Mighty Member

Default Agent Kallus Star Wars: Rebels

I love this character. I love that starting with the episode where he and Zeb have to work together to get out of the cave that he turns to fighting for the rebellion. I just watched episode 10 where he tells Ezra and Canan that he has to make their escape look convincing and then gets smashed against the wall. I LOL'D. He doesn't get killed towards the end does he? Hope he sticks around through season 4.

Kallus is an interesting character, although he exhibits a sort of cliché about Disney Star Wars that I've ranted about a few times on this board . Heck even Bad Batch pretty much just did it too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kallus is an interesting character, although he exhibits a sort of cliché about Disney Star Wars that I've ranted about a few times on this board . Heck even Bad Batch pretty much just did it too.
    "Loyal Imperial who realizes the Empire is bad and jumps ship?"

It has happened a lot lately.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The only one I remember recently is Mayfield. Who is the other one in the Bad Batch? Are you talking about Clone Force 99?

iMan 42s

You ever wonder if it's like a mandate from Lucasfilm or something? While I can't confirm it supposedly they did where if any game has a dark side ending or the ability to choose a decision the light side decision or ending was the canonical one. Potentially something like that exists for Imperial characters where if someone we're following is Imperial they are required to jump ship. I actually can't think of any character who outside examples where we know they have to make the bad decision do.

I would appreciate it should we ever get a story or series that follows through on that. I'm half expecting that it will even happen with Acolyte since from experience with The Force Unleashed they're not going to leave well enough alone and the character will turn good even if they get killed off.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    You ever wonder if it's like a mandate from Lucasfilm or something? While I can't confirm it supposedly they did where if any game has a dark side ending or the ability to choose a decision the light side decision or ending was the canonical one. Potentially something like that exists for Imperial characters where if someone we're following is Imperial they are required to jump ship. I actually can't think of any character who outside examples where we know they have to make the bad decision do.

I would appreciate it should we ever get a story or series that follows through on that. I'm half expecting that it will even happen with Acolyte since from experience with The Force Unleashed they're not going to leave well enough alone and the character will turn good even if they get killed off.
    I haven't played Squadrons, but other than the beginning I don't think there are any Imperial defections in the Imperial playthrough (or canon issues).

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I haven't played Squadrons, but other than the beginning I don't think there are any Imperial defections in the Imperial playthrough (or canon issues).
    While nobody on Titan Squadron defects, Lindon Javes defects in the first level so I count it. Lindon Javes is also fought later on and while the end of the Imperial story has you shoot him down, blow up his fighter, it's wreckage slams into the interior of the Starhawk, a Starhawk which is about to explode at that in a massive fireball, he's fine. No really he gets back in his ship and he races away from the starhawk as it explodes and wipes out the Imperial fleet. So while we do play as the bad guys, the defector not only survives but an incredibly unlikely scenario with a ship with minor damage and destroys the bad guys. Even when the villains win they still loose.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I didn't think Kallus turn was convincing. How that guy go from treating the near genocide of Zeb people as a badge of honor to being a traitor because you spend a day with a guy in a cave. There definitely should more to his turn than that.

Niffleheim

Was it because he spent time with a guy in a cave or was it because Zeb had friends who cared for him and hugged him?

I like the character but certanly his change of heart was too rushed.

Still is worth of mention that in that particular episode (looking into the comments of scenes who didn't make it to the final cut) the empire never went for him, they deemed a waste of resourses looking for a single officer and he was just rescued by a merchant who picked the signal (who Zeb altered to be detected for anyone) by sheer luck, had to go back to the imperial fleet by his own and see that no one cared for him or his state.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I didn't think Kallus turn was convincing. How that guy go from treating the near genocide of Zeb people as a badge of honor to being a traitor because you spend a day with a guy in a cave. There definitely should more to his turn than that.
    Because while he claimed to wear it as a badge of honor, he didn't actually. You're meant to realize, after his turn, that his attitude was a facade all along. That he's always been conflicted about his actions during the conflict with the Lasat, and that he hid that conflict behind the arrogant bravado he brought to the table earlier in the series. That he has been clinging to the notion that he'd done what he'd done in the service to an organization that was worth it and was making the galaxy a better and safer place, only to realize that neither is the case. It's like the Lasat weapon he carries. Zeb sees it as a trophy stolen from his homeworld, which Kallus is happy to let him believe. But then we see that Kallus is actually carrying it out of respect for worthy opponents and it isn't the malicious action it appeared to be.

His arc is the opposite of Cassian Andor's in Rogue One, in a sense. Cassian has done terrible things for what he believes to be a good cause, so he renews his devotion to the Rebellion and goes on a suicide mission in order to prove to himself that all those terrible things weren't for nothing and they really can make the galaxy a better place. Kallus just realizes that all the things he's done haven't actually made the Empire any better, only made him worse.

I'm not sure I agree that his turn felt rushed, but I would agree that it could have been better executed if we'd gotten a little more sense of why specifically he started giving information to the Rebels. Everything works fine for me from him revealing himself as Fulcrum through his eventual joining of the Rebellion proper, but the jump from his time with Zeb to Fulcrum could have benefited from a little more explicit investigation of what he was going through/thinking. Why not try to change the system from within? Why embrace rebellion?

Still, once they revealed him as an honorable man at heart I think his turn was inevitable. The Empire corrupts men and women like that and feeds on their good intentions. There is a reason why so many stories of defections are part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Because while he claimed to wear it as a badge of honor, he didn't actually. You're meant to realize, after his turn, that his attitude was a facade all along. That he's always been conflicted about his actions during the conflict with the Lasat, and that he hid that conflict behind the arrogant bravado he brought to the table earlier in the series.
    I agree this to a exent, the only moment he claims have had a hand in the Lassat massacre he is actually fighting Zeb and seems like he would say whatever could be usefull to make Zeb angry and commit a mistake. I think that he was clearly lying as he lyied about stealing the weapon to make Zeb as angry as possible. While the trust is, Back ten he was just barely officer and had no rank at all to give that order, the order to exterminate an entire specie should come from an from an admiral or even a grand admiral, not a simple soldier. Still he seems to feel guilty for taking part on it.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

I just finished Rebels last night.

I think Kallus' turn works on paper. In execution I think it would have worked better if we had seen a bit more from Kallus between being in the cave with Zeb and revealing himself as Fulcrum.

We get a couple scenes maybe, but they don't really sell the idea that Kallus' faith in the Empire has been shaken that drastically. I think we see him return to his ship and nobody cares that he was missing, and he lets the rebels escape once with the message to Zeb that they're even. And that lays the groundwork for his eventual betrayal, but nothing more. Another appearance or two showing the deterioration of his loyalty would've made things smoother.

But I think the overall narrative is fine, but a bit more screen time would've helped sell it. I mean, the only thing you really need to defect from the Empire is the fact that its the friggin Empire.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.