Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default J'Onn J'Onzz's 15-year fertile and fallow periods.

When you look at the popularity and prominence of J'Onn J'Onzz, the Martian Manhunter, since the character's introduction in 1955, a curious pattern emerges: his popularity appears to wax and wane in fifteen-year cycles.

From 1955 to around 1970, J'Onn was one of the pillars of DC's Silver Age, appearing regularly in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.

Around 1970, he largely disappears from DC's books, and makes only infrequent and sporadic appearances until 1985 and CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.

Post-COIE, J'Onn's popularity resurges, and through the end of the century, he's prominently featured in several iterations of the JUSTICE LEAGUE/JLA comics. He even headlines his own ongoing title for a time and has a major presence in the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated series. During this period, he actually manages to sustain his popularity until around 2005 and INFINITE CRISIS, after which J'Onn enters another fallow period that has now lasted sixteen years.

Is another J'Onn J'Onzz resurgence on the horizon?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

You know J'onn was in the Scott Snyder run of Justice League, right? Also, he's a regular in the Supergirl TV series, and was in Zack Snyder's version of the Justice League movie. His legacy character Miss Martian was also created in this so-called fallow period and is a regular in the Young Justice cartoon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I really hope there is a resurgence for the character.
    I enjoyed the Giffen/DeMatteis era and loved Morrison's take on J'Onn as the heart of the team.
    His own title was also pretty damn good.

The character definitely has legs.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I would gladly read a John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake book again!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I can’t say I am a huge fan of how the Supergirl TV show has been handling J’Onn or Snyder’s dull use of him in Justice League, but I think the character is always a good creative team away from greatness.

I think he's DC's ultimate supporting character. While he has had solid runs in the past, including a recent turn from Rob Williams, I think he works best and most consistently in the Justice League. It's always a pity when he's missing because he just doesn't get much exposure elsewhere.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I have to say that I agree that J'Onn has been one of the primary characters of the DCU for a while now. He's had a very prominent role in the DCU since his role in the Justice League cartoon I'd say.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I can’t say I am a huge fan of how the Supergirl TV show has been handling J’Onn or Snyder’s dull use of him in Justice League, but I think the character is always a good creative team away from greatness.
    What's wrong with his use in Supergirl?

I'm not sure what exactly is considered a resurgence for him? For example he had two 12 issues series since New 52 so its not like he was doing that much better 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm not sure what exactly is considered a resurgence for him? For example he had two 12 issues series since New 52 so its not like he was doing that much better 20 years ago.
    Well, compared to when he was on a spinoff book in the JLA, he was front-and-center on a high-profile JL run under Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I would gladly read a John Ostrander/Tom Mandrake book again!!
    That series was so damn good!!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's wrong with his use in Supergirl?
    I don't think there's anything wrong with his portrayal per se but he feels a lot more... human and homogenized than he does in the comics? But he's still front and center, he's a member of their Justice League, he's powerful.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with his portrayal per se but he feels a lot more... human and homogenized than he does in the comics? But he's still front and center, he's a member of their Justice League, he's powerful.
    My only real complaint is how little we see him in his Martian form, but I get that's a budget thing.

There is also the fact Miss Martian seems to be his lover, instead of pretending to be his niece.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There is also the fact Miss Martian seems to be his lover, instead of pretending to be his niece.
    Well, yeah, that took a minute .