Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Lynda Carters 'Wonder Woman' Tv show general discussion

Since I am rewatching the Wonder Woman tv series on HBO Max in its HD glory, thought it'd be fun to just have a general place to discuss thoughts on the series.

Just some general background:

• Ran from 1975-1979
    • Classic Bullets and Bracelets origin story
    • Themiscryia is just simply known as Paradise Island
    • All amazons are super strong though
    • Follows Diana from the 1940s & 1970s
    • Violence on tv was not popular at the time so unfortunately the "fights" involve a lot of throwing around
    • Etta Candy stars in S1, Steve Trevor & Steve Trevor jr. in the 1940s and 1970s
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 05-05-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

Since I am rewatching the Wonder Woman tv series on HBO Max in its HD glory, thought it'd be fun to just have a general place to discuss thoughts on the series.

• Ran from 1975-1977
    • Violence on tv was not popular at the time so unfortunately the "fights" involve a lot of throwing around
    • Etta Candy stars in S1, Steve Trevor & Steve Trevor jr. in the 1940s and 1970s
    This show was how I was introduced to Wonder Woman. I remember it well, I was home sick from 1st grade and my mom put it on for me on our little 10 inch portable. I was in love then and there, and it's lasted all these decades. Wonder Woman has been the one consistently bright spot in my life, and for that I will ever love the character and Lynda Carter, who brought her to life in such a memorable and amazing way.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Think it was the show that made the crossed arm bullets and bracelets pose that other WW stuff picked up on, from what I recall at least.

It was a swell show, for its time...

Certainly good enough that the comic has been trying and failing to replicate our good will for it, for some thirty-plus years. Of course, it will never happen. The only way a comic book is ever going to capture the warmth, regality, humor and excitement of Lynda Carter is by playing Diana off of interesting, funny or challenging regular (EVERY issue) characters, like outrageous Etta Candy, plucky Mala and others. That means WW editors need to set a regular cast into place and mandate its use, by writers, until we have an emotional investment in it...are asking for the characters, ..and it becomes classic.

That means, as the characters become more complex and the continuity grows, just as they did on Xena: Warrior Princess or Supergirl, there will probably be more editing to do, on the WW comic. That's where I worry, because the current editors don't seem interested in making anymore work, for themselves. Mandating writers to start over, with a new situation, at the start of every new run, cuts down on the accumulation of characters and reduces continuity-building - saves the editors, some work!

That is why the WW comics will never recreate the charm and humanity of Lynda Carter, on a printed page.

Until that changes, and I hope it does, ..Lynda Carter will continue to be the best thing AND the worst thing that's ever happened to the WW comic.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-05-2021 at 10:35 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

• Ran from 1975-1977
    The show ran until 1979.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Since we're getting close to the show's 50th anniversary I'm hoping for an animated movie.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Since we're getting close to the show's 50th anniversary I'm hoping for an animated movie.
    That’d be fun. Kind of like they did for Batman ‘66. They’d get to use villains they never could in the show.

I loved and wish that they'd kept the skirt, it was such a good look.

There are a lot of fun 2parters in S1, the Drusilla introduction/Nazis attacking Paradise Island, WW vs. Krypton like Aliens. She's able to replicate others voices, heal from poisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    When West was still alive, I was hoping they'd do an animated team-up with Wonder Woman like the comics did.

Incredible Member

I never realized there were two skirt designs until now! I liked them both. Never have in the comics, but Lynda really pulls it off.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I like how the show was self contained in the sense we didn't have to see guest superheroes. So the powers she had wasn't really an issue and because special effects in the 70's wasn't going to make flying look very good, even if it was on air currents.

Wonder Woman was the only superhero in the TV world, but the writers should have come up with better opponents even if they couldn't use her rogues gallery.

When the Nazis invade Paradise Island..even though it was hard to not roll my eyes at the Amazons being taken out so quickly by tear gas, i did love when they tried to physically attack the Amazons and the amazons just threw them into the water and laughed at "oh, they are so cute". The bracelets metal having a distinct name "Feminum"...even though its a bit on the head, I could get used to it being incorporated into the comics/future WW media.

What are everyone's thoughts about the two main costumes? I actually prefer the season 1 costume to the one used for the 70s era, yet its the 70s era costume that I see depicted more often in other media and often wonder why.

When the Nazis invade Paradise Island..even though it was hard to not roll my eyes at the Amazons being taken out so quickly by tear gas, i did love when they tried to physically attack the Amazons and the amazons just threw them into the water and laughed at "oh, they are so cute". The bracelets metal having a distinct name "Feminum"...even though its a bit on the head, I could get used to it being incorporated into the comics/future WW media.
    The fact that the Amazons find it hard to take them seriously is such a joy in those episodes. The modern takes on the Amazons are a lot more grim and/or dour in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    What are everyone's thoughts about the two main costumes? I actually prefer the season 1 costume to the one used for the 70s era, yet its the 70s era costume that I see depicted more often in other media and often wonder why.
    The S1 costume is definitely superior imo but S2-3 costume was made out of better material. I love me a good emblem so the S2 one was ugly as hell. Though the bracelets were definitely better in S2-3 than S1.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    The fact that the Amazons find it hard to take them seriously is such a joy in those episodes. The modern takes on the Amazons are a lot more grim and/or dour in comparison.
    It's definitely refreshing to see a lighter version of the Amazons again.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 05-06-2021 at 09:38 AM.