Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Default Curse of the Man-Thing: 50th Anniversary Mini-Series event

This has just wrapped up and was told in three one-shots vs a mini-series for some reason. Having three #1s to trick retailers into ordering it all I guess??

Grade: B

Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing
    Spider-man: Curse of the Man-Thing
    X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing

As a Man-Thing fan I found the slight altering of the origin to make Ted Sallis a bit more tragic than he already was may not have been necessary. However, it fits with the era of his creation...see also Johnny Blaze and his deal that was struck.

Harrower never felt like the up front foe enough for my tastes. She shows up in the first one shot, bests Man-Thing a bit too easy and then causes mayhem from a bit of a distance. Not having a short lived rematch with Man-Thing till the final act in the last issue.

I did appreciate tying Curt Connors into Ted's past. It seems the new communication gimmick is going to be in order for Ted to have a voice he will quickly cocoon you in order to talk to Ted. I'd rather go back to telepathy or even some vocal ability like he had at the end of the original Thunderbolts run.

Jennifer Kale shows up literally on the last page and then the whole thing is over. They indicate a possibility for more. I'm game. However unlike the Darkhawk one shot where they announced a new ongoing series we Man-Thing fans aren't entirely sure what is next. Glad to have this all the same.

Who else read this? Thoughts? Would you read more Man-Thing?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

so was boy thing dealt with at all? Still hanging with Blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    No Boy-Thing even with Blade being in the book. But there is no interaction between the two.

oh, the other issues came out?! I read the Avengers one and enjoyed it. Might as well pick up the rest and see how this story plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    we see Boy-Thing in the last Avengers issue (#45).
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I read the Avengers one and enjoyed it. Might as well pick up the rest and see how this story plays out.
    Same, picked up the Avengers/Man-Thing one shot and just ordered the Spiderman and X-men issues yesterday

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I keep forgetting that "Boy-Thing" is a, well...thing. Now that he's brought up it is interesting that with Blade being in this 3 part event his shoulder pal isn't.
    Perhaps there was already too much going on in these three issues to make room for Man & Boy Things to meet. Are we even sure Man-Thing/Ted Sallis knows that Boy-Thing exists. How he might exist? From what moment he sprang forth as a sentient something?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime