Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Daily Bugle Lego Set

I would have been insufferable begging my parents for this at ten (and trying to convince my brothers to split it with me as a Christmas gift because it does have a price tag of $300.)

https://www.brickfanatics.com/the-fi...re-already-in/

Mary Jane's absence among the 25 characters is conspicuous. They've got Blade and Gwen Stacy, but not her.

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/annou...-man-lego-set/

Despite the lego Alan Moore avatar, I'm not a Lego fanatic. Although this might get me to my elementary school habits.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Mary Jane's absence among the 25 characters is conspicuous. They've got Blade and Gwen Stacy, but not her.
    Yep, I went through the gallery twice to make sure I didn't overlook her. Why the big omission?
    Despite the lego Alan Moore avatar, I'm not a Lego fanatic. Although this might get me to my elementary school habits.
    Been years since I got a set for myself (I did buy for my nephew and nieces), but there are other themes I'll get first over this one.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would have been insufferable begging my parents for this at ten (and trying to convince my brothers to split it with me as a Christmas gift because it does have a price tag of $300.)

https://www.brickfanatics.com/the-fi...re-already-in/

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/annou...-man-lego-set/

Now that you bring it up, Mary Jane not being included in that set . . . is lame. Very, very lame.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Now that you bring it up, Mary Jane not being included in that set . . . is lame. Very, very lame.
    My guess is that they don't want to be dragged into some argument about whitewashing because Zendaya is playing the MCU MJ.

There is no Electro or Kingpin either.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

My guess is that they don't want to be dragged into some argument about whitewashing because Zendaya is playing the MCU MJ.

Yeah this is what I've heard. They didnt include Mary Jane because there was a recent Zendaya MJ minifigure released. A comic Mary Jane figure was made a few years before the MCU version though.

On another note, that Gwen Stacy minifigure is terrible. She just looks like some random blonde.

Yeah, don't really get why MJ isn't there. I don't think the MCU matters because...the Daily Bugle building hasn't even appeared in the MCU, or like most of those characters (recognizably).

Mighty Member

I think they didn't want two different MJ figs (a white redheaded version and a biracial version) being distributed at the same time. Probably the same reason we don't get Ned Leeds included in the Bugle staff. The other supporting characters don't really matter since MCU versions either don't exist or haven't been produced. I think Lego floated 60 different characters, but Disney/Marvel ultimately selected the ones that were produced. It's odd because Hasbro recently put out MCU MJ and comic Mary Jane figures (but then again Mary Jane was included as an alternate head for a Gwen Stacy figure so maybe that one was allowed to slide.)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-20-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

If there were 60 thought of...I wonder who the other 35 were.

And yes...it sucks that real MJ is not included.

It doesn't seem to impact Spider-Verse MJ or Insomniac's MJ. Hell, even the last season of the most recent animated Spider-Man show included Mary Jane.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It doesn't seem to impact Spider-Verse MJ or Insomniac's MJ. Hell, even the last season of the most recent animated Spider-Man show included Mary Jane.
    Both Spider-Verse and the PS4 game started production before Homecoming for that film to have any sort of impact on MJ's design (thankfully...not that it necessarily would have.) And they really didn't start to lean into Zendaya's character being "MJ" in promo and merchandising until Far From Home. You're right about the recent cartoon series though.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-20-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Both Spider-Verse and the PS4 game started production before Homecoming for that film to have any sort of impact on MJ's design (thankfully...not that it necessarily would have.) And they really didn't start to lean into Zendaya's character being "MJ" in promo and merchandising until Far From Home. You're right about the recent cartoon series though.
    Into the Spider-Verse changed their plans for Ganke because of "Ned" in Homecoming.

https://twitter.com/philiplord/statu...92039195324418

Also they still use old lady Aunt May instead of Marissa Tomei Aunt May.

Mighty Member

That's true. But that was more of a story editing reason than a marketing synergy reason...they didnt want Miles' story to veer too closely to MCU Peter's. And it probably would have been easier to delete scenes with Ganke than to redesign whole characters at that stage.

And also that was back when Zendaya was "not really Mary Jane..." so idk. Since then, you have Zendaya MJ toys and merchandise. Zendaya MJ has her own lego minifigure which was just released for Far From Home.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 05-20-2021 at 09:38 PM.

The Raimi films are still the definitive Spider-Man films even after all these years. This is in addition to a project like this not being made for the casual MCU fan (some of those DB employees are pretty deep cuts).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Also they still use old lady Aunt May instead of Marissa Tomei Aunt May.
    There's no controversy about overrepresentation of elderly people, so that choice isn't politically loaded the way selecting a white version of a character over an African-American version would be (or even the other way around.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets