Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Y'know, Goku might take the Green Lantern ring as an opportunity to get back to his staff-fighting roots with a cosmic-tier Nyoi-bo as well. Maybe also brush up on some other weapon-based martial arts now that he's got something that can create weapons that he can use without worrying too much about breaking.
    I also had this thought, it would be very in character for Goku to do that.

Also means he instantly switch between barehanded and armed so his chi blast game won't be impacted.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    'cept for being unable to help at all with the lead poisoning
    Actually the ring was the only reason the lead poisoning didn't kill him.

Astonishing Member

Never understood why the medical tech of super science civilizations couldn't cure him. We have drugs for lead poisoning, they should.

Swiss army nerd

Clark would make a hell of a GL. His willpower is off the charts, pretty sure Parallax couldn't break through his will at all, he had to force Clark to let him in by holding civilians hostage. The willpower coupled with how fast he thinks and reacts/photographic memory, while using a thought-based weapon... Yeah. The kind of stuff Clark could fire off at the bell would be pretty rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Never understood why the medical tech of super science civilizations couldn't cure him. We have drugs for lead poisoning, they should.
    That's because it isn't really lead poisoning as you get in people. It is meant to be an even more severe equivalent to kryptonite, which is basically radiation poison. That's always been the thing with Daxamites. As powerful as Kryptonians, but with an even bigger weakness to a much more common substance.

Astonishing Member

After playing Resident Evil Village?

Ethan Winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That's because it isn't really lead poisoning as you get in people. It is meant to be an even more severe equivalent to kryptonite, which is basically radiation poison. That's always been the thing with Daxamites. As powerful as Kryptonians, but with an even bigger weakness to a much more common substance.
    Does that mean bullets can pierce them?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    Clark would make a hell of a GL. His willpower is off the charts, pretty sure Parallax couldn't break through his will at all, he had to force Clark to let him in by holding civilians hostage. The willpower coupled with how fast he thinks and reacts/photographic memory, while using a thought-based weapon... Yeah. The kind of stuff Clark could fire off at the bell would be pretty rough.
    It's stuff like this that reminds me why I cannot ever take human GL members of the JL seriously. The only reason they are of any relevance is because the plot goes out of its way to ensure a good chunk of the most powerful members of the JL do not have rings. Otherwise, Hal, John, and Kyle would be completely irrelevant.

Like, Clark easily meets the requirements of both Green and Blue lantern rings, while Batman easily meets the requirements for green, blue, and yellow lantern rings. I am sure there are others, but when you know they totally could steal the show from the more iconic lanterns, but don't, its like; whyyyyyyy?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

To be honest I'm more annoyed that earth people have the strongest wills in the universe. The GLC contains all kinds of wacky aliens and it always struck me that there must be some species out there whose brain is just wired differently enough to vastly exceed human will power.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

To be honest I'm more annoyed that earth people have the strongest wills in the universe. The GLC contains all kinds of wacky aliens and it always struck me that there must be some species out there whose brain is just wired differently enough to vastly exceed human will power.
    But... but... but... Earth has puppies. Puppies are cute. Cute things must be protected no matter what. Thus, the strongest wills in the universe... except when they aren't. It's all puppies, man.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I feel like it's more like "short of a human's ability to kill everything especially themselves, they don't have much going for them compared to the rest of the universe... so we have to give them something".

And even then, not all that good at killing.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    After playing Resident Evil Village?

Ethan Winters.
    Seconded on that count.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    It's stuff like this that reminds me why I cannot ever take human GL members of the JL seriously. The only reason they are of any relevance is because the plot goes out of its way to ensure a good chunk of the most powerful members of the JL do not have rings. Otherwise, Hal, John, and Kyle would be completely irrelevant.

Like, Clark easily meets the requirements of both Green and Blue lantern rings, while Batman easily meets the requirements for green, blue, and yellow lantern rings. I am sure there are others, but when you know they totally could steal the show from the more iconic lanterns, but don't, its like; whyyyyyyy?
    Wonder Woman would be a shoe in for Green, and maybe Blue and Violet as well.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I nominate Emiya Shirou. Not only does he already specialize in creating and replicating super powerful weapons on sight and explicitly wants to be a superhero, but his willpower is explicitly more along the lines of a potentially suicidal mental disorder than anything else.

He kinda loses a point because we know that he can eventually be broken and end up abandoning his principles (both for better and for worse), but the stuff that's needed to get to that point would probably have also broken any other GL as well and the version of him that broke could hypothetically get past that trauma and possibly got his willpower groove back, stronger than ever.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

It's all written from a human point of view. Sci-Fi loves to give humananity these 'intangible' advantages over higher-tech alien races that allow us to 'win by dint of what we are, rather than technology'. Ie, we're better. It's rather arrogant.

There have been so many different versions of this over the years, 'why humans are special'. We have 'imagination', we know 'love', we 'build communities' when other races don't* (which, honestly, is ridiculous looking at how humankind is so damn tribal). Even 'we try harder'. In military fiction, it tends to boil down to 'we have more grit', or 'we are more inspired', or 'we have more ingenuity'.

It really becomes tiresome.

For my money, it's equally likely humanity's 'edge' over another race would be 'we breed faster'**. Or 'we're willing to sacrifice our poor as throw-away soldiers in conflicts'. Or 'our leaders don't care who suffers as long as they get their way, and the masses continue to support them.' Or 'thanks to capacity for hatred and tribalism, we do **** to our enemies that other races wouldn't even consider.' Etc.

But no, in fiction it's always some bright, inspirational reason that comes down to 'Cause Humans Are Intrinsically Better™.

I vastly prefer CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series, which has humanity and another race...different, not better.

* Yes, even the otherwise excellent Babylon 5 falls victim to this.

** Anima RPG, I just realized.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-11-2021 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Because this is a sore point with me, and I keep thinking of more stuff... ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate