Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Well, part of the issue with Jason here is that Lobdell’s writing for the character was often kind of “cordoned off” from the rest of the Batbooks, amending that what should be classified as a “definitive” handling of the character is often met with apathy, disinterest, or even disagreement from people who turned on Lobdell for various reasons.

As much as I despise Lobdell though, and am personally apathetic towards his output on Jason in general... I actually did like the more mellow,seen-it-all portrayal of the character,

I still think he should be the most aggressive, acerbic, and belligerent Robin, but not in an impulsive and hotheaded way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    It is really interesting how fans always claim that they want their favorites to be three dimensional, but get mad when they don't act as flawless Mary Sue.

Is Jason being idiotic and reckless here? Absolutely, but it makes sense because he is being emotional and not thinking clearly since the case is becoming personal to him. It's the same with how he acted when he found out about his father and what the Penguin did to him. So, Jason isn't being ooc here and it's actually close to his characterization in rhato (and in general).
    It's exactly this.
    I think I did mention that example in our Jason thread. But in case I didn't, it's that same reaction pretty much.
    Also, as I also mentioned, not even real, flesh and bone persons, are always one directional in their devel0opmen. We tend to have our fallbacks. And the whole case was stressful to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Well, part of the issue with Jason here is that Lobdell’s writing for the character was often kind of “cordoned off” from the rest of the Batbooks, amending that what should be classified as a “definitive” handling of the character is often met with apathy, disinterest, or even disagreement from people who turned on Lobdell for various reasons.

As much as I despise Lobdell though, and am personally apathetic towards his output on Jason in general... I actually did like the more mellow,seen-it-all portrayal of the character,

I still think he should be the most aggressive, acerbic, and belligerent Robin, but not in an impulsive and hotheaded way.
    Edit: That description fits some fanfic depictions, and maybe, maybe the AK Jason... at times. And, huh, Morrison's to some degree. I don't like it.

With both Winnick's and Lobdell's writing in hand (and many other writers, actually), he's way far from that. Is he belligerent? Sometimes he is, sometimes he's not. Is he a hothead? Rarely, just when he has a meltdown. He's aggresive, but not overly. He's, if anything, a violent character. But that doesn't mean he's actively aggressive everywhere you read him. And thanks for those small miracles, because that sure gets old too soon. Edit: being caring and affective towards those he cares about makes him likeable, too.

Damian is consistently way more belligerent than Jason. Edit: and acerbic. Yeah, I doubt you could say any bat is a hothead, by nature of them all being quite methodical. Which, mind you, Jason is quite a lot under his main writers. When he has a plan, he usually follows coldly and tactical. Only when it touches him to a certain deep emotional level he heats his temper.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 05-11-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: ok, now it's more like what I meant to say

Chip is slaying this and it made be buy his JL book today (which is also good) please please p!ease D.C. Give the main title book to Chip!! PLEASE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Is it, though? Jason kills in Gotham and Bruce is quite understanding about it, their relationship isn't bad at all. That's a development that's been continued.
    Jason is also extremely upset about drug in Gotham. In UtRH, he took over the drug dealers.

Personally, I like this version of Jason. Lobdell did a great work but I'm honestly finding this one endearing, if only because you can see he always means well and had accepted that he'll never see eyes to eyes with Bruce. He's a very humane and complex caracter here, at least to me.

Amazing Member

Expensive book for the fact that i mostly read it for the Red Hood story.
    But that one is good, im really enjoying it.

The one thing i always find a bit "murky" is that Bruce is so against Killing, but lets Jason off the hook a bit easy.
    Its a bit of a tricky thing to me, but i dont think too often about this.
    You need to give it a bit leash to work in general, that goes for everything Batman or DC related, because otherwise you dont stop questioning and never enjoy something.

Still, i really like where this story goes and love the interaction between Bruce and Jason.

BANNED

Best book. Great Batman.

