Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Default Licensed Book Recommendations?

I never used to read licensed books, assuming that they would somehow be inferior and too chained to the original subject to be creative and interesting, or written by inferior writers. However, I have read some lately that have got me thinking about that and want to recommendations for good licensed books. I am reading X-files, Star Trek ongoing and Powerpuff Girls. All three are entertaining.

What are some others think are standouts? I suppose a lot of it depends on if you liked the original subject, but good writing can make things interesting even if you didn't like the original as much. I think I like X Files comic more than the show. I remember liking the first couple of seasons but loosing interest when the conspiracy got convoluted. So I would give a shot at a book that is entertaining even if the subject was not as much.

BANNED

I can probably count the number of licensed comics I've liked on one hand.

I did like the Dead Space miniseries with art by Ben Templesmith. I also thought BOOM! did a better job with licensed comics than most publishers, I've read a few and all were good enough, but with a limited budget and unlimited material to choose from, even those mostly don't make the cut. I'm going to check out Big Trouble In Little China for sure though.

Well, I love IDW's Ghostbusters series. If you're a fan, I think you'll probably enjoy it. You can read a summary of my thoughts on it here.

If by chance you've never seen the movies, but still like paranormal stories, I think it's still accessible. Obviously, you'll miss the references and easter eggs (which are plentiful), but I don't think that would impact the overall enjoyment of taking the series on its own.
    Last edited by Michael24; 05-04-2014 at 07:29 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Incredible Member

Transformers: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE.

Think Star Trek with Transformers. Great characters, great stories, and it does more new and exciting things with the Transformers than has ever been done before.

A book that will show you that a Transformers story can be a lot more than just Autobots vs Decepticons

The Adventure Time books are good, if you like Adventure time. I think the independent companies have gotten alot better about making GOOD licensed comics, or at least decent. It's the one-off stuff that the Big 2 crap out that you mostly need to avoid now it seems.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Well, I love IDW's Ghostbusters series. If you're a fan, I think you'll probably enjoy it. You can read a summary of my thoughts on it here.

If by chance you've never seen the movies, but still like paranormal stories, I think it's still accessible. Obviously, you'll miss the references and easter eggs (which are plentiful), but I don't think that would impact the overall enjoyment of taking the series on its own.
    Seconded, I have bought some of these in TPB and enjoyed every page. It has all the charm and cleverness of the theatrical releases and the brilliant art style of the cartoons.

I am really looking forward to Nightbreed from BOOM as well.

Dark Horses Conan and Star Wars output.

IDWs TMNT.

BANNED

Boom's Farscape comics were fun.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Dark Horses Star Wars output.
    Specifically Brian Wood's Star Wars ongoing. It's bloody good.

And that's coming from someone who rarely enjoys licensed comics.

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofcrabs View Post
    The Adventure Time books are good, if you like Adventure time. I think the independent companies have gotten alot better about making GOOD licensed comics, or at least decent. It's the one-off stuff that the Big 2 crap out that you mostly need to avoid now it seems.
    Absolutely. Adventure Time is the strongest of the cartoon adaptations currently available, and while it's difficult to approximate the kinetic style of the Cartoon Network show, the comics have all the cleverness, wit and (perhaps unexpected) emotional sophistication of the cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Dark Horses Conan and Star Wars output.

IDWs TMNT.
    And all of these! Brian Wood's recently completed Conan the Barbarian and still on-going Star Wars series with Dark Horse are generally excellent, though both feel more like "Brian Wood" than either of their respective licensed properties. It doesn't keep them from being really good, though!

And IDW's TMNT is a fine return to form, eschewing a lot of the influence of the '80s and '90s children's cartoon for the style and tone of the original comics series, including giving them all red masks. It doesn't lose the humor but it does lose a lot of the camp.

Amazing Member

abso- lutely have to agree with Adventure Time as a suggestion. I started reading it for all the neat art that webcomic artists I love contributed to that series.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawizard View Post
    abso- lutely have to agree with Adventure Time as a suggestion. I started reading it for all the neat art that webcomic artists I love contributed to that series.
    Is one of them Danielle Corsetto? I think she is absolutely amazing. I guess I will try Adventure Time and Ghost Busters. It will be interesting to try some new stuff because I don't blow enough money on comics already.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will keep reading. I never would have considered either that or Ghost Busters. But since I loved the movies, and the comics seem true to them, they are worth a shot.

Amazing Member

i think she did a cover? and she wrote two graphic novels for the series, sold as a little manga-type book

I think Transformers/G.I. Joe (first issue in July) is going to be a great and innovative licensed comic.

The James Stokoe Godzilla mini was pretty good too.
    Current top 5: She-Hulk, Daredevil, Velvet, Lazarus, Adventures of Superman

BANNED

I forgot about Conan. I loved the first few trades I've read from the Dark Horse series. It exceeded my expectations by a fair margin.