Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Art in current comic books

Hi everybody,

I started reading comics a couple months ago. I've read in the 80's and 90's. I am currently reading: Superman, Action Comics, Detective Batman, Batman, The Joker, Catwoman, Robin, Nightwing, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, JL, Flash, Green Lantern and Infinite Frontier, all printed books. Also from DC, Crisis on Infinite Earths (book). From Marvel I am reading Amazing Spider-Man (printed and digital), Hulk and Daredevil (both digital).

Even though I'm enjoying a lot rediscovering all these heroes and series, there is something that I am not so crazy about: the art on today's books. I figured that what bothers me more is the colour, not so much the pencil/ink. Yes, some art (pencil) seems a little to "modern" for my taste but most of the time I can understand it and live with it; but the colour... I assume that most if not all the colour are painted digitally...which might be the reason I don't like it. It's too "digital".

It also seems that reading the digital version of the book is even worse. To finish it off, I don't dislike them all. For ex: The Joker, Batman, Nightwing and some others I like it.

So what are your thoughts on today's art? Do you all like it? Does some people read only old comics because of the art?

Thanks.

Ultimate Member

I have noticed differences between old and new comics. I haven't really seen what's "better". I need to take a closer look

All-New Member

All kinds of art is subjective, therefore, there is no "better" art. I just wanted to know the opinion on today's art in general, your preferences. Just to make it clear: my opinion in today's art does not make this art "bad art". It's just an opinion.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro78 View Post
    All kinds of art is subjective, therefore, there is no "better" art. I just wanted to know the opinion on today's art in general, your preferences. Just to make it clear: my opinion in today's art does not make this art "bad art". It's just an opinion.
    Ok. I haven't noticed it much myself tbh

Retired

I feel like, the more effects driven and digital the art, the less integrated with the story it feels. It's like the writer is doing all the work of telling the story--through dialogue and captions--while the artist is off doing something else and not really involved in the sequential art of story telling.

My biggest problem is that some panels have layouts that can't be easily read. It shouldn't take a long time to figure out which character is which.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I feel like, the more effects driven and digital the art, the less integrated with the story it feels. It's like the writer is doing all the work of telling the story--through dialogue and captions--while the artist is off doing something else and not really involved in the sequential art of story telling.
    I agree with you.