Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Every time this thread starts up again I'm reminded of this scene.

Yeah...I think people forget that Bruce became Batman as a response to his parents being gunned down by a street criminal. Not because they died due to poverty or systemic neglect.

When Bruce says he wants to 'save' Gotham, in his mind he envisions saving Gotham and its people from Joe Chill. Not from poverty. Yes, he realizes that there are socioeconomic factors that drive crime and he continues the philantrophic efforts of his parents to alleviate those and stop crime at its source. But ultimately, the whole idea behind Batman is stopping some gunman in an alleyway from taking another innocent life. That's what gives Bruce catharsis.

EDIT: Damn, I saw the video thumbnail and mistook it for another scene...the one where he has a nightmare about his parent's murder!

I still stand by my point though...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Bruce has had a named charitable foundation since the 60's, which funnels money into orphanages, drug rehabilitation centres, Leslie's clinic and other charitable concerns to help with the underlying causes of crime.

Since the New 52, every few years a writer will also bring in some grand plan to renovate the system with an eye on easing poverty and crime. Earlier, Rucka had him flaunting wealth to invest into Gotham that he funneled down to the poorer areas. Bruce/Wayne Enterprises is often seen or referenced as funding police equipment.

We've seen Batman and Bruce take on white collar crime.

Batman has many approaches in fighting for Gotham but only one is particularly interesting to read about in a comic.

One man can't save an entire city single-handedly. Even a Batman.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Man, I got to go throw away all my Batman comics. Nobody has ever asked this question before.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Man, I got to go throw away all my Batman comics. Nobody has ever asked this question before.
    Yes, the thread title is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's 'cause it'd be a very boring comic if 80s years of Batman was Bruce in meetings going over how much he's donating to which charity this month or in meetings he has with municipal poverty programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Bruce has had a named charitable foundation since the 60's, which funnels money into orphanages, drug rehabilitation centres, Leslie's clinic and other charitable concerns to help with the underlying causes of crime.

Since the New 52, every few years a writer will also bring in some grand plan to renovate the system with an eye on easing poverty and crime. Earlier, Rucka had him flaunting wealth to invest into Gotham that he funneled down to the poorer areas. Bruce/Wayne Enterprises is often seen or referenced as funding police equipment.

We've seen Batman and Bruce take on white collar crime.

Batman has many approaches in fighting for Gotham but only one is particularly interesting to read about in a comic.
    Joe Casey did have a run in Wildcats where Spartan turned Halo into the most powerful corporation in the world and tried to save the world through corporate power. While I didn't personally dig the run, there are a LOT of fans of it. So it's at least theoretically possible that a smart, big-ideas writer like Casey could write an entertaining (for many people) comic about Bruce using Wayne Enterprises to try to eliminate poverty and crime or otherwise change the world. (But it still probably wouldn't be realistic, as Spartan basically had to use alien technology in his plans, plans that were never even completed in Wildcats before the book was canceled).

So I take it Batman hasn't been ruined for anyone yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    So I take it Batman hasn't been ruined for anyone yet?
    Well, not by what the OP came up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickswordfish View Post
    Instead of being Batman, why doesn't Bruce Wayne just use his financial resources to getting rid of poverty in Gotham? That would almost surely get rid of the crime

BANNED

Why a peak human like Batman didnt die in a shootout in his first week of crime fighting is a better question.

I think the real question we should be asking is why Bruce hasn't bought all the abandoned toy factories and amusement parks in Gotham and had them bulldozed to the ground yet.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Joker got the death penalty in a Golden Age story too - this was back when he wasn't considered insane. I don't remember how he got out of it in that story.

Honestly, given real-world politics around the death penalty and rehabilitation vs. retribution, legal loopholes, and the insanity plea, its actually not that implausible that the Joker is never executed no matter how many people he kills. The authorities need to do things by the book, and there will always be a lawyer who can help the Joker exploit the loopholes. I'm pretty sure the DCU has its own contingent of activists, like the real-world, who'll oppose any attempt to execute the Joker, or even try him as a competant adult. Hell, there's probably even a bit of public support for him (White Knight is a good example of that kind of thing, and even New 52 'Tec had a scene where Batman had to fight through a pro-Joker rally).
    Joker got the chair and died in the Golden Age! But, two moves ahead as always, had his henchmen take his body and revive him with some vague chemical solution. Having paid his debt to society, he spends the majority of the story parading around Gotham "an innocent man", taunting Batman until he eventually reverts back to crime.

Doesn't he do it already with his Wayne Foundation or I'm missing something?

"Money is the key to end all your woes."

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    That might serve as a solution to street level crime but doesn't address the Arkham crowd, which probably is a factor as to why Gotham is in such financial dire straits.
    Nor would it address the dire off-world threats Batman has repeatedly helped fend off.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."