Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    "Darkskinned"? She's literally whitepassing.
    I guess "dark-skinned" means not totally of European descent

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i am so confused. in the past, religious nutters went against body exposure and sexual depictions. now it seems the cultural inquisition has been taken over by the so called left. it´d rather call them livestyle-left. they take the moral highground to make themselves feel better. what is wrong with blood, gore and sex in escapism? i am sure educated citizens can cope with that.
    spartacus was a massive hit in dvd sales and streaming. there is a market
    Those religious groups didn't care about respecting women, just controlling them. It's not a "both sides" thing

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Why do I get the feeling this will be another fantasy adaptation with the generic British accent. Not trying to hate, I've just noticed it's the default for fantasy regardless of what cultures inspired a setting.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

i am so confused. in the past, religious nutters went against body exposure and sexual depictions. now it seems the cultural inquisition has been taken over by the so called left. it´d rather call them livestyle-left. they take the moral highground to make themselves feel better. what is wrong with blood, gore and sex in escapism? i am sure educated citizens can cope with that.
    Idk, "the left" was praising W.A.P. and that was very oversexualized. I guess it's case by case.

Do you think Disney will make something actually gory or filled with sex though? I know Marvel has Deadpool but that was under Fox.

I know it's convenient to reduce a complex issue and large swaths of people with different opinions into one easy to dismiss term, but if you're actually asking the question in a non-rhetorical way, those kind of terms are not the best way to get to a real answer or understanding of the issue, imo. I will offer though, that a lot of these "educated citizens" are actually getting a lot of their education from their escapism. What then?

Ultimate Member

Why do I get the feeling this will be another fantasy adaptation with the generic British accent. Not trying to hate, I've just noticed it's the default for fantasy regardless of what cultures inspired a setting.
    At least she's actually from England. None of that Mera nonsense!

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    At least she's actually from England. None of that Mera nonsense!

Fake accent or no, it would be nice if they could at least try something closer to the cultures they took inspiration from.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Almost every time there's fan uproar about the casting of a female comic book character, at least one (if not both) of these complaints gets mentioned in some way, shape or form:

1.) not white enough (sometimes under the guise of "what does Hollywood have against redheads?")

2.) wrong build (usually code for "boobs aren't big enough")
    I'm not sure how valid that observation is.

I saw lots of criticism for the casting of Storm both times, for not being dark-skinned enough or imposing enough. And there was plenty of fuss over Blu Hunt not looking traditionally Native American enough, and Alice Braga being too white.

Generally people complain about actors not looking enough like their comic-book counterparts, until said actor proves the naysayers wrong. There was plenty of criticism of Jackman being too tall, before he proved to be the best thing in X-Men; and huge amounts of ire directed at Daniel Craig for not fitting the general 'Bond' model. For the most part male super-heroes are tall and totally ripped, and if they appear short or not muscular people complain. It's easier, though, for men to transform to something closer to the comics via working out, strategic padding, and careful casting/placing of the camera to make them look taller; it's much more difficult for women, for whom there is a much larger range of body-types, especially as most artists only draw the one idealised figure: tall, curvy, and with zero body fat. The usual complaint I see for action-females is that they don't look strong enough, and though I don't usually feel that criticism is valid bearing in mind it's supposed to be a fantasy anyway, I'm not sure that it always code for not being busty enough.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I know it's convenient to reduce a complex issue and large swaths of people with different opinions into one easy to dismiss term, but if you're actually asking the question in a non-rhetorical way, those kind of terms are not the best way to get to a real answer or understanding of the issue, imo. I will offer though, that a lot of these "educated citizens" are actually getting a lot of their education from their escapism. What then?
    the ability to reflect what was witnessed and channel these impulses in a civilized manner. i´d call it conscious sublimation of primitive urges. just like in sports for example.
    if these urges are constantly suppressed due to social movements(pressure), i am sure it will have an ill effect on society
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

does anyone even know what a Hyborean accent sounds like? lol.

I will not wade into the wardrobe wars that are sure to happen, online.

I hope that the story has plenty of action, enough to justify a sequel. I'm not hung up on PG-13 vs. R. I doubt the budget will be in the $100 million range, though.

The villain probably doesn't matter much, in terms of the actor or the character. But hopefully the portrayal is entertaining.

Ultimate Member

Fake accent or no, it would be nice if they could at least try something closer to the cultures they took inspiration from.
    What culture is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I'm not sure how valid that observation is.

I saw lots of criticism for the casting of Storm both times, for not being dark-skinned enough or imposing enough. And there was plenty of fuss over Blu Hunt not looking traditionally Native American enough, and Alice Braga being too white.

Generally people complain about actors not looking enough like their comic-book counterparts, until said actor proves the naysayers wrong. There was plenty of criticism of Jackman being too tall, before he proved to be the best thing in X-Men; and huge amounts of ire directed at Daniel Craig for not fitting the general 'Bond' model. For the most part male super-heroes are tall and totally ripped, and if they appear short or not muscular people complain. It's easier, though, for men to transform to something closer to the comics via working out, strategic padding, and careful casting/placing of the camera to make them look taller; it's much more difficult for women, for whom there is a much larger range of body-types, especially as most artists only draw the one idealised figure: tall, curvy, and with zero body fat. The usual complaint I see for action-females is that they don't look strong enough, and though I don't usually feel that criticism is valid bearing in mind it's supposed to be a fantasy anyway, I'm not sure that it always code for not being busty enough.
    There's a difference between criticizing the adaptation for being regressive, and for not being regressive enough. And the idealized bodies of both sexes have mostly been drawn by men, not women

the ability to reflect what was witnessed and channel these impulses in a civilized manner. i´d call it conscious sublimation of primitive urges. just like in sports for example.
    if these urges are constantly suppressed due to social movements(pressure), i am sure it will have an ill effect on society
    No offense, but what are you even on about?

What culture is it?

Eastern Europe

No offense, but what are you even on about?
    bikini bad? boobs bad?
    #post 75 was my entry
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well they casted Hannah John-Kamen to play Sonja. What do you guys think? Is she the wrong choice? I just hope it's good
    HOT! I'm a fan of this casting.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Because it's apparently all about looks and no one has posted a picture yet.

Ultimate Member

Eastern Europe
    They could've cast a Russian actress

bikini bad? boobs bad?
    #post 75 was my entry
    Are you being sarcastic?