Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Prejudice towards mutants

What organisations, groups, rascists out there absolutely hate mutants because they are mutants ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Some Humans just in general

The Friends of Humanity
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    What organisations, groups, rascists out there absolutely hate mutants because they are mutants ?.
    Currently? Orchis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Currently? Orchis.
    Isn't Orchis more based on "fear" of mutants?

Though then again:
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Also it seems the general fear of mutants, which in a narrative issues is actualy understandable given the nightmarish abilities many mutants have (and often unable to controll them initialy), is what empowers the many smaller scale anti-mutant groups (often quickly formed mobs).
    Because while most who fear mutants might not actualy hate them, said fear can create the feeling in people who just want to find someone to unleash violence on, that it's socialy "okay" to attack them since people are less likely to come to their support or defence.

In this case it's difficult to tell if such mobs or gangs are really hating mutants or just using them as ideal targets to get away with harming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Isn't Orchis more based on "fear" of mutants?

Though then again:
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Also it seems the general fear of mutants, which in a narrative issues is actualy understandable given the nightmarish abilities many mutants have (and often unable to controll them initialy), is what empowers the many smaller scale anti-mutant groups (often quickly formed mobs).
    Because while most who fear mutants might not actualy hate them, said fear can create the feeling in people who just want to find someone to unleash violence on, that it's socialy "okay" to attack them since people are less likely to come to their support or defence.

In this case it's difficult to tell if such mobs or gangs are really hating mutants or just using them as ideal targets to get away with harming them.
    That distinction between "hate" and "fear" or "hate" and "ignorance" has always seemed like it was designed to make oppressors look better. To the oppressed they're at the wrong end of the violence anyways so it's not like it really matters.

When the results of ignorance and evil are the same people really shouldn’t care about the difference it’s still terrible.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    When the results of ignorance and evil are the same people really shouldn’t care about the difference it’s still terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    That distinction between "hate" and "fear" or "hate" and "ignorance" has always seemed like it was designed to make oppressors look better. To the oppressed they're at the wrong end of the violence anyways so it's not like it really matters.
    Good points.

Allright "violent opportunist" and "ignorant mobs" count to the "hate" mutants category.

Purifiers they believe that mutants are demons and that god wants them all gone which is there mission to do

I think ignorance can lead to fear, and fear can lead to hate.

That said, I think the metaphor in Marvel works within the context of superheroes, but it breaks down a bit in terms of how minorities often face hatred in real life. In real life in America, most people and most minorities aren’t dangerous.

In the X titles, some mutants can level cities with no weapons but themselves. The metaphor breaks down.

It’s not so easy to say Orchis or even the Trasks are completely off base about the threat mutants could pose.

Also, it never made any sense that mutants are the victims of prejudice while other superhumans are heroes. The metaphor breaks down a bit there as well.

But, in the Marvel Universe, that’s the metaphor. And Orchis hates mutants.

In the X titles, some mutants can level cities with no weapons but themselves. The metaphor breaks down
    I mean a single human can blow up buildings and level cities.

It’s not so easy to say Orchis or even the Trasks are completely off base about the threat mutants could pose.
    Nah it kinda was easy I made it as a kid and narratively been backed up past 20 years.The X-Men narrative still confirms my correct decision I made as a kid when I first read about Trask The Sentinels etc
    Last edited by BroHomo; 05-06-2021 at 09:42 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I mean a single human can blow up buildings and level cities.
    Note that I qualified my statement:
    In the X titles, some mutants can level cities with no weapons but themselves.

Humans can’t level whole cities by themselves and not without weapons. It takes a lot more than a single person and it requires quite powerful weapons built by numerous people.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Nah it kinda was easy I made it as a kid and narratively been back up past 20 years
    ???
    I don’t understand.

Extraordinary Member

Friends of Humanity
    Humanity's Last Stand
    Reavers
    Purifiers
    Bio Rights
    Purity
    Sapein League

Currently:
    Orchis: based in the fear of being replaced, Orchis presents itself as merely a scientific organization (made up of scientists from such luminary organizations as SHIELD...uhhh....AIM, HAMMER, HYDRA, Weapon X and...oof...not much good there in that list...) devoted to the survival of humanity, but in reality, they are a human supremacist organization that sees nothing wrong with exterminating humanity's children, as long as humanity survives.

Xeno: based on feelings of inadequacy leading to violence. Xeno is a more covert organization that captures mutants and mutilated them in the process of performing monstrous experiments intended to give baseline humans the powers stolen from tortured, mutilated children of humanity. Which they then use, seemingly exclusively, to hunt and capture or murder other mutants.

Friends of Humanity: a more politically motivated hate group started by the son of two mutant villains who was mad that he wasn't a mutant, himself and decided to kill all mutants to teach them a lesson for...something. granted, his dad was Sabretooth and his mom was Mystique and that bound to mess anyone up from the get, so this could just as easily be blamed on his parents as anything else. But Greydon was a grown ass man who should have known better, but didnt care. Like the previous two, the entire organization seems to get off on the idea of slaughtering humanity's children. This is the organization you join if you want to pretend that you just want to have a safe world, but you dont 'hate' mutants. You just want them to not...exist, you know? I mean...what about safe schools for our children? Won't someone please think of the children!? (But not the ones we murder. They dont count...)

Reavers: augmented humans who hate mutants for individual reasons. Anyone who isnt them is unworthy of life, and deserves a slow, painful death for the sin of being not white. I mean, not 'human'. And they'll completely destroy every inch of their own humanity to do it...basically, the Proud Boys of the 616.

Purifiers: humans of the 'Christian' fundamentalist stripe who think mutants are literally demons because they have no idea how to read the Bible for themselves and trust a failed, murderous televangelist to lead them and speak the truth. Think...if Focus on the Family and the NRA had a baby with Identity Evropa.

Sapien League: if I remember right, these are human survivors of mutant-caused tragedies who banded together to get revenge against those they believe wronged them. Sort of like if a white guy decides to shoot up a mosque in Decatur as revenge for his brother dying to an IED in Afghanistan, but a whole organization of them.

Homines Verendi: motivated by greed and awfulness and the selfish pettiness of children with too much money and not enough discipline. Basically. The Trump kids teamed up with the lesser Kardashians and took over a 3rd world country in Asia...

Various world governments (including the US): operating from a mindset all too familiar in today's world...'oppressed people rising up and banding together to demand respect and recognition after decades of violence and attempts at genocide against them? That threatens our status quo of exploiting those people! Kill their leaders so they go back to being afraid and useful!'

Bonus -

Cult of X: not a hate group...yet...but these are humans who seemingly worship mutants as gods. That could NEVER go wrong...
    Last edited by zinderel; 05-07-2021 at 11:39 AM.

Note that I qualified my statement:
    In the X titles, some mutants can level cities with no weapons but themselves.

Humans can’t level whole cities by themselves and not without weapons. It takes a lot more than a single person and it requires quite powerful weapons built by numerous people.

???
    I don’t understand.
    Super-intelligent people like Doctor Doom or Doctor Octopus have come much closer to destroying or conquering the world than evil mutants, they have undoubtedly killed more people.

Would it be fair to discriminate against the super-smart people at Marvel for their destructive potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Super-intelligent people like Doctor Doom or Doctor Octopus have come much closer to destroying or conquering the world than evil mutants, they have undoubtedly killed more people.

Would it be fair to discriminate against the super-smart people at Marvel for their destructive potential?
    To be honest it was done, for a while toward all metahumans during Civil War. But as things goes in MU it was put under the rug and everything is fine again...Even if it shouldn't.
    The issue is that some individuals have an unchecked uncontrolled devasting power. And one can only HOPE that they have the necessary metnal fortitude, morality and skill to NOT to abuse it in DEVASTING way.
    Consider that there are quite a few metahuman, not jsut mutants albeit they have the hightst number, that can EASILY wipe out the entire earth civilization...Omni-man style.
    Remeber when Ice Man nearky caused a new glaciation, remember when Doctor Strange nearly freed Zom, whose power could tear reality asunder, rememberwhen hank created Ultron, remember when human torch unwittingly neat cause a unstable molecule apocalypse due to his attempt to exploit it(and showing that unstable molecules are SCARY AS ****, and Reed Richards is quite insane), remember when Hulk nearly broke the planet in half stomping very hard.
    Of course this not taking in account the villains who ACTIVELY and willingly endanger the world for the most inane reason possible. Sometimes just for shizzle.
    <some form of plagues is common, mostly because writer find hard working with physics based world endingn scenarios).
    Take in account the various, MANY otherowrldy galaxy bending being that regularly menace the universe(and only by sheer luck they did not fry the planet) and you see how CRAPSACK NIGHTMARISH WORLD MARVEL EARTH IS!!