Bruce vs Batman as healer vs law enforcer. Give Zdarsky more than a mini series please.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    The one thing i always find a bit "murky" is that Bruce is so against Killing, but lets Jason off the hook a bit easy..
    Zdarsky writes Batman as a healer more than a law enforcer. Bruce let Jason heal the kid. Batman's main drive to fight crime has alway been about preventing others from suffering like he does.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 05-12-2021 at 05:27 AM.

Amazing Member

The more Human Batman is, the better imo.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    You can't be serious. Scaring the **** out of people is literally the whole reason for Bruce to dress like a bat. And again, he only wanted to talk with the guy who actually broke his promise with Batman by joining Freeze's gang.

What he was arguing with Jason was using violence just for violence's sake. He didn't contradict himself at any point.

Actually, the whole thing is another example of Zdarsky missing completely the point of Jason as a character. The two main reasons that drove Jason to use the lethal option with criminals were: doing acts so horrible that killing them is justified and those rare few that simply aren't scared from Batman. In this issue Jason was merely lashing out and essentially acting like a bully.
    I'm serious. Please go and read the Lady Shiva story if you want a depiction of Bruce that deserves to be called "pretty decent guy, a well-meaning father that is trying his hardest".

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I don't care about Shiva, so nah.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkViKing View Post
    Expensive book for the fact that i mostly read it for the Red Hood story.
    But that one is good, im really enjoying it.

The one thing i always find a bit "murky" is that Bruce is so against Killing, but lets Jason off the hook a bit easy.
    Its a bit of a tricky thing to me, but i dont think too often about this.
    You need to give it a bit leash to work in general, that goes for everything Batman or DC related, because otherwise you dont stop questioning and never enjoy something.

Still, i really like where this story goes and love the interaction between Bruce and Jason.
    Yeah it's really expensive. I don't care for Outsiders and Grifter too.
    I expected more from Shiva story, not one of her best.

I'm really enjoying Zdarsky's Jason story instead. It's the one I'm waiting for every month and the only reason to spend these money.
    Next month Tim Drake! I'm waiting for it.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Chip really should get a run on Batman.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Yeah it's really expensive. I don't care for Outsiders and Grifter too.
    I expected more from Shiva story, not one of her best.

I'm really enjoying Zdarsky's Jason story instead. It's the one I'm waiting for every month and the only reason to spend these money.
    Next month Tim Drake! I'm waiting for it.
    I can't wait for timmy either

Incredible Member

Who is Grifter's friend? Many had speculated that it was Zealot (since they were lovers in the original Wildstorm universe), but she didn't have an android body that could record 4K video from her eyes, haha. Personality is off, too. I guess it could be Maxine Winchester, although that'd be weird since Maxine wasn't that big a character back in the day. Oh well, we'll see.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Who is Grifter's friend? Many had speculated that it was Zealot (since they were lovers in the original Wildstorm universe), but she didn't have an android body that could record 4K video from her eyes, haha. Personality is off, too. I guess it could be Maxine Winchester, although that'd be weird since Maxine wasn't that big a character back in the day. Oh well, we'll see.
    Most likely is Ladytron (Maxine Manchester*).
    Personality certainly fits the bill. Plus she's an android/robot.
    She was also a prominent character in WC 3.0 I believe.

I’ve really been enjoying this book. It’s great getting to read stories about the extended Bat/Gotham characters. The Outsiders story was just ok but it was still cool to see them without Batman on the team.

I know Grifter can be polarizing with fans but I’m loving his story here. Focusing less on the Wildcats sci fi stuff and more just street level merc action has been awesome. Rosenberg hasn’t been writing Cole over the top but is still capturing his SOB personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Most likely is Ladytron (Maxine Manchester*).
    Personality certainly fits the bill. Plus she's an android/robot.
    She was also a prominent character in WC 3.0 I believe.
    It definitely could be Ladytron. Whoever it was who reached for the laptop had what looked to be a robotic arm. Also, she’s a character created by Alan Moore so I’m sure DC just couldn’t resist.