Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

But boy, if they ever get a definitive, 100% ‘No’ (science evolves), I for one will be happy that all we can do is utterly wreck the place for the majority of currently-living species.

Bleagh.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Rock Lee from Naruto

Its been a while since I watched the series but I remember he was still walking after being knocked out unconscious because of his willpower.

He's always training and trying to be better. A GL Ring will give him endless possibilities

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Of course. And even that is reductive. Because the "negative" effects are primarily going to be in places where rich-ish people with loud voices live or visit. My parents, with waterfront property in south Florida. Buildings on the NY/Tokyo/Shanghai/Amsterdam/Hong Kong/Sydney waterfront. Resorts in Saint Barths or Majorca. Europe, if Greenland melts. There are a lot of places which would/could be better off, actually, given predicted effects of moderate warming, but those places are full of "those" people and we in the west and the rich East give basically zero f's about them.
    I'll just flag this as a big "could,"

And it's not just coastal regions that have immediate issues. Like, you look at the Syrian refugee crisis and how that was, at its very source, fuelled by issues caused by climate change. You look at the massive bush fires in Australia that happened during 2019. You look at Texas being frozen solid. You look at how the last successive hurricanes and storms broke records for windspeed and rainfall.

Extreme weather is a global issue. Sea levels rising is a big problem but it's just one part of the issue.

There's precious few places that would definitely do well out of climate shift. Like, coastal areas are /universally/ going to have issues regardless of economic development and there's lot of poor folks from less economically developed places that will also be devastated by it.

But yeah, how about those Green Lanterns tho?

Hint taken, Nik. . If anyone wants to discuss this further I’m more than happy to do via PM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Lantern-wise, there are a whole lot of villains who would make good Yellow Lanterns. My favorites would do just fine, but they're not the only ones. I mean, serious villains in fiction don't tend to be ignored or laughing-stocks. Sure, there are a lot of them who fly under the radar (and are dangerous because of that), but especially in comics they tend to be well-known for being highly dangerous and produce panicked reactions in lots of people just by showing up.
    Why are we here?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, I did say that Venus has a host of other problems, and that this is not considered to be one of the serious possibilities, just that it IS considered a possibility that we could trigger this. And that Venus is just an example.

But let's go with 'doomsaying'. <-- Don't particularly like this word.

https://www.technologyreview.com/201...fect-on-earth/

Here's an article that points out that even the people who are refuting the idea admit that it's possible and that their research doesn't take everything into account.

"Is there any missed physics or weak assumptions that have been made, which if corrected could mean that the runaway is a greater risk? We cannot answer this with the confidence which would make us feel comfortable.”

As an example of just one factor of which they are aware, they didn’t take clouds into account.

This was written back in 2012. Since then, we've learned that our permafrost melting - which is happening now - is another cycle that will warm the planet, because it'll dump untold amounts of methane into the atmosphere.

NOT to say that will trigger anything, but to point out 'we don't know a lot of stuff, and it's tending to show up more and more that the things we don't know are bad.'

Will it happen? Probably not. But as I pointed out, it's a possibility that even the scientists studying it say 'yeah, there's a chance. We don't know.' So to say 'there's no way we can annihilate the biosphere' maybe isn't a point of view we should have.

That was my entire point. Not to argue that it's going to happen.

But to quote me -

That's it.
    Oh, I understood that it was "possibility" you spoke of - I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking or denigrating. I wasn't.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'll just flag this as a big "could,"

And it's not just coastal regions that have immediate issues. Like, you look at the Syrian refugee crisis and how that was, at its very source, fuelled by issues caused by climate change. You look at the massive bush fires in Australia that happened during 2019. You look at Texas being frozen solid. You look at how the last successive hurricanes and storms broke records for windspeed and rainfall.

Extreme weather is a global issue. Sea levels rising is a big problem but it's just one part of the issue.

There's precious few places that would definitely do well out of climate shift. Like, coastal areas are /universally/ going to have issues regardless of economic development and there's lot of poor folks from less economically developed places that will also be devastated by it.

But yeah, how about those Green Lanterns tho?
    I strongly agree on the COULD being flagged.

However, I strongly disagree that the Syrian refugee crisis was remotely climate related. It was 100% related to, you know, the violent insurrectionists taking over the country and destroying the capacity to live of half the population.

But, back on Green Lanterns - I'm sure Trump and BoJo would be horrible ones. Macron and Merkel would be mediocre. Biden would be slightly better. Abe Lincoln would kick some ass. But not the Immortal version - because, well, there's no nice way to put it: he's a douche.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

If being a douche was enough to disqualify you we would lose some existing Lanterns. Cough cough Guy cough.

Astonishing Member

How could one not see that Trump would end up as one of those Orange Lantern clones? His personality certainly fits the orange lantern profile. Greedy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I strongly agree on the COULD being flagged.

However, I strongly disagree that the Syrian refugee crisis was remotely climate related. It was 100% related to, you know, the violent insurrectionists taking over the country and destroying the capacity to live of half the population.
    Nah it was at least partially due to farmland being destroyed by climate change. This fermented discord amongst people who became new refugees and allowed for ideology to spread easier.

I also wouldn't say negative effects would necessarily be centralized in Rich areas. If anything, they'll hit places like India badly (which is poor, and already too damn hot in the summers, the Middle East, etc. It's a consistent concern actually that these entire regions are going to get fucked by climate change, and they'll have to migrate, and it'll make the current refugee crisis in Europe and elsewhere look like small potatoes when potentially 1 million people have to migrate . Countries will have to show a heart or open mass border camps in that case if we don't halt carbon emissions.

The good news is that in terms of a runaway greenhouse effect I think even the worst estimates have it being controlled and stopped on account of us dying before it gets that bad.

In any case we're talking about a different kind of Green, one that's a Lantern, I would imagine bodybuilders should be up there somewhat. It's a lot of willpower to consistently eat boring stuff and workout all the time to stay fit
    Last edited by Postmania; 05-14-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post

In any case we're talking about a different kind of Green, one that's a Lantern, I would imagine bodybuilders should be up there somewhat. It's a lot of willpower to consistently eat boring stuff and workout all the time to stay fit
    There you go. I nominate the Rock. Dude is crazy. :-)

Bah! No one's will is mightier than Doom! He probably would also acquire the other lantern rings too and find a way to incorporate all of them with his already formidable powerset.

It bothers me that when people talk about marvel characters getting Green Lantern rings, the first name to be mentioned isn't Mandarin.

I mean, look at this guy.

There's no way he's passing up the chance to get MORE power rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It bothers me that when people talk about marvel characters getting Green Lantern rings, the first name to be mentioned isn't Mandarin.

I mean, look at this guy.

There's no way he's passing up the chance to get MORE power rings.
    All he needs to do is flip that M to 'W' for Wumbo, and he'll make a fine Orange Lantern.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

So, No one mentioned Haruto Soma from Kamen Rider Wizard, the guy who had so much willpower he beat the metaphysical manifestation of his despair up and made it his magic source, willed said magic source back to life when it was destroyed, physically beats up people's depression, and shrugged off a planetwide beam of solid despair before beating the villain like he stole something.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle