Default Commander Steel (Henry "Hank" Heywood) Appreciation Thread 2021

First appearance: Steel, the Indestructible Man #1 (March 1978)

His comic would last for five issues before he became a victim of the "DC Implosion", but he would return a few years later as part of Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron.
    It was also in that series that the character would become known as "Commander Steel".

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. V (July 1985)

Really wish this character would get used more. It’s unfortunate that DC didn’t capitalize on Steel appearing on Legends of Tomorrow.

from History of the DC Universe - Book 1 (1986)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A few more pages from that story:

To be continued . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I loved this, when it came out. Here in Brazil, back then, it was not always easy to come across American comics. It was mostly Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman and an ocassional Flash or Adventure Comics (and you could forget about getting sequencial issues. THAT was REALLY HARD). Over at Marvel, I think it was even more complicated (which I guess, is as good an explanation as any, as to why I favor DC a little bit over Marvel). Random issues of Spider-Man, with an occasional Captain America or Avengers (mostly the reprints, Marvel Triple Action, or some such). So, I never forgot when I found this issue on the stands. And I did get other issues of the 5 issue run. It was a real treat. I loved when they brought him into the All-Star Squadron, but was not as happy when they made him sort of a derranged villain in Justice League, during the Detroit days.

Peace