Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The two plot twists at the end are the kind where I feel stupid for not having seen it coming sooner.

Like "It's obvious in hindsight but I hadn't thought about it." I give credit to Spencer for it.
    The twist worked.

I also think Spencer set up expectations nicely. When I was reading the issue, it seemed obvious that they were setting up a moment where Boomerang would betray Peter and fall short of his promise. But the idea that he had been spoilers:
    planning this since the first issue went beyond that. I don't recall anyone predicting that Boomerang is playing a long game.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    i get that people aren't happy with freds regression but its not like with otto, who just forgot it all and went back to his old body. it was one of those 'i was faking all along' plots with the added 'maybe i did change after all' twists. he doesn't seem happy at the bar when everyone else is celebrating, so he might just show up at the end of spencers run and actually do something heroic
    Additionally during his explanation he did show guilt the old man had gotten killed, add in his reaction in the bar and i do feel Boomerang will not find the level of happiness/fufillment he had when he was friends with Peter and may go down the path of redemption rather than continue being a villain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Additionally during his explanation he did show guilt the old man had gotten killed, add in his reaction in the bar and i do feel Boomerang will not find the level of happiness/fufillment he had when he was friends with Peter and may go down the path of redemption rather than continue being a villain.
    It would be fun if, somehow, he appears for Kindred's endgame at a crucial moment to save Peter.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    It would be fun if, somehow, he appears for Kindred's endgame at a crucial moment to save Peter.
    Had the same thought. Either saving or helping against Kindred or the summer Sinister War story.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I’d be shocked if Boomerang doesn’t get involved in Spencer’s endgame in some capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Yea if there’s one thing that was shown from this is, Fred definitely had a point of the trope Becoming the Mask. Even if his befriending of Peter had initially been part of a long game, the friendship genuinely affected him for the better. Hell, beyond that scene at the bar, the fact that Fred was shown to be willing to go at the final piece of the tablet knowing that anyone less of a true hero, which he doesn’t view himself as, would die from the trap shows a lot about his character. Given how Spencer has developed him, I can only hope he could become similar to Black Cat where, while he may still be a crook, he isn’t a villain.

Side note... I vaguely remember Shocker being a new kingpin having Silvermane's head.

But it seems he's back being thug-for-hire and Silvermane is with a cyborg suit or something.

What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Side note... I vaguely remember Shocker being a new kingpin having Silvermane's head.

But it seems he's back being thug-for-hire and Silvermane is with a cyborg suit or something.

What did I miss?
    Nobody did anything with it, even Spencer.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    This entire series has been a stealth status quo reversal under the pretense of new stories.

-Peter and MJ dating
    -Peter a broke student working for media Corp
    -Lizard turned back into a sympathetic villian
    -Rhino turned back into a villian
    -Kraven turned back into a generic hunter
    -JJJ working in media again
    -Norman becoming classic Gobbie
    -Harry turned into(literal) mentally ill monster
    -Otto leading the Sinister Six(also reverted to classic Ock)
    -Boomerang becoming a villian again
    -JJJ inevitably holding a grudge against Parker for embarrassing him onstage and live

The moral of this giant sized issue, and perhaps this entire run, seems to he more or less "dont be idealistic and believe people can change for the better", with the exception of Fisk, who actually came out of this whole ordeal at least learning a lesson, but that might be more or less because Chip's DD run shields him from any significant change here.

If the Chameleon storyline ends up being JJJ teaming up with Chameleon and Smythee to pilot the new spider slayers to get revenge on Parker, itd be a seriously bummer way for this series to take the most predictable route.
    Everything old is new again (but still old). In a way, Boomerang is the perfect metaphor for Spencer's run. Going forward but returning to the same old spot lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Everything old is new again (but still old). In a way, Boomerang is the perfect metaphor for Spencer's run. Going forward but returning to the same old spot lol.
    The perfect metaphor I have for Spencer’s run is a poorly designed lasagna. Instead of actually putting it in the oven and baking and serving it, he adds more and more layers, and it not only becomes too complicated, but you get tired of waiting for the outcome. Take Kindred: It should have been about the Osborn’s and Peter, and perhaps MJ, Mephisto and Sin Eater. It is a comic book not War and Peace. Nick Spencer is not Leo Tolstoy that story should have been finished two years ago. Then move on to the next story. Besides that, a big problem I have with Spencer’s run is this: Sure he reverted stuff back to Pre-Slott, but the two biggest issues have not been corrected. 1: Obviously is OMD remains. But number 2 is not allowing Peter to win. The “Male equivalent of a Damsel In Distress” this time with Felicia having to save him.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 05-15-2021 at 07:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The perfect metaphor I have for Spencer’s run is a poorly designed lasagna. Instead of actually putting it in the oven and baking and serving it, he adds more and more layers, and it not only becomes too complicated, but you get tired of waiting for the outcome. Take Kindred: It should have been about the Osborn’s and Peter, and perhaps MJ, Mephisto and Sin Eater. It is a comic book not War and Peace. Nick Spencer is not Leo Tolstoy that story should have been finished two years ago. Then move on to the next story. Besides that, a big problem I have with Spencer’s run is this: Sure he reverted stuff back to Pre-Slott, but the two biggest issues have not been corrected. 1: Obviously is OMD remains. But number 2 is not allowing Peter to win. The “Male equivalent of a Damsel In Distress” this time with Felicia having to save him.
    I agree with all this.But to expand its like a raw lasagna made out of great ingredients.He writes characters better than almost anyone.Every character is an actual character and not just a plot device.All his storylines are good.Again there is are a couple of layers that are bad.The new suit and 2099 arc.The thing is that those are still raw or to be concluded.If chameleon conspiracy can land the ending then all that will be worth it.The solicits are vague af.No mention of Doom or sable or 2099 in general.but we know that they are a part of the story.The clairovoyant guy is on the ship of the foreigner.Chameleon is out for revenge.It's big enough to destroy the future.Again all depends on how they play this.
    Kindred is the one thing that feels the most drawn out.We have to wait for the solicits.Patrick gleason is drawing Spidey again so maybe we have an arc after sinister war.hell sinister war is a mini.Kindred is going to be center stage after Chameleon.Again I trust spencer to make 2099 and Chameleon count.I also want Doom and Sable stuff.
    I think either the lasgana is going to be beautifully cooked but if he messes up and fails to deliver it will all fall over and be a mess.
    Also do we know when we are getting the solicits?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I agree with all this.But to expand its like a raw lasagna made out of great ingredients.He writes characters better than almost anyone.Every character is an actual character and not just a plot device.All his storylines are good.Again there is are a couple of layers that are bad.The new suit and 2099 arc.The thing is that those are still raw or to be concluded.If chameleon conspiracy can land the ending then all that will be worth it.The solicits are vague af.No mention of Doom or sable or 2099 in general.but we know that they are a part of the story.The clairovoyant guy is on the ship of the foreigner.Chameleon is out for revenge.It's big enough to destroy the future.Again all depends on how they play this.
    Kindred is the one thing that feels the most drawn out.We have to wait for the solicits.Patrick gleason is drawing Spidey again so maybe we have an arc after sinister war.hell sinister war is a mini.Kindred is going to be center stage after Chameleon.Again I trust spencer to make 2099 and Chameleon count.I also want Doom and Sable stuff.
    I think either the lasgana is going to be beautifully cooked but if he messes up and fails to deliver it will all fall over and be a mess.
    Also do we know when we are getting the solicits?
    I wish I agreed but I do not. Take Doom: He has already moved on to his marriage and Guardians of The Galaxy. As for Sable and Miguel, even Spencer has hinted we are coming to the end of his run so I sincerely doubt he finishes those stories. As for characters they are plot devices: He uses The Order Of The Web and it was basically unnecessary. I think his best story was actually Gibbon, but he has to go back to it with Kraven and Vulture in the Sinister Six story ( did I forget to mention leaving huge plot holes like the Mysterio movie and Dr. Strange and Mephisto panel open). MJ as a pet sitter? Again not necessary.

Extraordinary Member

I wish I agreed but I do not. Take Doom: He has already moved on to his marriage and Guardians of The Galaxy. As for Sable and Miguel, even Spencer has hinted we are coming to the end of his run so I sincerely doubt he finishes those stories. As for characters they are plot devices: He uses The Order Of The Web and it was basically unnecessary. I think his best story was actually Gibbon, but he has to go back to it with Kraven and Vulture in the Sinister Six story ( did I forget to mention leaving huge plot holes like the Mysterio movie and Dr. Strange and Mephisto panel open). MJ as a pet sitter? Again not necessary.
    Doom is already doing those 2.He can do the ASM stuff.Also Spencer spent a lot of time on Teresa Chameleon Foreigner Sable Doom 2099 stuff.I doubt he will leave it unfinished.In the giant size cover we see those characters in the floating heads.The order of the web was a plot device i agree but Spencer is trying to address every part of spider-mans history so they had to.The Kraven stuff was handled well imo.He never should have been brought back \ but that was all Slott.

