Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I'd believe this.

Frankly, while I'm a bit more optimistic than Agent Smith, his breakdown and subsequent explanation that humans are some kind of parasite or disease, is kinda accurate?

"A parasite is an organism that lives on or in a host organism and gets its food from or at the expense of its host."

In this case, Earth being the host.

Or at the very least the human capacity for being selfish and rather self-absorbed has given us parasitic characteristics?

... picket fence was a good idea.
    Rather well-put, I think.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Well, this thread has taken a turn into some pretty gloomy areas.

I continue to blame Captain Morgan!
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I'd believe this.

Frankly, while I'm a bit more optimistic than Agent Smith, his breakdown and subsequent explanation that humans are some kind of parasite or disease, is kinda accurate?

"A parasite is an organism that lives on or in a host organism and gets its food from or at the expense of its host."

In this case, Earth being the host.

Or at the very least the human capacity for being selfish and rather self-absorbed has given us parasitic characteristics?

... picket fence was a good idea.
    This is no different than the "humans are awesome" trope, it still implies humans are inherently unique/special but in another way. One i do not see anymore accurate.

I'd say Mass Effect(after post ME3 writing) would be a more realistic view, in that all races have their faults, no better or worse than the other, just different.
    Last edited by Cody; 05-11-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This is no different than the "humans are awesome" trope, it still implies humans are inherently unique/special but in another way. One i do not see anymore accurate.

I'd say Mass Effect(after post ME3 writing) would be a more realistic view, in that all races have their faults, no better or worse than the other, just different.
    Yeah, but that’s only the case for the purposes of game balance.

In a scenario without those constraints, some races would just be flat-out better. Smarter, more technologically advanced, greater numbers, physically stronger etc.

But ‘better’ just due to humans being special snowflakes is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, but that’s only the case for the purposes of game balance.

In a scenario without those constraints, some races would just be flat-out better. Smarter, more technologically advanced, greater numbers, physically stronger etc.

But ‘better’ just due to humans being special snowflakes is dumb.
    It's not even me saying that humans are special, either. It's saying that they display the same behaviors of parasitic organisms. Which they do.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

It's not even me saying that humans are special, either. It's saying that they display the same behaviors of parasitic organisms. Which they do.
    Then that would apply to the vast majority of life as a whole really.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Oh, I know. And you’re right.

I was just going back to the PREVIOUS off-topic tangent of humans being special in the universe because reasons.

Remember when this thread was about Green Lanterns?

*shakes fist at sky*

CURSE YOU, CAPTAIN MORGAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Oh, I know. And you’re right.

I was just going back to the PREVIOUS off-topic tangent of humans being special in the universe because reasons.

Remember when this thread was about Green Lanterns?

*shakes fist at sky*

CURSE YOU, CAPTAIN MORGAN!!
    Green Lanterns are boring, it's more fun talking about how humans like to push human-propaganda in Sci-fi settings.

I too am a 'hoomanz'.

YOU CAN'T PROVE NOTHING.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Give me your hatred. I shall drink it up and spit back as acid in your faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Give me your hatred. I shall drink it up and spit back as acid in your faces.
    I knew you were a Red Lantern.

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I knew you were a Red Lantern.
    Well, yeah, I wear red and sell combustible fluids that burn so good. I made it pretty obvious.

Well, yeah, I wear red and sell combustible fluids that burn so good. I made it pretty obvious.
    Now that you spell it out... yea.

Arx Inosaan

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Still need a like button.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

We will solve all human propaganda problems by playing the ME remaster in 2 days
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

A parasite robs a living thing of it's own sustenance to support the parasite.

Earth isn't a living thing. It's a planet - a chunk of dead stone floating in space that happens to have lots of things growing on it. Humans, as a species, by the very definition of the word, are not parasites.

Assholes, definitely. But not parasites.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan