Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope she will get in shape for the role.
    Would be the bare minimum effort. Then again WOKE Hollywood might give us a FAT, empowered Red Sonja? Wouldn't that be...something.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    What a pleasant surprise, hope they don't change the costume. Amy Chu had a pretty good run on Sonja a few years back. Maybe they'll base it off that.
    You'd think that the main thing she's known for would be automatically included, but HW is now super-WOKE so lets see how bad they butcher it.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Gail Simone is an advisor on the film as well apparently.
    Interest is steadily diminishing...things getting dark...flatlining...wait, I see a light...Oh hi Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Sounds like a decent casting choice. Wonder how they're going to handle the bikini question.
    Yes, lets agree that it will briefly show up as a joke or gag like Hugh Jackman talking about a "yellow costume".

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't see why people keep wanting to cast her in things just because she has muscles. From what I've seen, she's a bad actress. Get a good actress first and they can hire a trainer. Look at Chris Pratt or Natalie Portman, etc... And if an actress's build is the most important thing, then Rousey is wrong anyway because she doesn't have the cup size to fill out that metal bikini. (which is the wrong way to think, is my point just to be clear)
    Well, Rousey is cute & can get in great shape but Red Sonja is NOT Game of Thrones so maybe, maybe.

To your bikini point, agree. A actor should "fit" their role.

If a sword is her primary method of attack she shouldn't be too bulked-up. I don't think Sonja is about brute strength.

Anyone who is expecting the chainmail bikini is setting themselves up for disappointment. And it's exclusion will have nothing to do with "woke" Hollywood. Comic book adaptations in general don't include revealing outfits like that and there is a correlation between such outfits being included and the movie being bad. See Batman & Robin, X-Men: Apocalypse and the Vampirella movie from the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    If a sword is her primary method of attack she shouldn't be too bulked-up. I don't think Sonja is about brute strength.
    Sonya in the comics isn't very muscular either so I don't see why John-Kamen would need to bulk up so much.

Is there any chance we're getting Red SonYa,

just with the Red SonJa spelling? That's one way to sidestep the bikini issue altogether. I've always wanted to see that version.

Ultimate Member

Manly? No one is asking these women to become bodybuilders for their roles. Getting to the level of a typical athlete is good enough.
    People will still complain. People will complain either way. It's not fair but it happens

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Battle skirt. Hence the WW comparison.
    Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Anyone who is expecting the chainmail bikini is setting themselves up for disappointment. And it's exclusion will have nothing to do with "woke" Hollywood. Comic book adaptations in general don't include revealing outfits like that and there is a correlation between such outfits being included and the movie being bad. See Batman & Robin, X-Men: Apocalypse and the Vampirella movie from the 90s.
    Doesn't stop people whining about how "wokeness" is ruining their precious media

Manly? No one is asking these women to become bodybuilders for their roles. Getting to the level of a typical athlete is good enough.
    Well, Christopher Sleeve built his body and trained his muscles when he was hired to play Superman.

They cast a bodybuilder with very little acting experience into the Conan role. Conan was Arnold Schwarzenegger's first leading role. He only starred in one film prior to the Conan movie.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    People will still complain. People will complain either way. It's not fair but it happens
    And? Who cares?

Ultimate Member

And? Who cares?
    I mean, I don't. But people are already complaining she's not muscular.

Extraordinary Member

Almost every time there's fan uproar about the casting of a female comic book character, at least one (if not both) of these complaints gets mentioned in some way, shape or form:

1.) not white enough (sometimes under the guise of "what does Hollywood have against redheads?")

2.) wrong build (usually code for "boobs aren't big enough")
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Almost every time there's fan uproar about the casting of a female comic book character, at least one (if not both) of these complaints gets mentioned in some way, shape or form:

1.) not white enough (sometimes under the guise of "what does Hollywood have against redheads?")

Both have shown up in this thread already.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Both have shown up in this thread already.
    I haven't seen anyone be disappointed that the actress ain't stacked enough to be the character.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

Exactly. The whole "redheads are being replaced thing" really comes off as basically racist

And God forbid a woman with a different kind of build gets cast!

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What is it with redheads and dark-skinned performers ?

Although in all seriousness I don't see them not dyeing her hair otherwise the name doesn't work.
    "Darkskinned"? She's literally whitepassing.

december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

i am so confused. in the past, religious nutters went against body exposure and sexual depictions. now it seems the cultural inquisition has been taken over by the so called left. it´d rather call them livestyle-left. they take the moral highground to make themselves feel better. what is wrong with blood, gore and sex in escapism? i am sure educated citizens can cope with that.
    spartacus was a massive hit in dvd sales and streaming. there is a market
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.