Also your initial point of damsel was all slott.He recently said that whenever someone asked him what his job he said it was to torture Peter Parker.Slott did that to him for 10 years and didn't give him a win just because.Spencer's run has a big theme of the world caving on peter.His story needs him to be beaten for a while.When he got the chance in a tie-in he made Peter F Norman Carnage up.

Peter needed to keep Gog away from the fight.MJ wants to help peter and this is all she can do.As for the OMD stuff the fact that he is doing it good enough for me for now.I don't mind the wait since he knows how to write Peter and MJ very well.

All this being said I really want Spencer's take on black in back.Maybe in or after sinister war.For 60+ issues peter has been captured,tortured,broken etc.I just want to peter to unleash hell on anyone and everyone.just F them the F up.I was hoping for that in King's Ransom but Kingpin is still in the picture(with rose as well) so we can still get that.
    Also Patrick Gleason is drawing Spiderman again.Maybe its for the FCBD book but maybe it is for the next arc in Spencer's run after august.Let's wait and see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Doom is already doing those 2.He can do the ASM stuff.Also Spencer spent a lot of time on Teresa Chameleon Foreigner Sable Doom 2099 stuff.I doubt he will leave it unfinished.In the giant size cover we see those characters in the floating heads.The order of the web was a plot device i agree but Spencer is trying to address every part of spider-mans history so they had to.The Kraven stuff was handled well imo.He never should have been brought back \ but that was all Slott.

Also your initial point of damsel was all slott.He recently said that whenever someone asked him what his job he said it was to torture Peter Parker.Slott did that to him for 10 years and didn't give him a win just because.Spencer's run has a big theme of the world caving on peter.His story needs him to be beaten for a while.When he got the chance in a tie-in he made Peter F Norman Carnage up.

Peter needed to keep Gog away from the fight.MJ wants to help peter and this is all she can do.As for the OMD stuff the fact that he is doing it good enough for me for now.I don't mind the wait since he knows how to write Peter and MJ very well.

All this being said I really want Spencer's take on black in back.Maybe in or after sinister war.For 60+ issues peter has been captured,tortured,broken etc.I just want to peter to unleash hell on anyone and everyone.just F them the F up.I was hoping for that in King's Ransom but Kingpin is still in the picture(with rose as well) so we can still get that.
    Also Patrick Gleason is drawing Spiderman again.Maybe its for the FCBD book but maybe it is for the next arc in Spencer's run after august.Let's wait and see.
    I am the last person to defend Dan Slott, and I hold him responsible ( along with Quesdada, Alonso and Wacker) for a lot of the problems. But going through the entire history of Spider-Man by using every A, B and C list villain ( except Kingsley, Jackal ( who I hate) and Molten Man ( we will see who does Peter and Eddie soon enough ( although I think it will be Spencer) in three years is simply not needed. It is simply overkill. The only way I see everything being finished in total ( no hanging plot lines Mysterio movie, Strange and Mephisto panel to name two) is if Spencer lasts until Amazing 900, and based on what I have read that is not happening

Extraordinary Member

I am the last person to defend Dan Slott, and I hold him responsible ( along with Quesdada, Alonso and Wacker) for a lot of the problems. But going through the entire history of Spider-Man by using every A, B and C list villain ( except Kingsley, Jackal ( who I hate) and Molten Man ( we will see who does Peter and Eddie soon enough ( although I think it will be Spencer) in three years is simply not needed. It is simply overkill. The only way I see everything being finished in total ( no hanging plot lines Mysterio movie, Strange and Mephisto panel to name two) is if Spencer lasts until Amazing 900, and based on what I have read that is not happening
    i know.just saying that damsel stuff was something Started by Slott.Not that peter didn't get beat up before but he always got back up.His fight with morlun and the phone call is one of my favs and it is mostly Peter getting his ass kicked.
    Spencer should finish all this up.I think he will last after august tbh.As you said the storylines are still pending.Spencer seems to have a entire run planned and I don't think Marvel will interefere.
    I agree it is overkill but it allows the next writers a lot of leeway.
    The next writer will have a great status quo and a lot of elements from Spider-man's total history were just made familiar to the modern readers.They also have a mature Peter which in in of itself is a blessing.
    Again do we have any idea where the solicits are.i hope we get them by 17th and don't have to wait till the 23rd