Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

J'onn deserves another shot at a series; a chance to expand and explore his supporting cast (perhaps Miss Martian, Cameron Chase and the DEO, Jemm, and maybe Dr. Erdel's family) and his Rogues Gallery (his brother Ma'alefa'ak, Human Flame, The Headmaster, Despero and the White Martians)

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think he's built up enough awareness in other mediums the that a strong push could be right around the corner. He was prominent in Scott Snyder's JL, it's not impossible to imagine someone coming along and creating a J'onn-centered event.

Incredible Member

i liked his portrayal more in smallville over supergirl.

he was the heart of jlu.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's wrong with his use in Supergirl?
    It's too low-budget CW soap opera for my tastes.

Astonishing Member

Aren’t J’Onn’s problems the following?

• Difficulty being relatable
    • Difficultly being challengeable

First, he’s “a green man from Mars” and too different for many people identify with.

Next, he’s got most of Superman’s powers plus intangibility, invisibility, shape-shifting and telepathy. (DC has trouble challenging Superman.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

First, he’s “a green man from Mars” and too different for many people identify with.

Next, he’s got most of Superman’s powers plus intangibility, invisibility, shape-shifting and telepathy. (DC has trouble challenging Superman.)
    Those are all the actually cool powers though. Maybe if he didn't have all of Superman's powers, he'd be easier to deal with.

I don't know he's not relatable to others, though. Isn't it his personality, not his origin, which should matter?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Those are all the actually cool powers though. Maybe if he didn't have all of Superman's powers, he'd be easier to deal with.

I don't know he's not relatable to others, though. Isn't it his personality, not his origin, which should matter?
    It should.

As the frog sang, it's not easy being green.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That’s how I feel about all of the CW shows. I gave up on them a couple years ago. Tried to watch Superman/Lois Lane and I couldn’t even get through the second episode.

I love the character with all my heart but his analogue Barbalien has been much more interesting to me in recent years.

Ultimate Member

It should.

As the frog sang, it's not easy being green.
    Haha, true. He always seems like a likeable character to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That seems more an issue with the show itself than they're handling of J'onn (I mean, low-budget means less Martian Manhunter time and I already mentioned that).

I think he's plenty relateable. J'onn's a compassionate outcast living in an entirely different culture after losing his family and people to genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    That’s how I feel about all of the CW shows. I gave up on them a couple years ago. Tried to watch Superman/Lois Lane and I couldn’t even get through the second episode.
    That's a shame. I love SM&L...

Incredible Member

Isn't his main problem just that he was replaced by Cyborg? Or do people perceive that to be more of a film thing than a comics thing in the future?

His problem is getting overshadowed by the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman powerwise and overshadowed by Green Lantern and Flash personality wise.

I think he works better in a setting like JLI where he gets to be the League power house and stoic nature is used to play off of Guy, Booster and Ted's antics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Isn't his main problem just that he was replaced by Cyborg? Or do people perceive that to be more of a film thing than a comics thing in the future?
    I thought it was more perception

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That seems more an issue with the show itself than they're handling of J'onn
    I think the nature of the show isn't the best suited for the character. If this were a JLI show, the low budget J'Onn SFX would be perfect. But, J'Onn is not suited to moping around for 20 episodes of soap opera punctuated with occasional low-budget sci-fi action.