Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 84
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    I am still pissed that Wild Child and Daken have not gotten into it yet over Aurora.

  2. #47
    Fantastic Member Lady Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I am still pissed that Wild Child and Daken have not gotten into it yet over Aurora.
    Anywhere Aurora and Dakan go as a couple, Wild Child's already been.
    Here's the thing;

    I don't care.

  3. #48
    Fantastic Member Lady Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    497

    Default

    By the looks of the last panel, Greycrow and Wildchild will manage to make it to the party.
    Here's the thing;

    I don't care.

  4. #49
    Incredible Member Thundershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Looks like Wild Child is gonna pick a fight with Scalpy...

  5. #50

    Default

    Magnetos hat looks very fucking stupid. Should have had an Ozymandias type deal.

  6. #51
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Hickman himself seems a fan of the idea not used in the comics since 2004 of her as one of the inheritors of one of the two ideological founders of the mutant rights movement's dreams. With Jean and Scott as inheritors of the other founder's dreams.

    That concept really hasn't bled through very well in many of the other things she has been doing of late. But, its a pretty good idea that if followed through on would help to define the ground rules of Lorna's interaction with other characters. No ground rules for what Lorna thinks or believes led to a mess with the character.
    I've gotten the impression that Lorna is bucking under the pressure that Dadneto has been putting on her to 'represent him.' Not just the pressure, but the condescension of her as being perceived as an extension of himself, and not a person (and a power) in her own right. She's put up with it. She was 'the girlfriend' for far too long. And now she's being 'the daughter.' But the cracks are showing.

    I think she wants to break out, and away from Magneto, the same way she broke away from Alex, but hasn't found a way to express that longing yet, or found a real path that she wants to blaze on her own quite yet. (And it might seem kind of premature and impulsive to denounce daddy and break away to blaze your own path, and then flounder around and reveal to the world that you didn't really have any clear goal *after* that... Always make sure you've got a new place to sleep before you set your old home on fire!)

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I've gotten the impression that Lorna is bucking under the pressure that Dadneto has been putting on her to 'represent him.' Not just the pressure, but the condescension of her as being perceived as an extension of himself, and not a person (and a power) in her own right. She's put up with it. She was 'the girlfriend' for far too long. And now she's being 'the daughter.' But the cracks are showing.

    I think she wants to break out, and away from Magneto, the same way she broke away from Alex, but hasn't found a way to express that longing yet, or found a real path that she wants to blaze on her own quite yet. (And it might seem kind of premature and impulsive to denounce daddy and break away to blaze your own path, and then flounder around and reveal to the world that you didn't really have any clear goal *after* that... Always make sure you've got a new place to sleep before you set your old home on fire!)
    What keeps getting forgotten with Lorna too often is that when she and her father entered into their new relationship, it was with Lorna not knowing Magneto was her father and choosing for herself to assist him on Genosha.

    Something drew her there. It wasn't the pretzels. It also wasn't a sense of "owing it to her father." She had no conception of that being the case. She had reasons for being there and assisting him that can't be explained as feeling pressured to do it.

    Since then, Marvel's had difficulties in understanding that Magneto being her father doesn't have to mean suddenly it's Havok 2.0. It wasn't Havok 2.0 when they were on Genosha, so why treat it like Havok 2.0 now? Why does Lorna knowing Magneto is her father change her aspirations from "I share the same cause as Magneto" to "I want nothing to do with anything remotely related to Magneto, I'm just doing it cause he's my dad." Relationships aren't light switches that can only go on or off.

    I bring up Genosha and what happened there so often not just because of how big it was in Lorna's history, but because there is a lot of her identity loaded into it that Marvel's already done that they just... pretend isn't there. They're reinventing a wheel that doesn't need reinventing. They just need to look at the blueprints other people who have worked at Marvel already made, and improve on those blueprints.

    I'd also have to say, in ending off, that Marvel hasn't actually let her break away from Havok at all. They keep putting in reminders. One recent issue of X-Factor had her drunk dialing Havok, and now here we are, with this preview. To say nothing of all the other times they've felt like it's absolutely essential to remind everyone how much they love that Lorna used to bang Havok.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress. Avatar by Ty Romsa (not commissioned by me).

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  8. #53
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    What keeps getting forgotten with Lorna too often is that when she and her father entered into their new relationship, it was with Lorna not knowing Magneto was her father and choosing for herself to assist him on Genosha.

    Something drew her there. It wasn't the pretzels. It also wasn't a sense of "owing it to her father." She had no conception of that being the case. She had reasons for being there and assisting him that can't be explained as feeling pressured to do it.

    Since then, Marvel's had difficulties in understanding that Magneto being her father doesn't have to mean suddenly it's Havok 2.0. It wasn't Havok 2.0 when they were on Genosha, so why treat it like Havok 2.0 now? Why does Lorna knowing Magneto is her father change her aspirations from "I share the same cause as Magneto" to "I want nothing to do with anything remotely related to Magneto, I'm just doing it cause he's my dad." Relationships aren't light switches that can only go on or off.

    I bring up Genosha and what happened there so often not just because of how big it was in Lorna's history, but because there is a lot of her identity loaded into it that Marvel's already done that they just... pretend isn't there. They're reinventing a wheel that doesn't need reinventing. They just need to look at the blueprints other people who have worked at Marvel already made, and improve on those blueprints.

    I'd also have to say, in ending off, that Marvel hasn't actually let her break away from Havok at all. They keep putting in reminders. One recent issue of X-Factor had her drunk dialing Havok, and now here we are, with this preview. To say nothing of all the other times they've felt like it's absolutely essential to remind everyone how much they love that Lorna used to bang Havok.
    Well said.Do you think they should write her into a dating situation or just single for the time being.If dating,then who?
    FYI,dating won't mean she follows the guy around or needs her.She would still be independent.

  9. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I've gotten the impression that Lorna is bucking under the pressure that Dadneto has been putting on her to 'represent him.' Not just the pressure, but the condescension of her as being perceived as an extension of himself, and not a person (and a power) in her own right. She's put up with it. She was 'the girlfriend' for far too long. And now she's being 'the daughter.' But the cracks are showing.

    I think she wants to break out, and away from Magneto, the same way she broke away from Alex, but hasn't found a way to express that longing yet, or found a real path that she wants to blaze on her own quite yet. (And it might seem kind of premature and impulsive to denounce daddy and break away to blaze your own path, and then flounder around and reveal to the world that you didn't really have any clear goal *after* that... Always make sure you've got a new place to sleep before you set your old home on fire!)
    Lorna's life and history is complicated and redefining Lorna as someone who has been pressured by familial obligation into views and beliefs not of her choosing is ahistorical and its not good for her character or story either.

    Its ahistorical because as another poster aptly put it she didn't become a mutant nationalist (when all the other X-Men were highly hostile to the notion) and believe in a much more militant mutant homeland then Krakoa out of some misplaced obligation to a dad she didn't know was her father. She did it because she believed it was the right thing to do. Her fear and distrust of humanity isn't a function of any Magneto guilt trip, but having experienced a mass genocide she believed the human governments and their taxpayers to be culpable as well for by building the Sentinels in the first place.

    If one ignores her Genosha history it is possible to recast her as something akin to Wolverine and the X-Men Lorna which had her raised by him and filled with his indoctrination and struggling to break away from bad dad and establish her own beliefs. The problem is that is not keeping with Lorna's history and its not good for the character.

    The only effect of redefining her as under dad’s thumb is to set up an argument that another man... most likely Havok deserves a fifth chance to make it work and then by changing her views she will be liberated. The reality is anything but and they will be just writing Lorna in a never ending circle around the men around her.

    Havok [who in no way is out of Lorna's story right now] will end up with Lorna romantically again down the road. That much is a given. But, if they ignore her history in order to realign her political views and beliefs to make them more simpatico they will have done both characters and their future interaction a disservice. Its working with differences that makes relationships work which is why the few bright spots in their decades of on and off relationship they did have different views.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-09-2021 at 09:07 AM.

  10. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Well said.Do you think they should write her into a dating situation or just single for the time being.If dating,then who?
    FYI,dating won't mean she follows the guy around or needs her.She would still be independent.
    Thanks. I'm open to either really. The most important thing is that if she dates someone, then Marvel is very careful about not repeating mistakes of the past. Marvel keeps doing it when she's around other men.

    If she were to date someone, my top personal interest is Jean, followed by Emma. Lorna and Jean have that history going back to the old days they can build off of, and it would be a good way to rekindle and rethink their relationship while providing more for Jean and Storm to discuss with their friendship. Though another approach might be Storm and Jean dating, and Lorna taking a close trusted best friend role. With Emma, there's both having been part of Genosha and surviving the genocide as common ground. Though of course, there are also other perfectly good dynamics Lorna could have with these characters that don't involve dating them.

    But I also wouldn't mind Lorna being single for now. Other Lorna fans have said she should just not date anyone so all the focus can be on showing off who she is and exploring her possibilities without a partner in the mix. There's plenty of solid argument for that, since Marvel seems to have trouble with understanding not to treat whoever Lorna's spending a lot of time with as Havok 2.0.

    Though I'll add that in 52 years of existence, Marvel's treated romance options very different between Lorna and Havok. Havok gets to be with a different woman every decade, while Marvel treats Lorna like Havok is the only person she's allowed to date and like he must keep coming up in everything she does. Has its roots in the sexist "men can sleep with as many people as they want and they're a stud, but a woman must sleep with only one guy or she's a slut" line of thinking.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress. Avatar by Ty Romsa (not commissioned by me).

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Magnetos hat looks very fucking stupid. Should have had an Ozymandias type deal.
    Agreed I hope he losses it at some point, maybe when he finds out Lorna won the election

    About Lorna and Magneto, Salarta and jmc247 are completely right, Lorna didnīt choose to become an advocate of Genosha because Magneto was her dad, she thought that was a good option for mutants and the right thing to do, when Magneto went overboard with it during Eve of Destruction Lorna left, because she didnīt want to get involved on that, after that she went back to take care of Magneto who was healing from his last fight with the X-men, she used the opportunity to make a DNA test and discovered Magneto was her dad, she went to confront him with this and got back in time for the destruction of Genosha, she stayed days there, remembering Magneto and the Genohans last words until she was rescued by the X-men and became once again part of the group.

    So what I like about Magnetoīs and Lorna story is the fact that Lorna always took the initiative when it came to her relationship with her Dad and Magneto also wanted her to have that choice, when they worked together again during X-men blue he didnīt want her to follow him blindly, he wanted her to feel free to say to him when she thought he was going too far, their relationship in this sense is quite fresh because their talks are often honest, they can disagree, can have arguments but still itīs obvious both care for each other.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 05-09-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    what is man that you are mindful of him,
    and the son of man that you care for him? Psalm 8

  12. #57
    Fantastic Member Lady Midnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Lorna deserves better than Havok.
    Here's the thing;

    I don't care.

  13. #58
    Extraordinary Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Lorna deserves better than Havok.
    Well, Scott may or may not be an option, I actually thought they might have been hinting at something early on.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Rang10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    2,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well, Scott may or may not be an option, I actually thought they might have been hinting at something early on.
    Didn't saw any hinting, unless everytime a woman and a guy talks is a hint. It was already done on ultite and it was boring

  15. #60
    Extraordinary Member cranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Didn't saw any hinting, unless everytime a woman and a guy talks is a hint. It was already done on ultite and it was boring
    Look, I am not going to get in a back and forth, and I am not even pushing this angle, but read X-Men #1, the discussion between Scott and Lorna, and there is a very specific thing said that is very intriguing (well, was intriguing at the time).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •