% of people in the fiction will be wearing clothes and armor. She will be in Bikini armor for no good reason other than to be sexy which is fine if that is intent of characters personality.
    Well, yeah, I mean that's kind of always been Red Sonja's deal. She's not known for modesty .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It isn't. Male nudity in film and t.v. is still far less common. Look at the controversy over Chris Pine showing his penis in Outlaw King.
    I dunno from Watchmen to Lovecraft country there seems to be a lot out there. Even Altered Carbon had a dude full frontal. Seems to be way more male nudity. I haven't heard about the Pine thing but if he can do that an iron bikini shouldn't be a problem. They even showed bat schlong in a recent comic...
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 05-05-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because for years men controlled most of the film industry and portrayed women in sexualized ways, while men in minimal clothing were always just showing off muscles
    I guess it's open to debate whether showing off muscles can be seen as sexual. Depends on who's looking I guess.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yeah she always has had that facet of her personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, it's still used for the comic Red Sonja so I'm not sure if there's really any need to "reclaim" it. It's still a thing.
    But should it still be a thing?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fantastic Member

What a pleasant surprise, hope they don't change the costume. Amy Chu had a pretty good run on Sonja a few years back. Maybe they'll base it off that.
    for me it's the other way around: let's hope the get rid of it

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because for years men controlled most of the film industry and portrayed women in sexualized ways, while men in minimal clothing were always just showing off muscles
    Bingo...i wouldnt just put it on the Film industry, its a society problem as a whole.
    That still seems to be thing that many dont realize.

We still have people arguing that women who get raped "asked for it" because of what they wear.
    We still have schools that punish girls for showing the tiniest bit of skin etc.

It will be interesting to see what they do with this movie in terms of Sonjas look.

Ultimate Member

But didn't we just get a Tarzan movie with a dude running around in a speedo? lol. How did bikinis become so controversial? It's weird how male nudity is so much more accepted in this society.
    It's less to do with it being a bikini or showing skin, and more to do with the fact that it's chainmail which would be uncomfortable for a woman to actually wear. Coupled with the fact that the whole point of chainmail is to protect the wearer, yet it's designed in such a way that doesn't protect anything just calls attention to the fact that her look is illogical. It's fine for comics, but it wouldn't work to have a real person walking around like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Jessica Biel was the only one that would have interested me.
    Is she a good actress? She went from being a promising young actress to be known as the wife of Justin Timberlake.

Astonishing Member

I play the party pooper on that.

I guess it will be all wire action, fast cuts where you cannot see anything going on and the wrong kind of music for a movie like that. Then they decide to make it a funny movie, like Marvel does and try to be as lgtb and feministic as possible. The actress will not show any muscles, instead she is just thin with a sword that she couldn't even handle with arms like a tooth pick. And everything around her is made of bad cgi, not even a real landscape seen, because it would be too hard to visit real places in the world and film them.

I wish for an Arnold Conan movie experience, just with Red Sonja in it and not a bomb like Conan (Ralf Möller or Jason Momoa). I want them to kill, swear and ****.

Ah, a guy can dream

Oh, i forgot, there will be slow motion, lots of slow motion and computer generated blood, that looks like Heinz Ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sounds like a decent casting choice. Wonder how they're going to handle the bikini question.
    I can easily imagine the chainmail bikini popping up if they wanted. I mean, if Star Wars was able to get Leia into a metal bikini for one sequence...

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Is she a good actress? She went from being a promising young actress to be known as the wife of Justin Timberlake.
    She's a good actress. She's no Kate Hepburn, but this is Red Sonja, not The Lion in Winter. She has the exact look that I've always imagined Sonja having. She's athletic and she has experience in action roles (The A-Team, Total Recall). And she's good at the glowering, no-nonsense attitude.

Ultimate Member

I guess it's open to debate whether showing off muscles can be seen as sexual. Depends on who's looking I guess.
    It can be. But women are rarely shown as "sexy" for being fit or actual able to stuff, versus just being ogled at, whereas men are shown as "sexy" for both.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    Bingo...i wouldnt just put it on the Film industry, its a society problem as a whole.
    That still seems to be thing that many dont realize.

We still have people arguing that women who get raped "asked for it" because of what they wear.
    We still have schools that punish girls for showing the tiniest bit of skin etc.

It will be interesting to see what they do with this movie in terms of Sonjas look.
    Ugh, that attitude is gross. Women are sexualized, then punished for it! It's like the patriarchy can't make up it's mind.

I suspect they'll probably give her a regular costume