Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who likes Diana Prince. The secret id adds a lot more to the mythos than anything else, that's why all the live action depictions feature it. Off and on we've had 40 years of Diana being an ambassador in the comics and it's run it's course. No one has taken the role seriously since Rucka and if it's not fleshed out and serious what's the point? I'm partial to Agent Prince but I loved her as an owner of a boutique as well. I'll tell why later, I'm on lunch and have 10 minutes to drive back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who likes Diana Prince. The secret id adds a lot more to the mythos than anything else, that's why all the live action depictions feature it. Off and on we've had 40 years of Diana being an ambassador in the comics and it's run it's course. No one has taken the role seriously since Rucka and if it's not fleshed out and serious what's the point? I'm partial to Agent Prince but I loved her as an owner of a boutique as well. I'll tell why later, I'm on lunch and have 10 minutes to drive back to work.
    You aren’t the only one! I’m always here for secret ID Diana Prince.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I love the secret ID as well. I think it adds a lot to her storylines and the great thing about it is that she can reach the point where she leaves Diana Prince behind and becomes Diana of Themyscira and becomes the ambassador.

I'm fond of secret identities in general, and in particular for Diana, too.

I particularly like the idea of her having some ability to experience this new culture as (perceived) normal person. I think it would help her be part of this world, which I'm much a fan of. Sure, she can have friends as WW, but she's a celebrity and sometimes an ambassador. Even aside from official/legal perks, she wouldn't have the same experience of waiting in line and filling out paperwork and grocery-shopping without getting stopped for autographs. I'm very much a fan in general of heroes interacting with non-capes - in today's comics, it often feels like they live a very insular lifestyle. Obviously, as time goes on, it's reasonable for the people closest to them (romantic or platonic) to learn the truth, and so we do lose an element there, though we gain new ones. And Steve and Etta were always action-heavy, even if not superheros, and I enjoy that, too.

Unfortunately, I don't have a strong idea on *what* Diana Prince should be. An actual military position is not acceptable to me. It worked in WWII, but the world has changed, the military has changed, and the perception of the military has changed. I really do think her origin and secret identity being tied so specifically to that has been an obstacle at times (though sometimes overcome) since the end of WWII. I'm okay with the museum work, but don't have any great love for it. I seem to recall her working on the purple ray, but that doesn't qualify to US-based credentials or the knowledge of our medical procedures, and publishing ground-breaking work might draw too much scrutiny, maybe? Definitely wouldn't like to see her an alternative medical practitioner unless she went the route of evidence-based and with peer-reviewed testing, and that brings up back to the attention aspect.

Unlike with Raven or Tora, Diana does come from a highly technologically advanced society (sometimes) and has been involved in producing the the technology, not just consume (like most of us do, and again it's only sometimes), and could reasonably have skills that allow for a high-paying or high-status job. I don't mind her having a faked degree (even PhD) to facilitate that. But being the star in the field with faked credentials and a secret identity could easily make that house of cards collapse.

BTW, I would find it interesting seeing Tora (who for the most part has only had superheroing as a profession) or Raven doing mundane, low skill work for low pay. Not every character has to be well-off. I do love the wish-fulfillment and I-want-to-be-them-aspect of older stories, too, though, so I can see not going that route. Despite realism, I really don't want the constant financial struggles to cause constant angst and stress without things ever getting better. But somewhere in the non-worrying-but-have-rented-home-and-can't-spend-freely (eating out a lot, vacations, etc.) neighborhood would okay.

Does anyone have particular preference for what kind of work she does - blue collar, pink collar, white collar? Advanced education or not? Status level and income generated from it? She and Clark (and Bruce, too, for that matter) all started out in the Golden Age lower on the income/fame scale than they are today.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 05-08-2021 at 10:51 AM.

As long as she doesn’t have 3 identities like that pilot.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Museum curator, who doesn't like museums?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Museum curator, who doesn't like museums?
    Depends on what type of museum it is.

Being curator for, say, the National Mustard Museum (in Middleton, WI) may not be as useful for multiple story ideas.

And Diana would probably have to fight Condiment King at some point.

Extraordinary Member

As a Superhero, Diana needs a job with very flexible hours, in order to not lose it when she is off doing hero things

Retired

In the comics, isn't she always in the army from 1941 until 1968? I know in the T.V. show they make her a Navy Yeoman, but in the comics Wonder Woman takes the identity of the real Diana Prince, who is an Army nurse and 2nd Lt.. Diana remusters to the O.S.S. as a secretary. Eventually she becomes a Major in what is now Military Intelligence.

In 1968 she quits and gets her own boutique in Soho, N.Y., but since Diana Prince spends all her time having adventures all over the world, I figure that's her real occupation. The boutique is just a place to hang her hat and make some money. I imagine she has other people handling the daily management of the boutique, so she has time for all her globe-trotting.

It's in the 1970s when Diana Prince goes through the most jobs. I can't keep track of them all. But it's not just her that suffers from these many changes. A lot of super-heroes around that time kept hopping from one job to another, and one city to another. I think Linda Danvers has even more pursuits. Well, most of the super-heroes had flagging sales, so all these changes were because they kept trying something new to get the sales up.

I liked the boutique angle because she's an immigrant who has to immerse herself in a new culture to sell them product. It's unlikely because the Amazons mostly wear armor and togas so fashion would be a foreign concept to them. Though if she went with what she knows, a boutique featuring unique designs made from silk and steel could work and become successful, giving Diana plenty of time for Wonder Woman.

WW DP CHAMPAGNE GIF.jpg

I have GOT to figure out how to post a gif on CBR they never work.

It's unlikely because the Amazons mostly wear armor and togas so fashion would be a foreign concept to them.
    That seems off to me. Not saying it's never been that way in the comics, but it doesn't completely work for me given historical cultures they might sort of be related too. Fashion (or status by clothing, anyway, which isn't really quite the same) is very, very old. Same with jewelry. I like the idea of them being fond of perfume, but that's rather off-topic to this. How capitalistic their culture is (v. palace economy or several other economic systems) would be an issue. But none of those rally matter because Diana is so very far past origin. The present is after she's been around and spending time in America in for many years, so what was foreign when she was new to this place is now old hat.

I have GOT to figure out how to post a gif on CBR they never work.
    You post a gif the same way you post an image but you go over to the From URL tab and uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box.

Also a gif won't always work depending on what website you get it from so you might have to go gif shopping (heh) for a new one, or the same one on a different website.

If it's because of the file format, there sites where you can convert images into formats that this site will accept. I use them to convert webp images to jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    That seems off to me. Not saying it's never been that way in the comics, but it doesn't completely work for me given historical cultures they might sort of be related too. Fashion (or status by clothing, anyway, which isn't really quite the same) is very, very old. Same with jewelry. I like the idea of them being fond of perfume, but that's rather off-topic to this. How capitalistic their culture is (v. palace economy or several other economic systems) would be an issue. But none of those rally matter because Diana is so very far past origin. The present is after she's been around and spending time in America in for many years, so what was foreign when she was new to this place is now old hat.
    I don't know, I feel like fashion is all about the style of the moment. It's mercurial, it changes and evolves, ebbs and flows based on whatever is on trend at the time. You need outside influences and travel and the Amazons don't get a whole lot of that.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    You post a gif the same way you post an image but you go over to the From URL tab and uncheck the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box.

Also a gif won't always work depending on what website you get it from so you might have to go gif shopping (heh) for a new one, or the same one on a different website.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If it's because of the file format, there sites where you can convert images into formats that this site will accept. I use them to convert webp images to jpg.
    Thanks so much!